Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring on the snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

It has just started snowing here in Carlow town.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bah, 20 mins of snow..:(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Mothman wrote:
    Still a little sunshine, but temp is dropping. Unfortunately Dp is rising nearly as fast
    Temp 3.6, Dp -1.4

Clouds bearing down. So while I will see flakes, they're not going to stick.
    You never know mothman,its heading down here at the right time sunset :)

I can see the bank of coud closing in entirely from the north now.
    Lugnaquilla has disappeared,I'd say its interesting up there!

Temp 4.7c here and dropping fast as I type.
    Dewpoint is still -4.7c

Wind NW at 11mph. which will be blowing down from the widest part of the precip-thats if the wicklow mts dont dry it out altogether.

Oh and I have to drive to cork early in the morning :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Just starting here too - very light

Temp 0.2

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Heavy looking precipitation to my north. About 5 minutes away now...

can still see sky to my south

• Advertisement

Strange.
    Still some blue sky to my sw but almost completely cloudy now.

I have some work to do for a couple of hours but I'll report back if any precip comes.

Temp is falling away rapidly.
    3.8c now dp -4.7 so the precip if it comes will be snow and if can delay another hr, and go for 2 hrs it should stick.

Might still get nothing tho!

Some very dark cloud passed right over here, had a brief snow/hail snower.....dissapointing :( . Still, very gloomy and lot of cloud coming from the NW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

90 sec light flurry and am about to see sunshine again.

Flakes melted on impact

Temp now 2.9C Dp -1C

It's really letting it down here now and it has got very dark.

Some sticking

Temp -0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I left Maynooth about 3:40 and it was starting to snow heavily, by the time I got to Clane I was driving through the best snow shower I have seen for years, huge flakes and everywhere had turned white.

When I got to Sallins there was even more there about half an inch on the grass, but it stopped snowing and once I got onto the motorway after Naas there was nothing only a few flakes in the wind. I'm in Tullow now and there isn't anything only a few clouds in the sky.

Ah well at least I got see some decent snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Once again Dundalk gets shafted by the Mournes :mad: Seems the only way we'll get snow is a direct easterly off the bay.
    10 minutes of powdery flurry at lunchtime, no settling, just meltwater.
    Mate in Armagh cith said there was about 4-5cm on the ground at that time but it's since melted too.

Earthman, should I expect anything in Tullow soon or has it missed us?

LOL Another 20 minute job

Was looking promising ther for a while - oh well :v:

Another light flurry here, the really dark heavy clouds seem to be slipping by to the west of me, :(

Nothing here as yet and I expect no more than a flurry.
    Theres showers to the east of me that look nasty but they'll just nudge about a mile from me.

Temp down to 2.7c dp -3c

And on the radar you can see where the precip has stalled over the south wicklow mts so I's say Glenmalure and Lug are going to have prolonged snow

But the precip at the other side of the mt's is ahead of this and continuing south.
    I'm in the gap waith for lug to finish with the shower first...

irish1 wrote:
    Earthman, should I expect anything in Tullow soon or has it missed us?
    Yeah you should get more in Tullow,its in a straight line up the road from you.

Getting very dark here now actually

maybe somethings happening

Killeshin hill has gone out of sight now, I'd say it must be snowing heavy up there (lucky buggers!! :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Freezing up here.. going to be icy and immensely cold if nothing else:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Is that is then for at least the next 7 days for Dublin???:(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus, we always seem to miss out here. A few small flurries and that's it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

There is a real chance of heavy prolonged snow showers coming south tomorrow night associated with a trough. UKMO has it progged at 00 Sunday for Eastern parts imparticular. Have to watch that one. Would definatley give a covering for some of us if it came off:)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Heavy snow in Ballymount for about 40 mins or so, stuck for a bit but was melting as I left work. Back at home and very little. Is this our lot or are there any other surprises for the weekend?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

darkman2 wrote:
    There is a real chance of heavy prolonged snow showers coming south tomorrow night associated with a trough. UKMO has it progged at 00 Sunday for Eastern parts imparticular. Have to watch that one. Would definatley give a covering for some of us if it came off:)

I hope its a big and prolonged as the one we had today :)
    :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

darkman2 wrote:

This bad boy?

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4606/brack0a3vi.gif

It'd be nice if it was a fatter trough than today's or kind of brushed us in a way that prolonged the showers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Felixdhc wrote:
    I hope its a big and prolonged as the one we had today :)
    :v:

lol beat me to it.

darkman2 wrote:

Ohh no, I didnt hear that...I didnt hear that :o:o ....I'm going to go mad :v:

Meanwhile, here in Carlow, its still spitting snow, very lightly. The sad thing is, that it was sticking from the word go here, even though it was light, such a shame :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

darkman2 wrote:

I wouldnt bet on this at all,what happened today was from a weak polar low forming north of NI,A weak PL has much more potential for holding more moisture,(it is a low depression after all)than a trough,a trough is a line of showers albeit wintry at this time of year,but if this comes straight over land it will disipate in intensity so coming from the north it will just pep up the shower activity up north but nothing will happen after south NI (fermanagh etc)but if it came from a NE direction over the Irish sea well then it could be interesting,i dont want to dissapoint anyone here but after the stories of our infamous Irish sea PL from yesterday which was on the cards alright i would not hold my breath on this one,though i wish to be wrong.

Nothing in Tullow, dark clouds to the West of me, ah well.

Not one flake here either.
    The wicklow mts took it all-it just wasnt strong enough.
    A shower did make it down to Arklow town alright,my sister caught it as she went along the bypass but it only got that far inland and no further.She said it was very heavy as she was driving through Donnybrook on the way out of town.

This wouldnt have happened back in the 80's...

As for tomorrow night,I'll be in west Cork so I wont be seeing anything happening on the East coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Was pretty heavy on the way home from work, was a little scary being a learner driver, thankfully no-one acted the muppet and the traffic spaced itself well and I felt reasonably safe.
    Was settling in the Stillorgan area but a few miles away nothing, and the snow had almost totally petered out.

Was pretty excited in the car thinking as long as it doen't settle by the time I get home its going to be fun tonight..a few minutes later that was all gone :(
    At least I got to be out and about in some proper snow for a few minutes, was weird sitting in traffic with the wipers just wiping the flakes off the windscreen and not a sound and no moisture left behind, stange thing to see for the first time.

Oh well maybe tomorrow...

Earthman , doubt you'll miss anything tbh down in Cork, my hopes for tomorrow are small to say the least.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement