Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Force Feeding

Options
  • 02-03-2006 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Force feeding ~ as a rule I don't do it in my house as when we were kids we were made stare for hours at disgusting stuff like brussell sprouts for hours until we finished them.
    My DD was always an adequate eater, ate when she was hungry but lately when I serve up her dinner I get "Ugh, I don't like it" My response is usually just eat what you like and leave the rest, now I am concernd that she is not getting the correct amount of vitamins and nutrients.
    WHAT DO YOU DO? If they turn their nose up at the food do you make them sit there until they eat it or offer something else (which I don't want to start, I'm not running a hotel)I'd be interested on some feedback. Thanx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

I've got three teenagers now. We went through stages where one night broccoli was great and the next it was rot. We had friends who actually cooked three different meals for four people in the house.

My wife and I determined we would never do that. We made one meal, the kids would complain and either eventually eat it or we would know not to make it again. Force feeding out. I was made to sit at the table until I finished my dinner, no matter what I was not eating cooked carrots and peas. I missed an episode of my favourite show before I was finally let go.

Hang in, don't set the many meals precedent, be sensitive to their tastes and they will eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

And whats yuck last week is this weeks favourite with tanturms if you don't buy it despite the last lot all going in the bin. At least thats the way in this house.............

If anyone has a 100% guaranteed fix please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Does asking them when you're doing shopping what they want to eat for the week, work? I mean within reason. But basically asking them. Then it's a case of you picked it, you eat it. Might work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I don't force feed at all - I remember sitting for 4hrs staring at a brussell sprout when I was little & guess what - I still hate them!

There are more than enough veggies out there to have mix that everyone likes - and when mine goes through a stage of not liking his veg, he still likes fruit, so either way he gets the nutrients....I don't make a fuss - he gets asked three times & then we leave it.....no fix here ither, unfortunately...one week they love it, next week wouldn't touch it with a bargepole! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

C Fodder wrote:

If anyone has a 100% guaranteed fix please let me know.

If I did I would write a book and make a fortune. :D
    Ickle Magoo's runs to about what we did. Veggies are easy to cook. Five minutes in the microwave. Fruits even easier, out of the fridge into the mouth.
    And if they still refuse to eat, assume that they are full and there will be no treats before bed, unless they eat some fruit or veg.

Be prepared for the tantrums, and try to ignore it as best you can. They are trying to be the boss adn to see if you can outlast them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

if they still refuse to eat, assume that they are full and there will be no treats before bed, unless they eat some fruit or veg.

It's so true! It's amazing how they claim not to be able to fit a tiny wee bit of cabbage in but there is always room for ice-cream!! I make a point of declaring what pudding is when I dish out the main & stick to my guns.....I don't force them to eat anything but if they don't try at least 5 spoonfuls/forkfuls then they get no pud! ;):D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

We've been lucky in that our 3 are normal enough eaters. I think it has helped that we try them on everything and if they don'tlike something then sobeit. Unlike a lot of their buddies they love salmon and trout but not so big into white fish.

I second the notion that you shouldn't go down the road of cooking separate meals - it just panders to their natural tendency to be picky and gives you so much more hassle.

Advertisement