Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

architrave ideas

Options
  • 02-03-2006 11:32pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

am putting in a ensuite partition with an angle and have a problem.

once the door finishes the partition goes at angle.

so how do I fix/attach the architrave so it looks ok.
    the plasterboard will at an angle beside the door frame ??

how can I make this work.
    space is limited and has to be at an angle right beside the door frame

thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can get 90 degree beading from a timber moulding crowd juts put that on the corner and allow it to run back to the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Karl

Maybe its me, but could you expalin that any better do you think?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Karl

Maybe its me, but could you expalin that any better do you think?

I re-read it again and see what you mean - must have been asleep

attached is a diagram of what I mean.
    the architrave in the left of the door is fine but on the right -the plasterboard is at an angle

what can I do here

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Put on the architrave sq to the face edge of the frame, and then return an angled slip to the angled side of the panel. Rip the face architrave on the right if you have to.

kadman:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

Rip a length of architrave so that it covers the frame to the direction change in partition but when you cut it bevel it to half the angle of the direction change. Get a second piece and rip it to required width and bevel it also so it joints up with the other piece so the two pieces make up the same width as one single piece would. To do this you will have to use an extra length and there will be waste but it will look class.

• Advertisement

Great minds think alike:D :D:D:D

Kadman:)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Sorry Karl I was composing a reply and Kadman & O-Ninio got there first. I agree with their suggestion.

You might able to get this all out of one piece of Architrave. Simply rip the width you require to cover the doorframe only and using the remainder (If enough) rip it again at the same angle as the partition. You should get a seamless fit. Use a few tacks if there is a slight warp in the arachitrave (there usually is)

We are probably assuming a 45 degree angle, but that being unrealistic. Us ing a bevel to get the correct angle and if you have access to a bench saw or circular saw match the angle and rip away. You should get a snug fit.

I had a diagram ready, but it couldn't match Kadman's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

It really depends on the profile of the architrave if you can get away with one piece if it is a plain piece with just a rounded edge you will not notice but assuming it is a more decorative piece the 1/8th of an inch or so lost during cutting to the blade width the butt joint will not marry together smoothly you could get lucky in that the cut may need to be made in a plain area.
    Someone has yet to mention the fun and games that will occur at the mitre at the head of the door there will be a few interesting cuts to be made there with a bit of thought beforehand.

Its probably easier just to mitre on the door frame face, and run a full sq cut slip on the return.

Martincorcoran,

Well the cad pic is imaterial to you and me Mc.. if we both understand the route to take , and can visualise the finished appearence, which we clearly agree on, as well as O ninio.

And you know me by now, always up for a cad challenge:D :D

Kadman:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

thx folks,
    will try this during the week and post a pic of the finished corner.

detail of pic will depend on finish :D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement