Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive BIG probelm

Options
  • 02-03-2006 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I got a HD at christmas and twop weeks ago i dropped it. Brought it into the computer store there on Tuesday and they said its f*cked, the usb connection from the hard drive to the computer (on the hard drive) has come loose, and a replacement part is needed. Its a UsB A connection and looks like this:

4_port_usb_switch_blue.jpg

Well justt one of them.

I need one of these (dunno where to get one) and then i need someone that has some experience in electronics to solder it back onto the hard drive. GDI. Can anyone help us out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭david powell

Where are you based??

Has the PCB that holds the connector broken? or just the connector broken away from the PCB??

I may have some of the type A USB connectors around, but they are "through hole", can you take a pic of the damage??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You'll be lucky if the hard disk isn't broken too after a fall. Take the disk out of the enclosure and check it in a computer to see if it's OK. If it's no longer working then there's not really much point in going to the trouble of fixing the USB connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It'd probably be easier to take the drive out, and if it is working, just to buy a new enclosure.

John

Advertisement