Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion will ship March 20th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Elessar wrote:
    Considering we wont see it until next Friday, which are the "usual" retailers who start to sell it early? Even online companies, dont play.com/cdwow usually post out earlier than most?
    cdwow:( a waste of a company
    useless
    avoid at all cost

i really hope Oblivion is class
    iv been waiting for this game for ages
    man i cant wait
    id say its going to be very addictive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

This game looks amazing :D Did y'all see the preview clip, graphix omg :D

Praetorian wrote:
    This game looks amazing :D Did y'all see the preview clip, graphix omg :D
    i saw the previews but ill judge once im playing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Just bought it on CDwow today and I seriously can't wait. I loved Morrowind and the TES Contruction Set (That will be included in Oblivion) but how can Oblivion fit on one disc?

I have currently a 3400 AMD processor, 1G of system ram and x700 Ati graphics card and F.E.A.R works without a hitch with a few things turned down. Half-Life 2 and Counter Strike Source work fantastically so I don't think I will have much problems with Oblivion. I also have a leaving cert coming up so I will have to balance it between Ragarok online and Oblivion. I'm screwed...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Some people on the official forum have been suggesting this site to get a good idea of how your system will run Oblivion (Oblivion is under T btw ;)):

System Requirements Lab

But all it does is test your PC specs against the minimum and recommended requirements, it doesn't stress test your machine as if you were running Oblivion like I was somehow hoping it would! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

cdwow arnt the best with delievery times...
    and it says required HDD space is 4.6gigs, a dvd can hold 4.7 and even more when its compressed so yeah 1 disc.
    ive preorded from play but might cancel and pay the extra to have it on friday

I've only ordered from CDwow once and it was ok. I got the game (Age Of Empires 3) cheap and it arrived on time. I can't honestly complain...

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    ive preorded from play but might cancel and pay the extra to have it on friday
    i preordered mine from gamestop
    i usually wouldnt waste my money at money hungry company but i want it first thing on friday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Some people on the official forum have been suggesting this site to get a good idea of how your system will run Oblivion (Oblivion is under T btw ;)):

System Requirements Lab

But all it does is test your PC specs against the minimum and recommended requirements, it doesn't stress test your machine as if you were running Oblivion like I was somehow hoping it would! :rolleyes:

Yeah i would have liked a detailed analysis too but i'll settle for all the passes i got on the recommended settings.

The real test will be the engine. I personally loved the HL2 engine and its source counterparts. I didnt really like the FEAR or doom3 engine.

A preferable engine would allow my pc to run this view in oblivion at a nice resolution, full AA and shaders.
    But thats a dream im currently having problems making a reality. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭garrethg

steviec wrote:
    Haha Valhalla. 'Thor throws food at Loki'
    Those were the days, fantastic character interaction there! I loved that game.
    ;) I have being DOS boxing/moslowing the **** out my PC to run the SSI Gold Box games. I still can't get the damn things to run satisfactorily. Those were the days…
    _CreeD_ wrote:
    Be subjective....ran perfectly = what level of performance? At what resolution? With which FX? Saying something ran perfectly on X hardware is pointless when you don't say at what level.
    Fair point, but it's safe to say that x1900 gen cards laugh in the face of F.E.A.R. Review benchmarking is dubious at best. As Web Development wags say: "looks best on my system, on my browser, on my resolution."

A preferable engine would allow my pc to run this view in oblivion at a nice resolution, full AA and shaders.
    But thats a dream im currently having problems making a reality. :confused:

:eek: I missed that screenshot, wow. Everyday I change my mind about the XBox/PC decision, when I see shots like that I wanna go for the XBox. It's going to look nothing like that on my PC, if I get it for the PC it'll always be in the back of my mind that I could be playing a game that looks like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

:eek: I missed that screenshot, wow. Everyday I change my mind about the XBox/PC decision, when I see shots like that I wanna go for the XBox. It's going to look nothing like that on my PC, if I get it for the PC it'll always be in the back of my mind that I could be playing a game that looks like that!

Yeah, despite not having broadband, I'm picking up a 360 in the next week or two (I'm all childish and excited). Got GRAW for the Xbox and it's terrible! And I get all drooly over the 360 version.
    So screw it I'm getting one.
    I hate playing FPS's on consoles. And I know the Xbox GRAW is an fps, but I thought it was the same as the 360 version, ie. third person etc,...how wrong I was.

On topic, I'll still be getting Oblivion for the PC. But unfortunately, the dilemma is getting a 360, or a second graphics card. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

System Requirements Lab

yay i passed on the recommended settings

ah well looks like my 360 is going to go another few months without being played :(

Yeah but imagine the jumpyness during loading like the previous games. Even with my two gigs of ram and a 256mb X800 i forsee this happening. I have san andreas turned up full and every time im in a forest area my framerate drops to the floor.

Its quite annoying while trying to play online. I hope to god this wont happen in oblivion when i am trying to kill stuff in an area with lots of trees.

In the countdown video with the two bull things (one week left i think), they are fighting in a field of barley, the barley (weed or whatever it is) sways from side to side in the wind. This combined with the trees, water, shaded light and whatever else is in the draw distance, is going to hurt either way you look at it.

I knew i shouldn't have cheaped out in the graphics card department.
    Gawd dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Any ideas on how a geforce fx5200 would handle this game? I know it meets minimum but only just I reckon.

It has 128mb of ram on board so that will probably limit the available textures and I'm guessing it will have trouble with the trees, draw distance and such, I guess it's 800x600 for me with most settings on low. Damn I need an xbox360.

But my cpu and ram meet the recommended requirements, but this game looks gpu-heavy rather than cpu heavy.

fobster wrote:
    Any ideas on how a geforce fx5200 would handle this game? I know it meets minimum but only just I reckon.

Here is the recommended and minimum requirements (just scroll down a bit):

http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/oblivion_faq.htm

Your card is not even listed on the required graphics card section so I would recommend you buy a better one. Komplett sell the x700 ATI very cheap and it is a fantastic card. It is pretty much the same as the x800 but not like the x800xt. It works like a charm.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=308791

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

So Glad wrote:
    Here is the recommended and minimum requirements (just scroll down a bit):

http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/oblivion_faq.htm

Your card is not even listed on the required graphics card section so I would recommend you buy a better one. Komplett sell the x700 ATI very cheap and it is a fantastic card. It is pretty much the same as the x800 but not like the x800xt. It works like a charm.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=308791

I know for a fact that card won't work on my mobo, agp cards only I'm afraid. Thanks any way.

And if I do get a new graphics card, that means a new power supply too I reckon as mine's a 250watt.

fobster wrote:
    I know for a fact that card won't work on my mobo, agp cards only I'm afraid. Thanks any way.

And if I do get a new graphics card, that means a new power supply too I reckon as mine's a 250watt.

Ok, AGP then: :D

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=311605

I'm not sure if that particular card would need a better power source or not but power sources are cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Hey my Geforce 6600 is listed... i wonder will i be able to play.. probably not as im still running an Athlon 2100+ i do have 1gb of ram at least.. still....

Hey im still playing Morrowind.. only recently got the Gold edition with bloodmoon and tribunal so i uninstalled the old game.. reinstalled new Gold version and started playing again from scratch.. on bloodmoon now.. im a werewolf trying to kill the skaal in the cave.. i think being a werewolf is cool BUT he is a crap killer!! So hard to even kill one skaal let alone multiple!!

• Advertisement

Yeah I've been wanting to play Morrowind again for ages but one of the discs are scratched. :( And it's the second time I bought it. Sill Oblivion will be in my hands soon...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

so who is gonna 360 it & who is gonna pc it?

can you use a mouse & keyboard on the 360 version

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

PC for me.. hate consoles... Got a PS2 once and was bored very soon.. I cant play FPS on consoles.. i love the control on a mouse and keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Are there any reviews around yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

PC gamer gave is 92%
    dont no any online ones yet probably tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

From the Official Xbox Magazine though (=Propaganda mag extreme). I hate to put blind faith in a game but I'm guessing it'll still turn out to be the right score :).

I started up Morrowind again myself yesterday, couldn't wait. Of all the games I've truly enjoyed over the years I think this is the only one that hasn't dimmed with age. Sure the graphics could be better but the gameplay, the soundtrack....perfect....(Well more of the soundtrack would have been nice).

_CreeD_ wrote:
    the soundtrack....perfect....(Well more of the soundtrack would have been nice).

Jeremy Soule, I love his stuff too, so glad he's doing the music for Oblivion.

It's 360 for me. The fact I haven't got one yet isn't a factor. Mother's Day is coming up soon, I'm sure she'd love one... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

PC for me dont like using control pads for RPG's

• Advertisement

PC for me. Going to wait until the 360 has been fully hacked with modchips and HD's and the like to buy it. Doubtfull about the new HD's though, they look like weird laptop style thingys and would be hard to replicate.

[OFFTOPIC]
    BTW the 360's DVD firmware has been hacked to enable copies.
    Nice news for the hardcore xbox enthusiasts out there.
    (www.xboxscene.com)
    [/OFFTOPIC]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement