Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU election results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

What song was Enda singing on the podium? I nkow its really famous but I can't remember the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Redmond has won!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Yay, well done dave.

What was the final tally of votes do you know?

It was apparently by 9 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

so who our our new sabatical whingers?? cant be arsed readin through it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Steph, I agree that you should be paid for placement, at at least minimum wage, when it occurs outside of standard college term, as it cuts into your ability to earn money for the next academic year. But at the end of the day, you chose the course. The obligation on the HEA is to pay your course fees, not support you in college. It's sh!t, but that's life. Students in other faculties may not have the same number of hours, but the workload is different - all that time "lazy arts students" (for example) spend working in part-time jobs is, if over 10 hours a week, effectively designated study time. We compromise things, our timetable allows us to do that. But then again, we chose this course. What'd happen if there were no "free" fees? People wouldn't stop studying Medicine or Radiography. So it's tough for you for 4 years - then you qualify and walk into a €45,000 per annum (starting rate) job. Whereas thousands of other students in Science for example have
    the same level of hours per week during term and are guaranteed SFA on graduation. Hello Conduit, goodbye sanity. Things might not be nice, but everything has a payoff in the end - yours will be in two and a half years time. Do other students outside of the health services faculty have the same level of guarantee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Ah the recount was well tense earlier, only 9 in it at the end which is 0.002% of the valid poll. Have to say the €460 budget is a bit of a farce. Redmond had 2 lawyers to examine the iffy ballot papers for him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

dajaffa wrote:
    Ah the recount was well tense earlier, only 9 in it at the end which is 0.002% of the valid poll. Have to say the €460 budget is a bit of a farce. Redmond had 2 lawyers to examine the iffy ballot papers for him...

What??!oh jeez the poor girl only loosing by 9-thats tough.

fairly harsh alright...does that mean no women officers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

who won education?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

No female officers. Brian Doyle got education by a few hundred. It was a lot closer than I thought it would be.

Awww poor kate. There is always next year

Grimes wrote:
    Awww poor kate. There is always next year

lads lads lads can someone just list out the winners please

oh ya grimes change ur avatar back your new one is crap:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

tintinr35 wrote:
    oh ya grimes change ur avatar back your new one is crap:eek:
    Heh heh heh... Fantastic.

I was gonna say it but... having that come from the Mod of Art Appreciation is so much better.

Pres: Dan Hayden
    Deputy: Dave Curran
    Welfare: Barry something-or-other
    Education: Brian Doyle
    Ents: Dave Redmond

Barry Colfer*

SebtheBum wrote:
    Heh heh heh... Fantastic.

I was gonna say it but... having that come from the Mod of Art Appreciation is so much better.

Pres: Dan Hayden
    Deputy: Dave Curran
    Welfare: Barry something-or-other
    Education: Brian Doyle
    Ents: Dave Redmond

i think anyone can APPRECIATE that its crap!!!!!! ( sorry grimes but really!!!)

long live the cock* it looks like its an all male union

*and bull i totally disagree with this sexist male dominated union

Blush_01 wrote:
    So it's tough for you for 4 years - then you qualify and walk into a €45,000 per annum (starting rate) job. Whereas thousands of other students in Science for example have the same level of hours per week during term and are guaranteed SFA on graduation. Hello Conduit, goodbye sanity. Things might not be nice, but everything has a payoff in the end - yours will be in two and a half years time. Do other students outside of the health services faculty have the same level of guarantee?

So is it right that students from lower socio economic backgrounds are disadvantaged during there years of study because they decided to choose a course that has a high employment rate following graduation? People can be put of doing courses with summer places simply because they can't afford to not work during the summer, that's not right either. I see your point but isn't the point of college to help people get a job? Penalising students because of the employment rates from there course after graduation isn't exactly fair.

Oh and to clarify starting pay for radiography is 30,000e before tax. This does not include on call however.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

either. I see your point but isn't the point of college to help people get a job?

No, I don't think that's the point at all. The point of college is for you to get further education.
    Oh and to clarify starting pay for radiography is 30,000e before tax. This does not include on call however

That's about 10grand more than what I'll be getting when I leave!

Pythia wrote:
    No, I don't think that's the point at all. The point of college is for you to get further education.

That's about 10grand more than what I'll be getting when I leave!

And the more educated you are the more statistically likely you are to get a job, it's an important fact.

I will admit its a good level of pay, i still don't see why people should be penalised for it.
    Next thing people will be saying med students and students in courses where there is a high level of employment and high pay rate after qualification shouldn't be getting grants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Can't believe no women at all are in office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Stepherunie, this is the elections results thread.
    If you want to discuss another issue I'd appreciate it if you'd start another thread instead of dragging this one off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Can't believe no women at all are in office.

Women did put themselves up for election, the electorate picked men. Anyway what does it matter really? It's not like the SU are gonna be horribly misogynistic this year or something.
    I don't take people's gender into account when looking at how well people do/will do their jobs. It's totally stupid to vote for some just because of their gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I didn't vote based on gender, i'm just surprised that theres no women.

Stepherunie, this is the elections results thread.
    If you want to discuss another issue I'd appreciate it if you'd start another thread instead of dragging this one off-topic.

Sorry, i'm back on track.

Would have been good to see a least one girl elected - obviously the girls running had weaker mandates in the eyes of voters. Although we did have 13 candidates running and only 4 girls - I think we need to get more girls involved in the SU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Girls dont vote for girls especially in the presendential race-it's a sad but simple truth:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I voted against Michelle Keegan because I felt that her manifesto focused solely on women, whereas the guy's tackled mental health which covers both genders.

tintinr35:oh ya grimes change ur avatar back your new one is crap
    Scraggs:I agree!
    Seb:was gonna say it but... having that come from the Mod of Art Appreciation is so much better

Jesus Lads. I spent ages looking for that. Anyway Long live the new regime . Is this the end of SU election talk? Now back to flaming conversation. . So that local sports team huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MaxBax

does anyone have a list they can link me to showing the different candidates for the different positions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement