Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion will ship March 20th

Options
  • 02-03-2006 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭

Bethesda Softworks and 2K Games Announce
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion to Ship March 20

Quintessential RPG for the Next Generation Coming to Xbox 360 and PC

Rockville, MD - March 2, 2006 - Bethesda Softworks® and 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that the highly-anticipated role-playing game, The Elder Scrolls® IV: Oblivion™ has gone to gold master and will be available in stores in North America and Europe during the week of March 20. Oblivion will be available for Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC in both regular and collector's editions.

"Our most ambitious project ever is finally done," said Todd Howard, executive producer of Oblivion. "We're excited to get the game into everyone's hands and let them experience it for themselves. We hope they enjoy it. I think it's our best game yet."

Oblivion is an epic, open-ended single-player RPG for the next generation providing gamers with one of the most life-like gaming experiences to date. The powerful combination of unprecedented graphics and freeform gameplay allows gamers to unravel the main quest or explore the vast world at their own pace. Oblivion is the fourth chapter in the award-winning Elder Scrolls series that includes Morrowind® (2002 RPG of the year - Computer Gaming World), Daggerfall™ (1996 RPG of the year -- PC Gamer), and Arena (1994 RPG of the year - Computer Player).

http://www.elderscrolls.com/news/press_030206.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Damn!

That's right in the middle of exam season.

I'm ruined!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

oh this is brillant news :D
    anyone going to get the speacil edition version? its on play for about 50eur

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

About time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Yay! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

please somebody buy me an xbox 360!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭garrethg

Qualified w00t.

TES modders may want to re-cork the champagne. The construction set isn't on the DVD but available as a download, there are also issues, or at least giant question marks, over what functionality may be available in the cs (http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=249910).

Hopefully the modability of this game isn't nerfed; any Morrowind fan knows what a huge factor mods play in the long-term value of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

heres the question, to 360 it or pc it...hmmmm

any views?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

until the 360 gets a mouse and Keyboard i'm not going near any FPS's :D

madrab wrote:
    heres the question, to 360 it or pc it...hmmmm

any views?
    It really comes down to money. The PC version has all the advantages: fan created mods, construction set, the mouse/keyboard is a superior interface for this style of RPG, faster load times and it's patchable for an improved performance/feature set down the line. However this game is single greatest hardware hog yet released and that means only high spec - and equivalently high priced - PCs need apply. The Xbox on the other hand is considerably cheaper and the game is guaranteed to run out of the box at high quality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

PC wins far out...simply because of the mods...oh, and i also dont have a 360 :rolleyes: . it is gonna kill my 9800pro though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

\o/

That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

Kiith wrote:
    PC wins far out...simply because of the mods...oh, and i also dont have a 360 :rolleyes: . it is gonna kill my 9800pro though :(
    Kill it?? Itll rip its balls off with its bare hands and perform some sort of paganistic ritual smeared in its blood. I have an X800pro and even im bricking it at the prospect of running this thing :eek:

:v:

Kill it?? Itll rip its balls off with its bare hands and perform some sort of paganistic ritual smeared in its blood. I have an X800pro and even im bricking it at the prospect of running this thing :eek:
    :D

Apparently Oblivion was developed on 9800pro systems, which makes me wonder how they got to the point where even (according to some previews) an x1900xt stutters occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

This isn't meant to be a troll, I swear, but can someone explain to me how this is anything other than a reskinned Morrowind?

What factors apart from the stunning graphics have been added to improve on its predecessor?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

How is a reskinned morrowind a bad thing, I am in no way admitting this is a reskinned morrowind but answer me that one? Morrowind was good, i liked it, if all they did was change the story, make a few control changes and bling up the graphics well then i'm happy

This isn't meant to be a troll, I swear, but can someone explain to me how this is anything other than a reskinned Morrowind?
    It's not reskinned Morrowind; it's reskinned Gothic ;)

What you're asking is "does Oblivion bring anything new to the table"? The major changes are Havok physics, voice acting throughout, an improved combat engine and realistic NPC scheduling. For all that the core game play is still be the same, just as the core gameplay for every RTS, FPS or racing game is fundamentally the same. Oblivion is a genre game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, I for one am pleased. Not too long to wait now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I never got into Morrowind, bought it and had really good impressions of it but never liked spending the amount of time sitting at a desk that it required and never got far. So the simple fact that its on 360 is good enough reason for me to get this one :)

To be honest I don't know that much about the improvement in features, but isn't it meant to have some really revolutionary AI? In that all characters are fully active and realistic, going about their daily business and talking to eachother and reacting to eachother, instead of just reacting to you. Or something like that. I'd imagine that'd go along way to making it more immersive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

To be honest I don't know that much about the improvement in features, but isn't it meant to have some really revolutionary AI? In that all characters are fully active and realistic, going about their daily business and talking to eachother and reacting to eachother, instead of just reacting to you. Or something like that. I'd imagine that'd go along way to making it more immersive.

Thats not revolutionary. Gothic 2 did it years ago, and its clear Oblivion took more than a passing glance at Gothic 2 when it came to game design. Which isnt bad, because Gothic 2 was quality.

• Advertisement

Steviec wrote:
    In that all characters are fully active and realistic, going about their daily business and talking to eachother and reacting to eachother, instead of just reacting to you. I'd imagine that'd go along way to making it more immersive.
    Nail -> head. RPG fun factor is 80% immersion. Although it’s not revolutionary, that’s the developer’s marking bull****. Hell, in many ways there are C64 games which achieved what TES 4’s RAI does: Knight Orc springs to mind as does Valhalla.
    Sand wrote:
    Thats not revolutionary. Gothic 2 did it years ago, and its clear Oblivion took more than a passing glance at Gothic 2 when it came to game design. Which isnt bad, because Gothic 2 was quality.
    Gothic 1 did it five years ago, Gothic 2 merely added a few extra animations. Gothic 1 was an incredibly ground breaking and intelligently programmed game, everything from the AI to the graphics programming was years ahead of it's time - everything except the control interface. It easily breezes into the top five most overlooked and underrated PC games of all time and owns TES on every level except sheer scope. Gothic 1 achieved graphical effects that Oblivion has failed to do - and one 10th the system spec.

Oblivion will be a great game, but Gothic 3 will be genuinely revolutionary with a fraction of the fanfare. Better environments, better storytelling, better graphics and all not crippled by console memory limitations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

garrethg wrote:
    Nail -> head. RPG fun factor is 80% immersion. Although it’s not revolutionary, that’s the developer’s marking bull****. Hell, in many ways there are C64 games which achieved what TES 4’s RAI does: Knight Orc springs to mind as does Valhalla.

Haha Valhalla. 'Thor throws food at Loki'

Those were the days, fantastic character interaction there! I loved that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Should I even bother to order with my X800XL 256mb card, or would I be wasting my time? As an illustration, COD2 plays very well at medium settings on my machine, as did HL2 and Doom3, but I just couldn't get FEAR to play at an acceptable level....

Oblivion looks great... :(

whats the rest of the specs?

from the elder scrolls website->
    Recommended:

* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    * 1 GB System RAM
    * ATI X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

i plan on playing this on a a64 3400+ 1gig and a 6800gt
    ive heard that it has actually been brought down abit and some extra graphics features will be locked away (undoubtly to b opened up again with a mod 5 seconds after release)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I have a A64 3000+ and 1 Gig enhanced latency ram...but it is the X800XL 256mb that scares me...still have no clue why FEAR proved unplayable on my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

FEAR wasn't well optimised (IMHO). It had some nice effects but they did not justify the horsepower it consumed. Besides your vid-card remember some games are also more CPU reliant than others, going back to FEAR as an example it had a lot of CPU dependant freatures (Physics etc.). Don't use it as your most reliable benchmark. You just have to look at the performance differences vs. visual quality between Doom3 and HL2 to see how much well optimised code can make a difference.That said I think Oblivion will be a system killer, large open spaces with the type of FX (even without complex shadows etc.) being show will put a strain on any system. Still it leaves room for improvement as your budget allows.

well thats strange as i know people who played FEAR perfectly on 9800's nevermind a X800XL...
    still there is no real way to be sure that oblivion will actually run well on what they say are the required specs, can only wait and find out. if all else fails u will be seeing my pc copy on the for sale section as i go out to get the 360 version

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    well thats strange as i know people who played FEAR perfectly on 9800's nevermind a X800XL...
    FEAR ran perfectly for me on a 9600XT, looking forward to oblivion but my 9600XT is somewhat wetting itself at the prospect, I wonder how low the graphics go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Pugsley wrote:
    FEAR ran perfectly for me on a 9600XT, looking forward to oblivion but my 9600XT is somewhat wetting itself at the prospect, I wonder how low the graphics go :)

Be subjective....ran perfectly = what level of performance? At what resolution? With which FX? Saying something ran perfectly on X hardware is pointless when you don't say at what level.
    I dont remember the individuals but Texture quality was 2nd highest, and the rest about 2/3 maxed, 1/3 medium. REs 1280x1024 with softshadows off.... The same machine hist 5100+ on 3dMark 2005 and flies on maxed out Quake4.
    But alas, ****s it's mighty self on 3dMark 2006....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Did people really have so much trouble getting FEAR to work on their systems?, I've an AMD 3700+, a X800GTO and 2gb of RAM and my machine didn't so much as flinch playing it on top settings...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement