Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fully Comp or 3rd Party?

Options
  • 02-03-2006 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I thought this would have been a popular enough topic and checked all the posts but no luck.
    I got a new car and getting car insurance for the first time in my life. I am a bit confused about makiing a choice between Fully Comprehensive and 3rd Party fire and theft insurance. Can someone tell me what would be the advantages and disadvantages.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Third party only covers the third party i.e. the other car(s) so if you are in an accident the other cars are insured and not yours. So if yours is a write-off you are not covered

Fully Comp covers you too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

TPFT covers you for 3rd party damage, fire and theft - if you crash into someone their car repair bills and any personal dmaages claim. It does not cover your own repair costs.

Comp. is comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Third party only covers the third party i.e. the other car(s) so if you are in an accident the other cars are insured and not yours. So if yours is a write-off you are not covered

Fully Comp covers you too

If you're in an accident that you're at fault for that is - although I'm sure thats what you meant.

One thing that sways it for me everytime now is the whole uninsured drivers issue. If you're Fully Comp, and get hit by an uninsured driver, you can claim immediately against your own policy, which in turn claims against the MIBI - and your no claims bonus isn't affected. If you're covered tpft, you have to make a claim through the MIBI, which can take quite a while and leave you stuck without your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

For me, if you're buying a new car that's worth a lot and the price difference between 3rd party and comp is affordable then get the comp. It's worth the peace of mind if nothing else.

If you're driving a banger and/or the price difference between the policies is huge then don't bother.

That's my plain and simple formula for determining which to get ;)

Advertisement