Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring on the snow

Options

Comments

Accuweather are using there dark clouds and a snow picture for today, but dont mention any snow and there precipitation amount for today is 0.0mm, but a 3% chance of thunderstorms :eek:

http://ukie.accuweather.com/adcbin/ukie/ukie_forecast_day.asp?postalcode=CARLOW&ufdb=&metric=1&partner=&day=1

Maybe they're covering all there bases :)
    Theres probably no human input into those.
    They wouldnt take account of last night and todays devolopments as, this weather is almost spontaneously developing.
    The BBC didnt mention it untill late last nigh, those forecasts could have been generated by a computer a day or two ago based on not very complete detail.
    They are okish in normal circumstances like with weather fronys moving up from the south west or high pressure etc but not with the sporadic development of polar lows.

So I wouldnt depend on that or any of the other similar ones.
    A lot of people mistakingly do in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Issued 01/03/2006 10:21:00

Severe Weather Warning

The cold snap will continue up until Sunday. Scattered hail and snow showers will be most frequent over the North and West and moderate accumulations of snow can be expected (3-5 cm) in places. Over high ground more significant accumulations are likely. Widespread, severe frosts will occur at night and road conditions will be dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 kaizer

Its unbelievable up here. Full blown blizzards:eek: Very heavy and settling everywhere. Wouldnt like to out in car at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Start pushing it down this way Kaizer, Bosco says share :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 kaizer

yes, ill blow as hard as I can. I hope you lads get some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Get the cam out Kaizer! Probably my best chance of seeing decent snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

kaizer wrote:
    yes, ill blow as hard as I can. I hope you lads get some

So many jokes...
    *head explodes*

Where are you exactly getting the blizzards?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Earthman wrote:
    Latest UKMO fax chart shows the low drifting away from Ulster southeastwards towards NW England so its looking like that by the time this drifts south , you will have a few heavy showers and thats it.
    The showers will tend to try and follow the low so that means the heavier ones in Ulster will probably clip Louth meath and Dublin and if lucky give a good coating.

Prolonged snow is unlikely so dont be expecting to be digging out drifts.
    As for further south,its less likely to be significant.
    I'm not expecting much in my area for instance as I'm reconing the southern arm of any showers is likely to get lost over the northern half of the wicklow mts.

Incidently they've just had Thundersnow in Aberdeen and theres generally over a foot and a half of snow now across that city and its still snowing :eek:

Thanks Earthman - to be honest , I'd be glad of even a ten minute snow shower at the moment - I've only recorded one day of snow falling ( and that was in November) . To be honest , I'm pessimistic about anything reaching down here as the track of the Low appears to be toward NW England now . The fax charts do show a trough clearing the Irish South coast after midnight , but as it's not being played up on the Irish forecast , I wouldn't rely on it . Looking better for you though, you should catch something further North up your way .

Hard to imagine the scene in Aberdeen , though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Have a lok at the BBC site below, they are predicting that precip thats up north now to pass over Leinster between 5/6pm...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/rain.shtml#no_url

Dundee and Edinburgh are seeing there first falls of snow at the moment, quite a bit too, I'm jealous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

kaizer where in the north are you?

Fairy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

kaizer you blow and we'll suck ;)
    It's another nice morning here very sunny, everywhere was white with frost but the sun soon cleared it.

Rte Weather just said only scattered light showers will push south, ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Another good low temp last night -6.1 C

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dazzling sunshine here once again, dont think we'll see much snow here if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

First of the day after passing over Sligo North Leitrim hardly worth talking about, seems to be heading in the Fermanagh direction. Hope there is more on the way. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Snow over NI has dissipated somewhat this morning,as it moves south we are really relying on convection ahead of the trough to get intensity back up,maybe so,but look at the snow over edinburgh,it has a SW motion in it,heading for Ireland,one to watch,Two polar lows have formed one which is hitting NI and the other over East Scotland,check this out:

http://www.net-weather.co.uk/index.cgi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Disappointing if nothing is going to come of that front :( I guess the possibility of that PL sitting in the irish sea and feeding precip back into eastern areas is gone now too? :rolleyes:

On a another note, whatever precip is coming might be moving faster. Met Eireann's 3 hour chart is:

3hr-rain.jpg

I'll have a look at everything in a moment and cast my latest thoughts.

In other news the dewpoint here in the last hour dipped to an incredible -8c and the relative humidity was down to 46%

That suggests very dry air and that convection is unlikely

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the front over NI is weakening fast, its broken in 2 now with one part heading over the irish sea towards the Isle Of man and the other which is now west of Belfast. It looks like only the midlands and west could see snow from this as the sector that is heading towards the east coast is already broken up into nothing.. i could be wrong tho.

• Advertisement

Temp fell to -3.4 here on the coast which is the lowest since 1987 that i have recordered,It has risen fast to 4.0 now so sleet will fall if any from this front before turning to snow,we shall see????

kaizer is in co fermanagh as far as I know so heavy showers there should head into cavan monagh and louth and perhaps north meath later including Kells.

Earthman wrote:
    I'll have a look at everything in a moment and cast my latest thoughts.

In other news the dewpoint here in the last hour dipped to an incredible -8c and the relative humidity was down to 46%

That suggests very dry air and that convection is unlikely

My temp is 4.2 dew is at -3.2 and my humidity is at 60%,but i can see the first band of cloud from the front approaching, temp now 4.3.

Are you on high ground Earthman?

Just started snowing here in Fermanagh. Small flakes and nothing settling yet.

Fairy

latest radar shows very heavy snow showers over south Donegal nudging towards sligo,north mayo and Leitrim banding Eastwards to Armagh and almost to Newry.
    They are curling in a formation out into the atlantic and right up into western scotland.
    They are heading in a definite south eastward track from what I can see towards North west England in the main.

So going on that I'd expect heavy snow showers across North Leinster and maybe into Dublin and certainly over south Ulster and North connaught over the next 6 to 8 hours.

South of that,I'm expecting nothing or very little but that could change.

Snowbie wrote:
    My temp is 4.2 dew is at -3.2 and my humidity is at 60%,but i can see the first band of cloud from the front approaching, temp now 4.3.

Are you on high ground Earthman?

I have a davis vantage pro 2 located in an exposed field 162ft above sealevel and 2 miles from the East coast and the Irish sea,south of the wicklow mountains.The ground rises quickly to the west of me,1000ft is about 4 miles away and 2000ft is about 6 miles away due wnw.

Heres a hot link to the details,if you refresh the image it will update every 5 minutes.
    summary.gif

in business now over sligo leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Snowbie wrote:
    but i can see the first band of cloud from the front approaching

Ditto here, I didn't want to suggest it because it's hard to tell if it's carrying anything. But there's definitely cloud building from the north, whatever it may or may not be bringing. For now, though, it looks kind of thin.

Yeah snow now getting heavy here in Fermanagh, starting to settle as well.

Fairy

• Advertisement

Just started snowing here in Fermanagh. Small flakes and nothing settling yet.

Fairy

I am in Manorhamilton and the last cloud was heading your way so you should be seeing a lot more now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement