Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kittens age?

Options
  • 02-03-2006 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

What is the youngest age a kitten should be seperated from its mother?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

If it's going to a new home as an only cat then 12 weeks seems to be the recommended age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It all depends - its best to be at least 8 weeks 12 is better - but I have had cats from 4 weeks old due to mothers dying etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

My friends cat had kittens about a week ago and her father being of the old school farm mentality wanted to drown them, the horror. She has convinced him to give her a few weeks to find homes for them. So they'll be about 5 weeks when she has to give them away. I will be taking two and I have some other people lined up to take them. I hope this is old enough and won't cause them any detriment.

Her dad really is an A**hole, he wont even let her give them to a shelter becuase he says it's a waste of peoples money caring for them, but if it comes to it ill tell him I have homes for them all and bring them to the shelter myself.

She's also agreed to have her cat spayed as soon as she can and Ill keep chasing her until she does. I was quite annoyed she let this happen in the first place, especially since she knows how her dad is.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

5 weeks is a little young but once they are lapping on their own they should be ok, it would be ideal if you could get an extra week or two with their mum. Where does your friend live, why I am asking is would she be willing to let someone have her cat with the kittens for a few weeks to give the kittens a better chance of survial and have the cat neutered at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Thats a good idea, I hadn't thought of that, Ill ask her, I'd be willing to take them for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

if you need a hand let me know.....I have a room that any cat with kittens that comes into our house goes into....I'm in Dublin not sure if that helps or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭karlin

If they are just 5 weeks they are much better in pairs (kittens are better -- and easier! -- in pairs anyway.

One thing you can do as well is if possible give them time with other friendly adult cats. I sometimes foster and rehome kittens and always give them plenty of time with my two toms (neutered of course!) who LOVE kittens. This helps teach kittens proper behaviour as well as adults keep their playing in line and teach them to be polite. It is also better for these kittens alternatively to go to a home with a resident older cat (though it often takes a little while for the resident to decide a kitten is welcome... this is totally normal). Note these are ideals however and cannot always be met!

It would be a lot better for the kittens to get even a further week still with the mum; six weeks makes a big difference over 5, and 7 over 6. At five weeks they will barely be on solid foods.

Advertisement