Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU election results

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

hey, i understand PRSTV and all that, but we were told on the ballot sheet to Mark and X as to which candidate we wanted. how can there be votes transferred if its just X's?

Also any news on the Referendum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

hey, i understand PRSTV and all that, but we were told on the ballot sheet to Mark and X as to which candidate we wanted. how can there be votes transferred if its just X's?

Uhmm....it was just X's on the votes for the Referendum, wasn't it?

Everything else was the usual numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

*raises glass to a less communist SU this year*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Pythia wrote:

Hey! Communism works, its the people that run it that don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

psi wrote:
    Hey! Communism works, its the people that run it that don't.

mmmmmmmm ya sure it does

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

...and the Sebastian Jinx continues, with only 1 of the people the famous Bum voted for actually winning.

And that guy was unopposed.

/weeps for humanity

/realises SebtheBum won't be here next year

HOORAY!!! (ala Zoidberg)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Damn i was really hoping kate would win.
    Also no one i voted for won anything, weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Pythia wrote:

I second that motion!

So so happy Duffy didn't get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Just an update: after Canny's transfers Redmond actually won it by 22, but it was so close that Morgan declared a recount himself, due to the possibility of initially spoiled votes being genuinely valid and vice versa.

The recount is tomorrow at 2pm.

passive wrote:
    Oh no... oh no.. what does that mean exactly? I don't get the quota bit but is that final? =(
    Well, basically, if the RONs involved don't have any second preferences (I believe of the 300-odd there were only 70 that had a second pref attached) then after everything's been done you eliminate the lowest candidate. This was done, Kate was eliminated, leaving Brian as the only nominee remaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

In ents Holly + Dave are on 1500ish with Dave 22 ahead. The recount tomorrow starts from scratch, unlike the General Elections, so with about 4250 valid votes I reckon a margin of error around 1% could swing it for Holly.

I have to say this year's results have made me think Canvassing on Election day should be banned. It was mental at loads of the polling stations and it's gives a far too great advantage to those with big election teams, which is by no means an indication of a candidates ability. Also, it would limit people's ability to break the rules to get votes. Dave send out texts messages (I got one neway +so did loads of people I know), and apparently had his team handing out cans of Red Bull, but cause he did them on the 2nd election day, no punishment could make any real impact on his votes, short of being disqualified.

Just to clarify, he WAS fined €40 and 100 manifestos, so it's not as if it went without being dealt with. Of course, the argument could still stand that it didn't really impact on his votes but he was punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Pythia wrote:

The left have been dealt a viscious blow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Oh I know he was punished, it's just that the punishment wouldn't have had an effect on the votes at all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Youre all insane, you realise you wont hear from the SU at all this year, youve voted in every chancer in the place to sit around doing nothing.

/me chooses to ignore an insult to his good mate Barry Colfer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Hmmm... I detect a distinct anti-Red air here; I might just go to the Boards Beers after all and fly the flag!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

phew-justice has been done in UCD.I'm just so pleased Dan got in.I wish Orla had done better though cos its sad to see just how girls just dont stand a chance of getting voted president in UCD.:(
    Was delighted with the others that won.Think it will be a really strong team but I have to admit with all my bashing of the womens officer position then I take it back for next year.With a union full of guys a womens officer will be desperatly needed in 06/07.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

you should go for it!

Scraggs wrote:
    you should go for it!

Have been thinking about it........panda hears a collective groan from the board.ie'ers:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Go on shure... only thing that might go against ya is what ya've said about the position in the past... but you could use this as an opportunity to make it a less cringe-worthy role than it sounds! [god my english is dreadful..]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Cmon Redmond....recount on now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

At the end I have to say i'm rather disappointed - none of those elected had any real idea of issues facing students in health sciences. Dan campaigned on the promise of more funding for travel expenses for nurses whilst completely forgetting about expenses whilst on placement - it should be noted that nurses expenses are paid by an bord altranais not UCD, students who are paid by UCD should be a bigger priority, actually students who receive nothing should be. It's all great that they want to speed up the payment of grants, hell it's damn well needed but shouldn't they also be considering trying to extend grants for those whose course requires them to stay in college longer i.e. on clinical placement?Radiography students receive no funding for travel, living, uniforms or work done, physios only get expenses when outside of dublin and even then they're not great. Yes nurses have more votes but it'd be nice to have seen someone who showed a genuine interest and knowledge of the issues getting through.

In saying that, those who made it a real part of there campaign, i.e. Enda and Kate were heavily supported by Jane Horgan Jones, someone who was involved in the payments campaign this year.

Love to see Dave get ents though - seems a good man for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

any results as of yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

At the end I have to say i'm rather disappointed - none of those elected had any real idea of issues facing students in health sciences. Dan campaigned on the promise of more funding for travel expenses for nurses whilst completely forgetting about expenses whilst on placement - it should be noted that nurses expenses are paid by an bord altranais not UCD, students who are paid by UCD should be a bigger priority, actually students who receive nothing should be. It's all great that they want to speed up the payment of grants, hell it's damn well needed but shouldn't they also be considering trying to extend grants for those whose course requires them to stay in college longer i.e. on clinical placement?Radiography students receive no funding for travel, living, uniforms or work done, physios only get expenses when outside of dublin and even then they're not great. Yes nurses have more votes but it'd be nice to have seen someone who showed a genuine interest and knowledge of the issues getting through.

I had a flyer devoted entirely to clinical placement. Still lost health sciences, and had one med student giving out to me because clinical placement payment diverts money from other areas of the health service which need it more (in her opinion). :rolleyes:

No need to worry stepherunie.Of course Dan and Dave have a genuine intrest and knowledge of these issues-you just cant write everything you wanna do on yout manifesto.There was a rep from almost every year in medicine on Dan's campaign team and also there was lots of rep's from radiography and nursing.Believe me,we wouldnt have supported Dan if I knew he had no intrest in our plight.
    I do think its easier said than done about extending grants to nurses and radiographers,as you suggested.If the goverment extend it to these there would be uproar cos there's a lot more than just nurses that have to do clinical placements.Med Lab students,speech therapy students,meds,physios,pharmicists etc would ALL have to be included under this scheme cos we all do clinical placements.This would end up costing squilions and so Dans ideas of uniforms for rent etc are slightly more feasible in the short term.

I had one of your fliers, it was exactly what radiographers have been campaigning for and i know you got a big vote from them.

And yes, you will have people giving out saying we're diverting funds - the answer is we're not asking for it to be taken entirely from the HSE, UCD should be forced to help cover the cost - it's not all down to the HSE to pay it, if UCD want to run these courses and have good graduates then they need to address these issues.

What it all comes down to is that UCD are willing to put some students at an economic disadvantage because of the course they choose. It's off putting for some students because why would they do a four year degree here and be in college for extra time - in the case of radiographers until july for two years when they can just go to england and be in college until july but be in college for only three years? And so the brain drain shall begin.

Thank god Philip Nolan has finally decided to get his ass in gear and standardise payments to all students on placements such as clinical - itst just when will that happen? Anyone care to hold there breath until that happens? I'm not anyway.

panda100 wrote:
    No need to worry stepherunie.Of course Dan and Dave have a genuine intrest and knowledge of these issues-you just cant write everything you wanna do on yout manifesto.There was a rep from almost every year in medicine on Dan's campaign team and also there was lots of rep's from radiography and nursing.Believe me,we wouldnt have supported Dan if I knew he had no intrest in our plight.
    I do think its easier said than done about extending grants to nurses and radiographers,as you suggested.If the goverment extend it to these there would be uproar cos there's a lot more than just nurses that have to do clinical placements.Med Lab students,speech therapy students,meds,physios,pharmicists etc would ALL have to be included under this scheme cos we all do clinical placements.This would end up costing squilions and so Dans ideas of uniforms for rent etc are slightly more feasible in the short term.

Of course it's easier said than done extending grants but isn't it something that should be done in the long term? Just to clarify - what i meant about grants was increasing them for those who were already on grants in these courses - if they're on a grant already this is necessary - I didn't mean grants should be given to everyone. Sorry, bad editing on my part.

As someone who was heavily involved in trying to get better funding this year I know the score, grants should be a long term goal. What this college needs is to wake up and get with the programme. Last year I tried to get UCD to let 8 first year radigraphers stay living on campus until the 3rd of June while they finished placements. Those with exams were allowed stay but we were told by the Vice President for students that because we had known about placements when we had signed our leases (incidently we didn't know that they ran over our term of lease at the time) it was our problem thus we wouldn't be allowed stay. And anyway they had already rented out all our rooms for the summer.

It's this kind of issue that should be addressed. If Dan wants to continue the work that Jane has put in this year that would be great. There are simple, practical solutions that UCD could bring in, like reserving part of res during the summer for students on placements - ok they'd lose some revenue but it's a practical solution to a practical problem. Giving students bus tickets when they're on placement - simple - not overly expensive but it would be greatly appreciated. Doing a course with placements shouldn't cost the earth, we should be trying to get people interested in these kinds of courses - not putting them off with the cost of the course in terms of rent, travel, extra living expenses etc. This is how it should be right now, we should not have to be fighting for these - if some students can already get them - I cite Physios when they're outside of dublin, why do radiographers who don't have the choice to go outside of dublin not get help?

yeah-no i see your point.Summer accommodation should definatly be cheaply and freely in belfield available for those students on placement.Its usually something ridiculous in the summer like 30euro for one night in merville.

• Advertisement

That wasn't even a starter last year - they had no space for people willing to pay if I remember correctly - it was a case of get out and stay out. Everyone had to end up crashing with friends. A few people in digs also suffered the same fate actually, the landloards didn't want them around after everyone had gone home for the summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement