Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring on the snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Earthman wrote:
    I have a davis vantage pro 2 located in an exposed field 162ft above sealevel and 2 miles from the East coast and the Irish sea,south of the wicklow mountains.The ground rises quickly to the west of me,1000ft is about 4 miles away and 2000ft is about 6 miles away due wnw.

Heres a hot link to the details,if you refresh the image it will update every 5 minutes.
    summary.gif

I also have a VP2 which is situated out my back garden 1 mile from the coast,located 92ft asl,my temp is falling now as the cloud rolls in with a few cumulus and i can see towering cumulus looking North of me,humidity is rising too,dew is still -3.
    Im just wondering about your dewpoint earthman is cold dry air rolling down from the wicklow mountains north of you,tends to lower dewpoint,but when your humidity starts to rise is when you will notice clouds spilling over you,its happening here in north dublin.

Snowbie wrote:
    I also have a VP2 which is situated out my back garden 1 mile from the coast,located 92ft asl,my temp is falling now as the cloud rolls in with a few cumulus and i can see towering cumulus looking North of me,humidity is rising too,dew is still -3.
    Im just wondering about your dewpoint earthman is cold dry air rolling down from the wicklow mountains north of you,tends to lower dewpoint,but when your humidity starts to rise is when you will notice clouds spilling over you,its happening here in north dublin.

Dewpoint is -9c now and that air is coming straight down from a snow capped lugnaquilla.

Rel humidity is an incredible 36%

It is very sunny and crisp

Humidity with mothman 15 miles up the road is 51% with a dp of -4.4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Heavy-ish snow starting now in Dundalk.

Here's hoping it will last. :D

That is a very heavy band of precip and its heading due south east.
    If it doesnt dissipate,I definitely expect it to cross most of co meath and intoi Dublin and North Wicklow.
    I doubt it will extend further south but you never know as it will defitely want to track in the same direction as its associated low and that could pull the precip a bit further south before it moves into the Irish sea altogether.

Earthman wrote:
    Dewpoint is -9c now and that air is coming straight down from a snow capped lugnaquilla.

Rel humidity is an incredible 36%

It is very sunny and crisp

Humidity with mothman 15 miles up the road is 51% with a dp of -4.4

That is incredibly dry alright,if you have any washing put it out on a washing line and will be dry for you in an hour-lol

Looks like that front is intensifying on the west side and dissipating on the east,looks like we will get a lot of cloud and maybe a flurry

• Advertisement

Heavy-ish snow starting now in Dundalk.

Here's hoping it will last. :D
    Looks like a period of heavy snow for you but the real heavy stuff is upwind and likely to head south of you in the track I mentioned.
    I expect WC to be back ramping shortly.

Heavy snow is very possible in Dublin in a few hours but not guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Stopped already. :(

Earthman wrote:
    Looks like a period of heavy snow for you but the real heavy stuff is upwind and likely to head south of you in the track I mentioned.
    I expect WC to be back ramping shortly.

Heavy snow is very possible in Dublin in a few hours but not guaranteed.

Cant see it happening here in Dublin,heavy stuff that is,maybe flurries but nothing to stop the traffic.
    You can tell by the radar the SE motion but it is dissipating to some extent on the southern flank,instability over land in the early afternoon might pep it up again as was the case like England yesterday when you had a shower train from chesire gap to the SE of England.We need intensification over land.
    Convection ahead of this needs to happen.

Snowbie wrote:
    Looks like that front is intensifying on the west side and dissipating on the east,looks like we will get a lot of cloud and maybe a flurry
    Looking back over the radar at 15 min intervals for the last 3 hours, thats not actually intensifying in the west its an intenser feed moving in from the curl of precip out in the Atlantic.
    That one doesnt seem to be dissipating at all.

The intial band that hit the north coast which was separate to this one is dissipating alright.
    It's whats giving the snow over Dundalk at the moment so there still a bit of pep there(but nothing like it was earlier)

The main band though is not connected to that one as such and is curling to the south of it.It's a lot more vigourous.

That said, the radar always over states snowfall so its hard to tell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the main snow area now seems to be over Leitrim, Sligo, South Donegal, its heading into Mayo, anywhere east of this and the precipitation is almost gone:( Where exactly is this more active precipitation thats in the northwest heading too? Is there any chance that we'll get the good stuff here in Meath or Dublin or are all were gonna get is the leftovers thats almost died over Monaghan & Louth?

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    Looking back over the radar at 15 min intervals for the last 3 hours, thats not actually intensifying in the west its an intenser feed moving in from the curl of precip out in the Atlantic.
    That one doesnt seem to be dissipating at all.

The intial band that hit the north coast which was separate to this one is dissipating alright.
    It's whats giving the snow over Dundalk at the moment so there still a bit of pep there(but nothing like it was earlier)

The main band though is not connected to that one as such and is curling to the south of it.It's a lot more vigourous.

That said, the radar always over states snowfall so its hard to tell.

Very true radar does overstate,i can see towering cumulus not far from Dublin as it has clouded over here slightly now and winds have picked up slightly,maybe just maybe things are starting to look up.
    What radar are you looking at?
    Is it metchecks?
    or ukmo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

I wonder if the big gap in the precipitaion was due to the Mourne Mountains destroying the front as it passed north to south? If so, the band to the west of here should get to Dublin intact if it is indeed moving in a south easterly or better still south south easterly direction.
    Car's parked in the shade here at work in D8 are still completely covered in frost despite the slight breeze!

highdef wrote:
    I wonder if the big gap in the precipitaion was due to the Mourne Mountains destroying the front as it passed north to south? If so, the band to the west of here should get to Dublin intact if it is indeed moving in a south easterly or better still south south easterly direction.
    Car's parked in the shade here at work in D8 are still completely covered in frost despite the slight breeze!

Maybe be so,that can happen,but look at more mountainis regions of the north and it has not happen there,all we can do is wait and see.INTERESTING THOUGH

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I can see the band of cloud appraching but im absolutely gutted:mad:

The band had disapted.. Westenr areas seem to be getting hammered alrite though:rolleyes:

Snowbie wrote:
    Very true radar does overstate,i can see towering cumulus not far from Dublin as it has clouded over here slightly now and winds have picked up slightly,maybe just maybe things are starting to look up.
    What radar are you looking at?
    Is it metchecks?
    or ukmo?
    AV briefs

But I have met checks aswell

I'm of the view that it will track east and will affect the areas mentioned later.
    But I simply do not know what state it will be in by then thats going to be a now cast thing.

Reckon much of the center of the country could do well maybe even south Dublin.....

Places like North Dublin, Meath and Louth to miss out:rolleyes: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Blizzard for exactly 1 hour now in Leitrim at least 3 inches and not giving up.
    Every bit is sticking and warning s on the local radio station. for the main roads

Ok you take over WC :D

I'm not expecting anything either so you're not alone there.

I've very low dp's though in sunshine.

Still -6c to -8c dp and RH of 42

current dp is -7

Air temp now peaked at 4.9c

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Earthman is there a chance of Carlow seeing anything if this band continues on the same track, or will it died out before it reaches us?

Temp 5.6
    dew -3
    hum 54%

MIGHT GET RAIN INSTEAD

• Advertisement

after the depression of seeing no imminent snow for here!

I have had a look at some data and it aint that bad:D

The band should get reinvigorated as the precip in the west
    mives east while the band itself moves south...

northermost extent i would say southern Meath:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

at this stage i find it comical... what on gawds earth does it take to snow around these parts, we had the crapiest winter ever then the biggest chance for snow over the past 5 years this week and nothing delivers.. we had all the right ingredients, all the right box's were ticked and yet it still doesnt deliver.. every shower since tuesday morning started breaking up as soon as they were south of the border.. you'd swear its on purpose. Ah well I had about 10 flakes of snow on Tuesday:( I dont think next winter can be as bad as this one for lack of snow

Gonzo wrote:
    at this stage i find it comical... what on gawds earth does it take to snow around these parts, we had the crapiest winter ever then the biggest chance for snow over the past 5 years this week and nothing delivers.. we had all the right ingredients, all the right box's were ticked and yet it still doesnt deliver.. every shower since tuesday morning started breaking up as soon as they were south of the border.. you'd swear its on purpose. Ah well I had about 10 flakes of snow on Tuesday:( I dont think next winter can be as bad as this one for lack of snow

Totally agree,lets all move 50miles north and we will get some,so close eh?
    Bring back the 80s were we got snow lots and so deep too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Is it just me or do Met Eireann not really know whats going to happen? :confused:

"Today
    Heavy hail and snow showers this afternoon but bright and sunny between the showers. Sunshine will be most widespread in the South. Cold with temperatures reaching just 2 to 5 degrees. Winds will stay mostly light."

'in the south'?? Where in the south? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Snow has stopped here in Fermanagh. Nothing worth talking about. Theres the odd snow flake blowing around in the wind but thats it.

Not sure if there is a chance of any more. Day really failed to deliver any snow at all, yet previous poster advises of Blizzards in Leitrim :(

Fairy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

is there any chance of decent snow in south dublin today, i have been telling my friends this for the past few days and i dont want to be wrong

not expecting more than a light flurry here now..

Band is moving south but the weak part will affect Meath.. Dublin:(

not expecting more than a light flurry here now..

Band is moving south but the weak part will affect Meath.. Dublin:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I don't remember signing up for weather text alerts, but can someone tell me who 0860615794 is and why I got a message saying 'Cometh the hour...cometh the Snow. Dublin set for heavy snow tomorrow!!. Enjoy a once in a 4 yr event!!!!'????? Was that you Weathercheck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

just starting the fall lightly here in kells

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement