Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just moved to Melbourne

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

damn you all, I'd love to be moving to Oz :( Maybe in 3 more years! (after college)

good luck to ye anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Hi All

Aaah the memories. Lived in a place called Heidelberg in Melbourne for a year nearly 11 years ago now.I can honestly say it was the best year of my life.
    For anyone going to OZ I recommend Melbourne, its a fantastic place, great nightlife,Bars etc and I am sure in 11 years it could only of improved.
    Lived in Sydney for about 6 months too, prefered Melbourne for the culture side of things, and Sydney for the weather.

Goood luck to one and all on their travels

Chef

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Strewth should bloody well organize a boards beers downunder!

What do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Were just compiling all our info for our skills assessment which will be sent off this week (applying for the 136 visa). My wife had some superb news from work (she is our main applicant and is a software developer). Firstly she had hoped there might be a "slight" possibility she could keep her job and work from home in Melbourne. She thought it was a long shot but researched as much as she could before she had to tell her boss our news about emegrating. She contacted someone who used to work in the Northern Ireland office who had done the same. She had also researched to see if there was an office in Melbourne which there is..

So last week she told her boss our story and asked if he would do her up a reference. He was very shocked and told her she would be sorely missed. He then asked her would there be any way she would consider staying on, working from home in Oz. She said she hadn't thought about that option but would be open to it (!!!!). He then said "hey you know that guy in the Northern Ireland office who did this. Maybe you should contact him and see whats involved". I hadn't thought of that she said (!!!). Also he told her to check if there were any offices in Melbourne (!!). He now thinks it's all his idea...

The thoughts of heading our there with one constant wage is a blessing. Any idea how she would go on about income tax? Would she pay here or in Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hey dave, you generally pay tax in the country in which you're domiciled - but I'm not sure how that would work if her employer continued to strip away PAYE...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Bumpity - I'm interested to know how those in Melbourne are getting on - seansouth, looking at you here - and how the applicants - daveg - are going with their planning?

Good points, bad points, surprises, experiences - share share share!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

my good theres a lot of sydney-bashers on this thread.
    I have yet to encounter anything about this city that i don't like.
    Sure its probably the most expensive city in Australia but its still cheaper than dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

good thread lads,

me and the missus, 2 kids 5 & 10 are planning on moving back to Ireland after 10 yrs in sweden of all places but we're hoping to stop off in Oz for a yr or two on the way.
    Im a mental health nurse and she works in It but can also do medical secretary stuff.

Where do we start with all the paper work etc? Were aiming for this time next yr, ie july 2007.

- and how the applicants - daveg - are going with their planning?

Good points, bad points, surprises, experiences - share share share!

[start rant]
    God damn agency and solicitor's!!!! Sent all info off as requested (including certified photocopies, certified by solicitor) to the agency who sent on the ACS to access TRS. Now the agency come back and say they need more info (what am I paying the agency for? cause there supposed to know, 100% what is required). Took 3 fecking weeks to get further information photocopies certified. They are winging there way to Oz as we speak since last week. Why does this make any difference I hear you say? Cause my wife turns 30 in 4 weeks. If we do not have our TRS result by then we loose 5 points which will have to be made up, most likely, by investing the guts of €60K in the OZ government for a year.
    [/end rant]

Apart from that not bad :)

The process is so slow and takes so long... Good news is the buyers of our site signed contracts yesterday so that's the major ties gone.

Murtinho wrote:
    Where do we start with all the paper work etc? Were aiming for this time next yr, ie july 2007.

don't know what visa you should apply for if your only staying a year but if you try the forum below they will tell you:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54

• Advertisement
Advertisement