Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock Results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Well eh they have a similar thing in UCC. You do courses like archaeology , computers etc. You must do an entrance exam before you are allowed in.I t could be the same thing or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Nah, I'm not in CTYI, its sounds like fun but I'd fail the Maths thing quicker than you could say "CTYI". Apparently the Maths is tricky.
    My friend is goijng there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

You can get in on the verbal section alone, actually, it just means you're restricted to some of the courses. They've got like, humanities courses (say, Japanese Language and Culture) and sciences courses (Theoretical physics), so if you get in on verbal only you can only do humanities courses, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Sometimes they overlook your SAT results for courses and once you're in ,you're in, I've known Science people to do Humanities courses and vice versa.

That was funny last year how the JC Board meet was so very quickly dominated by CTYIzens :)

• Advertisement

According to my DATS I've very good verbal ability...he, I got like in the 99 percentile of people in the spelling thing...Career guidance teacher thought I was great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

According to my DATS I've very good verbal ability...he, I got like in the 99 percentile of people in the spelling thing...Career guidance teacher thought I was great!!

What are the DATS?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Exactly. A doss day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chief executive

isa got...

6 A'S --- science, cspe, history, music, french, religion

3 B's --- maths, irish, geoggers(aaaaaah 84%)

uno C --- english

vair happppeee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

F*cking hell, how did you people get such good results?

I did mine last year and nearly everyone failed or almost failed. The actual results were totally different though, nearly everyone got all honours.

Anyone who's not insanely smart, and failed a few subjects, don't worry about it at all... It's a bad reflection of your LC grades, nearly everyone does much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just realised that this is the JC forum :o Well point still remains, I failed most of my subjects for the JC mocks too, and did alright in the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

CSPE - 90%
    Science - 38% - Higher
    History - 66% - Higher
    French - 48% - Higher
    Irish - 35% - Was doing Higher but have emigrated to Pass
    Maths - 85% - Ordinary
    English - 58% - Higher
    Business - 65% - Higher
    Woodwork - 60% - Higher

According to English teacher it's hard to get B in English. And impossible to get an A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

All higher level

Irish B Official
    English A Official
    Maths A Teacher-made
    French B Official
    History A Teacher-made
    Geography B Official
    Technical Drawing A Teacher-made
    Business B Official
    CSPE B(Oh noes!) Official
    Science(new course but without Part A and B- jsut written exam) B Teacher-made

All exams were teacher-corrected except for CSPE.

Hopefully get 6As, 4Bs in JC, to get the same as my brother, though I had a few grades close to Cs in the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BMH wrote:
    Geography B Official
    There are no official mocks, merely ones produced by book companies.

Victor wrote:
    There are no official mocks, merely ones produced by book companies.
    Oh?

I remember hearing that before but I had always thought that the Department of Education made them. Well, at least they retain the exam stucture and general mark allotment, as opposed to some of my teachers that left out chunks of the course that hadn't been covered yet.

No, its companies that model them on what the other exams are. The new Science ones are modelled from the department sapmle and the textbook questions, and tehy are unbelievably hard. I hope the real thing is a hell of a lot easier...

No, its companies that model them on what the other exams are. The new Science ones are modelled from the department sapmle and the textbook questions, and tehy are unbelievably hard. I hope the real thing is a hell of a lot easier...
    Meh, there's a free 35% to fall back on. They'll apparently be marked easier as we're the first year to get it.

Although, if they check my lab book I'm screwed. I wasn't told it had any use till third year, and by them half the pages were missing and ink was all over it. I'd say I have about 10/30 experiments done up and none are dated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭disney

our teac says that there is no gaurentee dat our papers wil b marked easy (cos its expected) and also we already "have" the 35%, seriousy hu in hell will get the full 35%??? Science is too hard its jus not fair!!!!:confused:

our teach says that there is no gaurentee dat our papers wil b marked easy (cos its expected) and also we already "have" the 35%, seriousy hu in hell will get the full 35%??? Science is too hard its jus not fair!!!!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

I love Science!!! Did you see the thing in the Irish Independent? It gave a guide as to how the science paper is marked. And the 35% isn't that hard to get, you just have to make sure you have all the experiments filled in, and the journal done. Diagrams are good- you get loads of marks for them. Erm.... Make sure you know the definitions (those boxes marked in the books) because people did really badly in them when they were testing the paper, so they'll be asking loads. They're worth 6 marks each, too, so they're an easy way to pick up marks. Study the experiments, and make sure to read what you're writing- you could leave out something important (like saying 'put the irregular shaped object in an overflow can and use a graduated cylinder to measure what comes out'. What's wrong? You've forgotten to mention the water.) If you've got a diagram, the examiner will be able to see what you mean and will give you the marks.

Sorry, that's really long. Hope it helps anyway.

I may as well give my results-

English- B
    Irish- B
    Maths- C
    History- A
    Geography- B
    French- B
    Science- A
    CSPE- B
    RE- A
    Music- B (really pissed off with that...)
    Art- B

I know my art has gone up, hopefully everything else will too!! (^^,)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 latenighttalk

Geography(H) - B
    C.S.P.E - B
    Maths(O) - C
    Science - C
    English - C
    French - D
    History - E

Twinklestar 15, u well n the hed??? U love science? I hate science!!! Its def the worst subject soo hard. Jus scraped the B in the mock, nd I was lucky!!

Ya I got the thing in the independant for all the help it gave me! I didnt think it was much cop tho. I av studted science soo much nd its jus no good. I read&learned the book like 4 times bfore the mock, nd about the same again afta, no point at all!

mock results - (al higher)
    6 A's : english, maths, history, c.s.p.e, homec, nd business studies.
    4 B's: french, geography, science and irish

I was v happy wit most of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I like Science...but I'm doing the old course and I dunno how that differs to the newer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I'm the same as Jello, I'm doing the old Science Syllabus. Probably my favourite subject, but I'm a geek. I can see why some people mightn't like it, some of the equations are difficult, but that's all I find hard about it. I got 81% in my mock. I've been doing really well over the last while, so I think I'll do well on the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

disney wrote:
    mock results - (al higher)
    6 A's : english, maths, history, c.s.p.e, homec, nd business studies.
    4 B's: french, geography, science and irish

I was v happy wit most of them!
    May I just say WHOA! about your results! They're really good!! But if you really hate science, then there's no point. If you're planning on giving it up, then devote more of your time to subjects that you're planning on keeping. It's what I'm doing with geography and CSPE. But a B is really good, anyway. And yes, I am perfectly sane (well, it depends on who you talk to- *I* think I'm perfectly sane. But apparently only insane people think they're sane. Sorry, I'll stop waffling).

I got a D in Sceince for teh mocks, but we hadn't done electricity or half the rest of the physics at that stage and that was the main part of our paper!!
    Irish independant thingy didn't do me much good..
    Anyone listening to that "706" thing on 2fm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Anyone listening to that "706" thing on 2fm?

Yeah listened to it a bit. Some useless information but it was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The Old Science course is far superior to the new one.

FAR SUPERIOR.

I'm so glad I'm doing that one ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gaagirl101

i failed science:O ill prob fail it june 2 :( i cant make sense of it .. usually dont listen in class tho:L

Advertisement