Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trading in the US

Options
  • 02-03-2006 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi ya'all!

I just moved from Sweden to Ennis, Co. Clare. I have started an account at firstrade.com and now I need to fund it. I have a bankaccount at Bank of Ireland but I'm not very pleased because of the many and high fees. What bank would you recommend for easy and cheap transfers to a broker in the US?

Can you also suggest good information sources for technical analysis on american stocks? stockcharts.com is good but not very good. It is a jungel of information but still I'm having trouble finding a stock with high volume and an obvious clear postive/negative trend.

Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I find AIB quite good for transfers.
    they only charge about e25 odd for a US transfer.
    You can only use banks as CU's use a broker to transfer funds and most US trading accounts don't allow that.

for info --yahoo is good for basic info.
    MSN money is good for tech charts which can be changed easily.

your best bet is to track numerous stocks before taking the plunge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Thimmy

That's not very cheap. Let's say I transfer €500/month. That would be 5% lost on my investment just for transfering the money to the broker. So I guess I'm gonna have to save up to about €3000 before it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

Great link daveirl, i think i'll soon be starting an account there. Are there any legalities I should know about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

Just reading over the Internaxx site. e28 seems alot to pay per trade. What do they mean by "Additional Call Center charge per trade" does this have to be paid for every trade aswell? That would make it 48 per trade, which is pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

Thimmy wrote:
    I have started an account at firstrade.com and now I need to fund it. I have a bankaccount at Bank of Ireland but I'm not very pleased because of the many and high fees. What bank would you recommend for easy and cheap transfers to a broker in the US?

i have used AIB to transfer finds over to the US and they gave me the option of a 20 Euro transfer or a 30 Euro one - the 30 Euro one being a faster transfer. took the 20 Euro option and it took no more than 4 business days to arrive.
    Thimmy wrote:
    Can you also suggest good information sources for technical analysis on american stocks? stockcharts.com is good but not very good. It is a jungel of information but still I'm having trouble finding a stock with high volume and an obvious clear postive/negative trend.

MarketWatch and MSN Money are my two favourite, but other ones to look at are Yahoo! Finance, CNN Money, among many others.

If you are new to investing, Investopedia.com is a great site to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mackattack

I use lowtrades and etrade for US markets Lowtrades is great for OTCBB small cap and sub's. Etrade for Nas. I used BOI to transfer money as it was the best and cheapest option available at the time 3 years ago.

Advertisement