Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Over ISDN ?

• 02-03-2006 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭

My exchange - Castlefinn, Co. Donegal - has just been enabled. I want to dump my current crap service from IrishBroadband and go ADSL over my telephone line.
    1. I currently have ISDN - is it still necessary to get this downgraded first?
    2. Assuming this downgrade is necessary, should I get this done first or can I depend on my selected provider to do this? (I haven't made up my mind yet which provider to go with but it will probably be BT)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

DonegalMan wrote:
    My exchange - Castlefinn, Co. Donegal - has just been enabled. I want to dump my current crap service from IrishBroadband and go ADSL over my telephone line.
    2. Assuming this downgrade is necessary, should I get this done first or can I depend on my selected provider to do this? (I haven't made up my mind yet which provider to go with but it will probably be BT)

Eircom does not support DSL over ISDN, so yes, you will have to "downgrade" the ISDN to PSTN before you get DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭HSo

Yep, the ISDN has to go before the BB can be installed, that's what happened with me. I'm with Eircom and they did all the necessary it took a couple of hours with the tech first some messing about at the exchange and then at the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Thanks, guys, Ithought that was probably the case.

Another question.

I'm thinking seriously of switching to BT as their combined Broadband and Line Rental package looks very sweet.

At the moment I use Vartec for all my long distance calls - with a daughter in Australia, it works out far cheaper than BT talk or Eircom Anytime.

If I switch to BT, can I still use Vartec?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its €25 for the downgrade , that covers the tech visit to swap out isdn at both ends and put you on POTS. The tech then organises an instant line check.

were you downgraded and failed after the downgrade you will be given the option of reinstalling ISDN at that point (seeing as you cannot get ADSL)

all included in the €25

you may still use Vartec , yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

In other countries you can have an ISDN channel as always on "slow" BB if you can't get or don't want full speed, and indeed have higher speed broadband ON an ISDN line at a further distance. Another example of Ireland *LESS* advanced than our hype. Indeed in other countries you can have the virtually unused ISDN signalling channel work as an always connected 9,600 X.25 connection. Not here, though about 6 years ago Eircom did do trials.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

What advantages would ADSL over ISDN give?.....extra distance perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

DonegalMan wrote:

At the moment I use Vartec for all my long distance calls - with a daughter in Australia, it works out far cheaper than BT talk or Eircom Anytime.

If I switch to BT, can I still use Vartec?

Hi D'man, THIS was posted on the Bargain alert forum a while back. Just thought you might find it useful when you get BB up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

DonegalMan wrote:
    tbh id downgrade first just cancel your isdn line yourself, you can go to an Service provider and get it converted, this is a long drawnout process, and the service providor i work for ****s it up all the time, so i doubt yours will go well. better off DingIY little more work to do, but it gets done....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sponge Bob wrote:
    were you downgraded and failed after the downgrade you will be given the option of reinstalling ISDN at that point (seeing as you cannot get ADSL)

all included in the €25

Ah, that's welcome news, but it seems that Sales/BB Sales don't know about that!! They tell you that there's no guarantee it'll be suitable, and you'll have to wait for an ISDN upgrade order to go through as normal, at your cost. I've just rang again to see, and it's the same story I got just now!

It makes sense, so hopefully it's true!

.cg

Advertisement