Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring on the snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Will there be much snow in the south east of the country? Carlow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

An echo in the irish sea is becoming larger and might clip Dublin coast
    have a look

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/radar/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

jold bejebus:eek:

Its -5c in Casement at 8pm:eek: YIKES:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snowbie wrote:
    An echo in the irish sea is becoming larger and might clip Dublin coast
    have a look

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/radar/

I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

your dead right,but it did cloud over here for awhile on the coast
    ah well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

snow is only fun in December. March snow should not be encouraged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 jax frost

colm_mcm wrote:
    snow is only fun in December. March snow should not be encouraged

You are so right!

I had the urge to cook Christmas Dinner today and it was just ridiculous :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The buggering things are growing in the Irish sea though, maybe Arklow or one of the coastal towns in Wicklow might see some as the east coast bulges a little out to the sea there.

Soo close to Dublin..but yet so far..a tiny bit of easterly would push them ashore!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Think a shower may make lanfall in south Dublin North Wicklow
    imminently;)

just had a flurry here on the coast,not much to write home about but it did snow,hmmm,these are new and threatening,not getting my hopes up.temp-1c

• Advertisement

Longfield wrote:
    The buggering things are growing in the Irish sea though, maybe Arklow or one of the coastal towns in Wicklow might see some as the east coast bulges a little out to the sea there.

Soo close to Dublin..but yet so far..a tiny bit of easterly would push them ashore!

Or (but get her to put her coat on)

Proline_22.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Is there room for me on that boat?? :v: :v:

(Thats a mechanical vechicle, you'll scare away the non existant snow :v: )

NW wind

Landfall by those showers is unlikely.
    They'll hit Pembroke before morning though.

Theres 2 seats in the back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Well it's not a mechanical vehicle that travels on snow so maybe it will attract it instead :D

Not much happened in Galway today a light dusty shower that lasted all of 5 minutes and that was it. Oh well.

Is everyone in the 'anti-climax' stage after todays no show? :D I know I am, what a kick in the ass that was.

Anyway, I assume this weather wont be sticking around for too long more, anyone have any idea of whats on the cards (or is there at least ONE more chance for snow??)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i doubt there will be anything more unless you live in Mayo, Sligo, Donegal or Northern Ireland. All we can hope for now is a surprise snow event sometime over the next 4 to 5 weeks... I remember in the 80s we often had snow in March and I even once remember getting 8 inchs of snow in April.

Gonzo wrote:
    i doubt there will be anything more unless you live in Mayo, Sligo, Donegal or Northern Ireland. All we can hope for now is a surprise snow event sometime over the next 4 to 5 weeks... I remember in the 80s we often had snow in March and I even once remember getting 8 inchs of snow in April.

Great pics today gonzo
    Remember the good old snow 80s, 1981 1982 1987 were all exceptional for snow,it snowed for fun back then,none of this hoping for that shower to take a detour off the sea.IN 1992 JAN4 FEB7 FEB9 we had great snow then too,then you had to wait untill march1 2001 a polar low formed off the NW and moved SE to hit dublin early on the 1st,4 inches fell that day in 10hrs of snow,that my friend are the last times we got decent snow in dublin,a few dustings here and there not worth talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The radar is not lying

Snow

A good fall of big flakes. Deck is 50% covered.

Temp up to 1C and grass temp just below zero.
    Dp -2C

I've put the halogen security light on :D:D:p

• Advertisement

Didn't last long, but at least it stuck. About 70% covering on the deck.

Mothman wrote:
    The radar is not lying

Snow

A good fall of big flakes. Deck is 50% covered.

Temp up to 1C and grass temp just below zero.
    Dp -2C

Nice one,least you got some after your no show today,how heavy is it flurried here about 2 hrs ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Right you b*stards (with central heating wishing for snow).... Can someone tell me when this bloody cold spell is going to end?????? Currently -4 here in West Cork and only have 16amps, half a bottle of gas and feck all insulation to keep warm :mad:

Met Eireann's 3 hour precip chart:

3hr-rain.jpg

I might get a teeny bit tonight, hmmm. There is no chance of that stuff to the north west and north east being blown down, no?

Here is a statistic,its been the coldest march since i have been taking readings,and thats over 16 years here were i live.it has got down below -1 for three consecitive nights.-3.4 i recorded last night which has been the coldest ever in any month of the year here at the coast.Coldest last year 2005 was 0c recorded in late nov.

Has anyone got info about weather maps or charts archived from the 80s or beyond,as i have tried everywhere to get my hands on them for the snow received in them years,be interesting to look at for them snow years,any help here would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

The heavy showers moving through the north at the moment....Is that a trought that could affect more southern areas (such as Dublin) or just the showers getting going again from the north which disipate when they reach the border - even the shaggin weather is political, it seems!!!

Just looking at the stats so far this month (yeah I know it's only the 3rd) but the average temp at Casement since the start of the month is -0.2 - WOW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

You guys over there are useless. How many inches? (Or centimeters)

I saw the news report on RTE. Looked like Sligo got about 2 inches. What did the rest of the country get?

well the snow stuck in the shade (where the sun hadn't shone all day) for about 30 minutes maybe - thats how bad it was in Dublin

T'was very VERY scary :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Well I suppose it would have hit some places so late that, like SW Dub, it's still there. Might have a photo op tomorrow. Kind of like the photo opportunity you might get standing beside Jesus on the cross. Once in a lifetime. That's my recurring dream, eh, Crowdedhouse?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement