Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any cinema(or whatever) with anime seasons?

Options
  • 02-03-2006 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking back to last November when the IFI cancelled their showing of 'Howl's Moving Castle' for some Spanish POS movie:mad: and was just wondering have they - or anyone else in Ireland - ever actually had a season of anime movies on?

I mean, surely there's enough of us at this stage for them to have one screen devoted to anime for two weeks/a month - hell, even just a weekend?
    I mean - I always loved 'Spirited Away', but when I saw it on the big screen(with subtitles) in the IFI I was completely blown away!

Anyone here ever contact the IFI and demand to know what it would take for them to have an anime season? Would anyone here even think it worthwhile trying - or is it a case of 'I'd be glad if they did do an anime showing - but I wouldn't be bothered going!'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

AFAIK Howls was pulled from General Release.

You tend to get anime shown in theatres only during film festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

i dont know if this applies, but if u have a sky box, and can get channel 193 (rapture tv i think) that has been showing some anime series on it. hope that helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

@vex: Yeah - Rapture shows two anime series - 'Full Metal Alchemist' and 'Wolf's Rain' I think once a week each.

@sharingan: Howl's pulled from general release? That would explain the suddeness of it, though I thought it was on elsewhere and that the IFI doesn't need a general release to show a movie. Any reason why it was pulled? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Well it was on in the IFI when it came out (last summer?). My local cinema had it on its future releases section for a while before it disappeared.

I imagine it was a decision taken by the distributer. It did seem to coincide with the scoring of the dub for it (up until that point it was going to be released subtitled).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Howls came out a little later than expected.

UGC/Cineworld showed the dub while the Screen showed the sub.

The IFI did have an anime season many, many years ago that I remember. But they just showed all of the original Manga Video releases from the mid-90s.

So there was Akira, Roujin Z and stuff like Golgo 13. Any I went to played to full houses so I'm not sure why they never did it again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement