Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Current Ford Focus worse than the old model?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I just wouldn't see a 1.6 in the same eyes as yourself obviously.. small bit of power I would say is a bit further up the scale.

If you think the Focus is as good as the Golf in terms of residuals that's your own opinion, I have the paperwork from a trade in a few years ago to suggest different !

The Focus is the market leader, great news but you have to factor the cost into that statistic. You can't just claim something is better because it sells more than something else.

Like I said, I'm sure McDonalds sold more meals than Wongs chinese restaurants this weekend but I know which one I'd rather.

The Focus is a good car, maybe even a great car for what it's supposed to do but it's the raving you do about Ford in general that is what I find a bit strange.. ? The Focus for example, it's a car that costs €19,000 - how in the name of jaysus can you have such passion for a car which costs 19k new???

I'm just curious more than anything :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's different strokes for different folks really. I'm a Ford devotee. Brought up quite near Dagenham, and my Dad worked there for years. It's in the blood.

Power is relative. You are into big bhp stuff and that's fine. Other people need ordinary affordable transport. A 1.6 petrol, whilst no road rocket by any means, may be enough to satisfy them. A compromise machine.

Residual values are relative too. Golf's are a couple of grand more expensive than the equivalent Focus (mentioned on here earlier), and therefore you'd expect corrspondingly higher residual values. The ST is expected to depreciate slower than the GTI over 3 years (in the UK) btw.

Market leader yes, but the best car is a matter of opinion granted. I've yet to read 1 road test that rated an Astra, Golf, or anything else come to that higher than the Focus however.

The thing is you drive your Golf, and are obviously well pleased with it. Good luck to you.

I have owned a total of 7 new Focus (2 x 3 door, 2 x 5 door, 1 estate, and 2 x C-Max) since 1999, and I reckon they are excellent all round cars.

Nobody is going to accept that their pride and joy is inferior are they?

p.s. I hate McDonalds :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Nobody is going to accept that their pride and joy is inferior are they?

Probably not but I have owned a Focus and I've certainly owned better cars. Same way that the new GTI is a far superior car to the last which I also owned and am perfectly able to admit in hindsight it wasn't that good a car.

I think being able to realise that your car might be nice but it is nothing compared to a lot of what is out there is important too. When I see a Carerra in traffic I think "wow fantastic car" not "well my Golf is a popular car so I'm happy"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

yop wrote:
    The 1.4 should never be purchased in my opinion, it is pure dead for the size of the car that it pushes.
    I have not yet driven the new 1.6 but have been driven in it & I know it is hard to tell but personally It seemed quicker

Wife has the 1.4. Very little poke for a boy racer, but she loves it, and its solid as a rock after 3 years. I think it had a problem with the engine coil once, which was a common enough issue on some of them ,and that was it..
    allthough id advise her to go for 1.6 next time as well i wouldnt write it off as a none purchase, youll find it holds its value quiet well due to insurance level..

Advertisement