Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring on the snow

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i dunno bout snow but its definitely getting cold enough for it.. its now -6 in Clones and a balmy -4 where I am... some parts of Ireland could see -8 or even -9 by the end of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

MULLINGAR(P) N 02 - n/a - -6 92 0.0 1001

And it's only the midnight reading! Brrrr...

The lakes in the lake county must be frozen over!

Some intense radar echoes showing up W of Scotland now...

Mullingar and Casement trade places on the table for 1am,

CASEMENT -6 down 1c
    MULLINGAR -5 up 1c

CHARLESTOWN MAYO is at -6.6c at 12am on the NRA Website.

NRA 1am Update:

CHARLESTOWN MAYO -6.9c
    REAGHSTOWN LOUTH -6.9c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sky news gave the west of ireland -12 for tonight.... dont think they'll get that tho

• Advertisement

yahoo weather is reporting -7 for Clones

Met Eireann website is down!

They might be launching their new site for Spring! was supposed to be launched for Winter 2005.

http://www.metoffice.com/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

W Scotland is looking nice on that pic...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

215 checkup

Prolonged stuff should be into NI by 6am..

Some shower preceeding it..

All moving very well:)

Anyone else having trouble viewing the BBC Weather sites?

• Advertisement

British MetO calling for "significant snow" in Northenr Ireland through the morning:D

Talkign about widely 5cms locally 10-15!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Got close to station record and may still get there.

-4.7C places it 3rd on all time list behind -5.1C on 1st Jan 2002, but now at -4.3C and falling....

Grass temp -10.6C is a station record, but recording commenced during 2002 so missed out on winter 00/01

Can see those clouds clearly over the sea

OK im going to make a few predictions.. snow into Dublin by around 12-2pm

Moderate and sporadic periods of snow.. slowly accumalating..

Snow to keep going through the evening..

3-5cms to be on the ground by evening with 3cm after 6pm;) :D

Overall depth in the Dublin regions should be around 2inches with bigger
    drifts.. some possible very heavy snow for the east of North Leinster
    as the wrap around brushes ashore;)

Anyway, some low temps from last night up to 6am.

Casement -7.5
    Mullingar -7.2
    Claremorris -6.9
    Birr -6.7
    Clones -6.4
    Dublin Airport -4.8
    Belmullet -4.4

Cold for March but it got colder everywhere in early March 2001. I haven't checked in depth, but certainly coldest at Belmullet since Mar 2001 and perhaps at other stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

3EF_PS_0.GIF

everywhere except here :(

its bloosy freezing though.

Since my last post, its got colder at Birr, -8C (rounded)

Up to -2.4C with me and sun is shining. It has got above the clouds over the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Good morning guys, looks like a damn cold one out there today, the place is white...........with frost! ;)

Anyway, just been looking at the met office rainfall radar and see that the body of precip has made landfall up north, but whats so different about this one? Doesnt seem very large, how do ye know it wont fizzle out over the north?

And what about that polar low, any updates on that as of yet?

Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Have been busy lately but I kept up with developments. I'm in a very good position should the LP take a track further out east. I'm somewhat exposed to the north as well as east thanks to Dundalk Bay:)

What is the most likely path for this to take? Latest MetE 3 hr chart has the snow approaching Mayo:confused:

I like WC's use of east parts of north Leinster:D

Will be back this evening to report on progress if any. If I dont reply you can take it that the electricity cut out from heavy snow;)

Im heading soon but i wont be going back to *cough* for the afternoon:D

Expect a bank of cloud to push down from the north.. Should brew up
    over the irish sea and be heavy along eastern coast.. snow elsehwere
    too.. Expecting snow to arrive in Dublin by 12;)

Currently -2.2c here

Some nice anvilsjust nudging the coast,I doubt they'll come in but I can actually see the precip falling from them.

Gerry Flemming wasnt ramping this morning on radio one.
    He said the snow showers were to push south today but there was nothing about prolonged snow or a wrap around in the East tonight.
    In fact he said it would be dry and frosty by evening with the showers confined to the north west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Earthman wrote:
    Currently -2.2c here

Some nice anvilsjust nudging the coast,I doubt they'll come in but I can actually see the precip falling from them.

Gerry Flemming wasnt ramping this morning on radio one.
    He said the snow showers were to push south today but there was nothing about prolonged snow or a wrap around in the East tonight.
    In fact he said it would be dry and frosty by evening with the showers confined to the north west.

Any chance that the stronger convection at this time of year might pep up that trough that's moving South and allow it to reach the South coast? I'm down in the South-East and wouldn't normally expect anything on a N'erly/N W'erly , but as it's now March I'm straw clutching ;)

Latest UKMO fax chart shows the low drifting away from Ulster southeastwards towards NW England so its looking like that by the time this drifts south , you will have a few heavy showers and thats it.
    The showers will tend to try and follow the low so that means the heavier ones in Ulster will probably clip Louth meath and Dublin and if lucky give a good coating.

Prolonged snow is unlikely so dont be expecting to be digging out drifts.
    As for further south,its less likely to be significant.
    I'm not expecting much in my area for instance as I'm reconing the southern arm of any showers is likely to get lost over the northern half of the wicklow mts.

Incidently they've just had Thundersnow in Aberdeen and theres generally over a foot and a half of snow now across that city and its still snowing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looks like unless your up north you'll not see anything worth talking about!!! Oh Well

But.........what about all the talk of snow lastnight, the 'significant amounts'? :(

*note to self....stop visiting the weather forum :v: *

Could still happen.
    It's a now cast situation to be honest.
    So keep watching the radar.

Doubtless WC will take the afternoon off and keep you updated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I told you there wouldn't be any!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

I can see the approaching bank of cloud to the north at the moment. I hope we get a decent fall here in Fermanagh for the kids, if not my sake :p

Fairy

LFCFan wrote:
    I told you there wouldn't be any!
    Hang on a second I didnt say there would be none.
    In fact I'm expecting snow in Dublin.
    One more unhelpfull post from you and you will be banned.

Accuweather are using there dark clouds and a snow picture for today, but dont mention any snow and there precipitation amount for today is 0.0mm, but a 3% chance of thunderstorms :eek:

http://ukie.accuweather.com/adcbin/ukie/ukie_forecast_day.asp?postalcode=CARLOW&ufdb=&metric=1&partner=&day=1

Maybe they're covering all there bases :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

well its official last night was the coldest in 10 years. -8c air temperature, ground temperatures hit -15c.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement