Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sticky Mouse Traps - Where can I get in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

very inhumane tbh the rentokill traps available in texas homecare or atlantic i think(one or the other) ,are 100% effective and u can let them go away from the house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

So they can come right back in?Nah,if you want to get rid of mice you have to kill them..sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

I agree, they're incontinent disease carrying vermin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Whizzo

Remember these things don't kill mice they just hold the in some tortuous position til you arrive and whack them with a hammer.

Best bet is the good old wooden mouse trap with a bit of bacon fat or chocolate on it. Quick for you and the mouse

If you do get the stickies, make sure to get back on this thread and see how you felt when you had to remove or dispatch the little guy:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Haven't seen one of these in years! - they work well though.
    make sure you tie some string to it and tie the other end to something solid otherwise you might find the mouse skateboarding around! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

well , I went with the poision (€2.50) and I'd never bother with it again.
    It worked alright, killing the feçker but then I had to go and find him - had to pull out a load of things like the cooker ect until I found him behind the fridge.
    I tell ya, the inhumanity;)

I've now got some of the sticky traps and have put a few down. When a mouse gets trapped in one of them I'll fling it out the window into the garden to join the food chain!

Poison is a bad idea - if you don't find the mouse you get maggots, flies and stinkyness for ages. When you catch the wee freeloader why not drop it into a bucket of water to drown it? Should be a quick and relatively painless death.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

well , I went with the poision (€2.50) and I'd never bother with it again.
    It worked alright, killing the feçker but then I had to go and find him - had to pull out a load of things like the cooker ect until I found him behind the fridge.
    I tell ya, the inhumanity;)

I've now got some of the sticky traps and have put a few down. When a mouse gets trapped in one of them I'll fling it out the window into the garden to join the food chain!

I do not understand; what is wrong with the little cheap wodden spring loaded yokes you buy in any hardware shop? The poison means you have to lift floorboards to find the stinking carcass and the glue is torture.
    Just buy the cheapo wooden thing and be done with it?
    They work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I had a mouse in my attic about 4yrs ago and he kept getting the bait from the wooden traps, so I got some poison and put it up there.

Quiet all of a sudden and when I went to check up there, he was brown bread but way in the corner I couldn't get access to...

anyway I thought he would rot away and tink, but he's still there 5 yrs on in the same old place and not a bit of decomposition. Strange, eh?

Also, I agree you got to kill the feckers to stop them coming back. I used a glue trap many years ago and when he got caught, I just put him in the plastic bag in the bin. Couldn't bear myself to smash him with a hammer, so I let him die a nice slow one...:o

Someone PM'd me with these questions:

Did you manage to get the stickies in Dublin or did you go ebay?
    How long are the stickies and are they reusable?

I didn't really bother looking in Dublin, I got them off eBay instead, arrived in 5 days.
    I don't think they're really reuseable and at about €1 to €1.50 (depending on the amount you buy) I wouldn't bother. You can lay them flat or fold them in to a box using the perforated guides.

Here's some photo's: (click on to enlarge)

13di3.th.jpg

25mz.th.jpg
    32of.th.jpg

• Advertisement

Desmo wrote:
    I do not understand; what is wrong with the little cheap wodden spring loaded yokes you buy in any hardware shop? The poison means you have to lift floorboards to find the stinking carcass and the glue is torture.
    Just buy the cheapo wooden thing and be done with it?
    They work.

Same as Lex Luthor above, the mice kept taking the bait.
    They've taken enough of my food and I'm certainly not going doing a buffet service!

The trick with the wooden bait traps is to sew the bait onto the staple. I used bacon covered in jam/peanut butter/cadbury's caramel. They're quick so they can avoid the spring but they're also greedy. They'll tug at the bait and then the last thing to go through their mind will be the metal spring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

lomb wrote:
    very inhumane tbh the rentokill traps available in texas homecare or atlantic i think(one or the other) ,are 100% effective and u can let them go away from the house.
    I don't agree. A number of times they have managed to get into these ones in my house and eat the bait without the trap door closing on them. Perhaps they work in pairs and one jumps up on top to weigh the trap down while the other one gets the food. But they do woek a lot of the time and we just let the cute little critters go across the road.

seems these glue traps are illegal in Ireland, even to posses them!
    from today's Indo:

Banned Glue Traps Trade Smashed

[FONT=Verdana, Arial] AN illegal trade in 'glue traps' for birds and rodents has been exposed by Department of the Environment inspectors.
    Wildlife inspectors have nabbed a company bringing in the traps which are banned here. They are also being sold on the internet.
    The glue traps are used to trap a variety of birds and rats.
    A large quantity of unapproved glue was seized at Dublin Port recently by the inspectors attached to the National Parks and Wildlife Service of the Department of the Environment.
    Prosecutions are being prepared against a number of individuals.
    A company caught importing the glue traps has agreed to recall them.
    Environment Minister Dick Roche yesterday expressed his concern at the availability of glue traps being sold for trapping birds and rodents.
    "I believe that many retailers and members of the public may be unaware that to sell or to possess an unauthorised trap is an offence under Irish law.
    "My department is actively pursuing the sale of these illegal traps and glues. Prosecutions have been and will be taken where breaches of the law are detected," Mr Roche told reporters.
    TREACY HOGAN
    [/FONT]

Advertisement