Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring on the snow

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we still have most of our snow that fell around 2 or 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yesterday was a bit of a non event at home. Suprisingly Drogheda itself got a good bit of frozen rain and the place was white briefly at around 2pm.

I preferred Thursday to be honest, at least it was proper snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The last chance fo this cold spell comes later then thats it for winter 06'

A ban of showers will push in to affect Ulster, Leinster and the Midlands
    from 1600-1900hrs... Hopefully the later with some frost on forming before
    the likely 2mm of precip in the Dublin region;)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Hopefully WC, would be nice to see a final snow shower! Only 9 months or so before we all hop on the rollercoaster again :)

I'm off to Hamburg and Hannover next Sunday for 3 days with work. Am I likely to see snow there??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

That's my recurring dream, eh, Crowdedhouse?

Good one Dougal !!

Four seasons in one day
    Lying in the depths of your imagination
    Worlds above and worlds below
    The sun shines on the black clouds
    Hanging over the domain
    Even when you're feeling warm
    The temperature could drop away
    Like four seasons in one day

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I just want to emphasise that Winter as such is not over for us till the end of March. Indeed its still possible to get snow in late March. It has happened several times before. Last year for example our last snow shower was in April! So I wouldnt rule out a return of Winter at some stage through March. However it is scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit at this stage.

Roll on a hot summer I say:D

P.S BEST CHART OF THIS 'SEASON' FOR US:

Rrea00120051125.gif

:cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think this cold spell is practically finished now, temps today are around 5 to 7c across most of the country, it will be very cold again tonight but tomorrow shud see 7 or 8C in most parts, any showers in the NW will be of rain/sleet/hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Rain shower in Clones!.

The fat lady is officially singing in Dublin !!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

yeah its over more or less, 8C in Kilkenny.. could see 9 or 10C tomorrow

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I was out the back having a smoke and it was actually nice to feel some warmth in the sun :) I get sick of the cold when there is no snow potential. Bring on the summer! Next winter will be the big one, its been brewing for a while :)

• Advertisement

im not so sure next year will be the big one.. back in november every newspaper and weather centre claimed this year would be record breaking when in fact barely anything deliveryed... many places still havent seen a flake this year. I think there might be more of a snow risk next year,it's not possible for it to be much worse than this year's insulting efforts. Now that this cold spell is over, I want the temperatures to really start lifting up now and the progression of warmish sunny days from the middle of April onwards with some hot and sultry week long scotchers in June, July & August with a couple of violent thunderstorms thrown in for good measure:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

It is like this. you wont see the next big winter coming. it will just come out of nowhere. it will just happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Winter 2005/6

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Gonzo wrote:
    .. back in november every newspaper and weather centre claimed this year would be record breaking when in fact barely anything deliveryed...

Not sure what weather centre said that this was going to be a record breaking year. British met office said " a 66% chance that this winter would be the driest and coolest since 1995". They got it bang on as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Starting a new thread discussing the by-gone winter here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50986421

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Our only chance of getting a bitterely cold winter with lots of snow is
    1.Move to north of scotland ie:Aberdeen/Inverness:cool:
    2.Atlantic conveyor shuts down :D
    3.The continental plate Ireland is on moves further north faster than 3 inches a year.:rolleyes:
    4.Nucleur winter :eek:
    5.Meteor/comet hitting the Earth,throwing up debris blocking out the sun :eek:
    6.Sallys gap in Dublin mtns :)
    7.PRAY :D:D:D
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 kaizer

Alright friend sorry for not gettin back to ya Ive been busy - Before I say anythin we gettin sleet now nothin to spectalar - wet snow- although I went out coast road to collect me ma and da last night round 1 !one) am and put it this way 3 miles an hour back in it was that bad. (and that was coast road)

I reckon I will never see lyin snow on any coast road for at least ??? years to come

Anyway Im from the coast Whitehead and ur man asked me to take pics.

I took pics

http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/9696/10000215ts.jpg

This was lookin down the coast road incoming over the irish sea- t minus 5 minutes

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/6332/10000254kw.jpg

she hit and came from the sea - blizzards

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2663/10000244af.jpg

total whiteout mates.

As I say sleet now is all we gettin in these heavy showers - I really wished u guys seen some snow--

Always next year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

So, basically, you guys got a "dusting" that was gone in a few hours? :rolleyes:

So, basically, you guys got a "dusting" that was gone in a few hours? :rolleyes:
    wrong - I pulled me camera out when it got started - They asked for some pics you got em.

Yes the cold snap is over but I took those pics just when it started

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Thats basically it SC, The North and parts of the North west have been getting snow all week though. But hey, we're not in charge of the weather, mother nature decides what we get ;)

All we gettin is heavy wet sleet showers - Winters over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

I know it doesn't snow very often in Ireland, but I didn't know you guys got so excited when it does snow.

I wonder how you would have reacted if you were here three weeks ago when we got 27 inches of it in 24 hours?

(Of course, the big storm was followed by a warm front and almost all the snow was gone just six days later.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Can we keep pictures out of these threads. I'm sure they must be good, but taking too long to download.
    I'm on diap-up :(:(

Still waiting for broadband to come to my area :mad: :confused:

No air or ground frost this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My car passed its NCT this morning, so i feel its only right to bring it up the Wicklow mountains for a spin (and to take some snow pics before it all goes!).
    Will put the pics in the pics thread.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Be careful. Dont worry folks there is always next year. Only 9 months to go!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Poor Swizz http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/03/05/story247759.html are getting too much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This winter in terms of synoptics has actually been very great I believe. It is certainly an unusual winter (should I speak in the present tense?) and this bodes well for the future.

I notice that there is a vague pattern in the weather lately. During late Jan and early Feb we had that mucky HP parked over us. Then the zonality rushed in for a few days and the LP then migrated SEwards, setting up a less-than-impressive easterly. The HP responsible then moved to Greenland giving us a relatively prolonged Northerly. Now we have the atlantic rushing in over us for nearly a week. This, if forecast correctly by the model charts, will stay with us for a few more days until a LP basically dies out over us and an easterly rushes in again:)

Nothing spectacular forecast but the chance of snow is there.

Winter is not pushing up the daises yet;)

LOL I looked at FI just there and the HP that was over Scandi moves to Greenland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Any comments on the potential for the end of the coming week? Or are we all just fed up :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement