Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mambo Question

Options
  • 02-03-2006 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Wondering if I can pick some big boards.ie users brains again , still trying to complete a personal site for myself but someone mentioned a CMS system called Mambo makes updating text easier and means I can log in on the website and update the text within the browser saving time and hassle with Dreamweaver.

If anyone is knows about Mambo can they tell me if it is possible to use an existing designed dreamweaver template of mine and convert the text area so that Mambo can allow me to update them online. Is there a book or tutorial I can buy etc

Is this possible or do I have to scrap my design and use some default template from Mambo.

Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

philtaylor wrote:
    Wondering if I can pick some big boards.ie users brains again , still trying to complete a personal site for myself but someone mentioned a CMS system called Mambo makes updating text easier and means I can log in on the website and update the text within the browser saving time and hassle with Dreamweaver.

If anyone is knows about Mambo can they tell me if it is possible to use an existing designed dreamweaver template of mine and convert the text area so that Mambo can allow me to update them online. Is there a book or tutorial I can buy etc

Is this possible or do I have to scrap my design and use some default template from Mambo.

Thanks again

yes you can use your existing page and convert to mambo template (very easy actually ... hmm well depending on the page of course)
    there are loads of sites that will show you how to do it... lost of tutorial sites out there too... dont know any off hand but do a search.

some useful sites
    joomla.org
    mambers.com
    etc etc

If you have any specific questions post them up here as i do alot of mambo work.
    Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

Yes, it is very possible and surprisingly easy once you get the hang of the template engine. http://forum.mamboserver.com/ is a great resource and there are some great advice there.

Mambo is extremely powerful as a CMS.
    ConsultClifford mentioned some other great resources.

By the way, the site in my sig runs Mambo. :) /end plug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

Thanks for the replies , Mambo looks good so i'll start learning the basics first , does it take long to master , by the way cianuro that red fly site look really great , definitely surprised that it runs on mambo as I was under the impression that a mambo site design would be bland etc . Must set about learning now so I can get a nice site design ready.

Thank you.
    They actually have it featured in their gallery (Linked from the home page).
    If you need any help, just shoot me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Download and install joomla instead. The majority of Mambo core developers left mambo and started joomla instead because of a dispute. It is more secure (more regular updates) than mambo.

• Advertisement

axer wrote:
    Download and install joomla instead. The majority of Mambo core developers left mambo and started joomla instead because of a dispute. It is more secure (more regular updates) than mambo.

More updates does not mean it's more secure. In fact, I think it's quite the oposite. Because of the dispute, Joomla developers seem to be rushing things and it's causing all sorts of problems and there are numerous security problems with it right now. Just browse packetstormsecurity and check.

Mambo has not had any feature additions or core development work in over a year. 2005 was fixing security holes and bugs. Right now, it's rock solid.

The Mare.D worm scare seems to be just that. A scare. There has been no proof of concept released as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

cianuro wrote:
    More updates does not mean it's more secure. In fact, I think it's quite the oposite. Because of the dispute, Joomla developers seem to be rushing things and it's causing all sorts of problems and there are numerous security problems with it right now. Just browse packetstormsecurity and check.
    A browse of packetstormsecurity showed up a number of security issues with the current version of Mambo 4.5.3h while showed up none for the current version of Joomla 1.0.8.
    cianuro wrote:
    Mambo has not had any feature additions or core development work in over a year. 2005 was fixing security holes and bugs. Right now, it's rock solid.
    Firstly, to call it rock solid as seen above is wrong. Secondly there are very few (if any) web applications out there that are rock solid. I think 2005 for the Mambo team since the split was more getting to know the code and replacing the majority of Core Development team (and other teams) who left for Joomla. Mambo has released versions 4.5.3 and 4.5.3h since the joomla split (which still contain known security holes). Alot of the 4.5.3 work had been done by the Core Developers who left mambo. Since the Joomla split, the joomla team have had 9 releases.
    cianuro wrote:
    The Mare.D worm scare seems to be just that. A scare. There has been no proof of concept released as of yet.
    True.

OP: For more information about the differences between Mambo & Joomla see here.

Advertisement