Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Cut off after cap pass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Tbh they don't really do anything...
    Well I havent had any problems with EsatBT in the past 2years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I just checked my history - in the last year I have downloaded 22GB and uploaded 9. I just have to ask, what are all you guys downloading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

kjt wrote:

that some program your running there? must get me 1 a those, dont wanna ring up BT to fix the usage calculator cuz i fear i'll be highlighting me going over the cap!

edit: DU meter i see! god bless google!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Cormic wrote:
    I just checked my history - in the last year I have downloaded 22GB and uploaded 9. I just have to ask, what are all you guys downloading?
    TV shows, movies, music, games. If you're not in danger of breaking your cap every month then you're really not getting the best out of broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

My usage calculator has been stuck on pause for nearly 6 months now....and its a free "get out of jail card" I dont intend to use until Im fooked with possible charges in the future!!!

• Advertisement

DS wrote:
    TV shows, movies, music, games. If you're not in danger of breaking your cap every month then you're really not getting the best out of broadband.
    haha I'll second that!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Onthebus

I WAS with BT for over a year

I have gone over the cap every month and then suddenly they decided to turn my dsl off near the end of feb - no warning at all

it was off for several days till it was reset by going into a new month on March 1st

The tech support and customer care couldnt have cared less

The Esat usage counter hadnt worked for months and permanently read zero

I was livid! No email, no nothing - I had to go to internet cafes to check email.

I am moving to Magnet - esat pushed me too far and I found great deals elsewhere - thanks esat for the favour, you just shot yourself in the foot!!!!

Esat cant treat customers like that - as if people had no other option. Magent are offering more for cheaper (if they are in your area.)

Im going to have 8meg and a 150gig download cap. And beyond the cap I only pay 50c per gig compared to esats 30 euro per gig!!!

Esat should get real

As customers we should support the hungry aggressive new companies who are prepared to offer much more that the big old dinasoars like esat and eir(con)

I have gone over the cap every month

Emmm lol?
    Suits you right tbh. You know you were over the cap
    so what's your problem. They didn't even charge. Why
    the hell should they have to give you a warning.
    I know you say their site wasnt working to tell you what
    you had downloaded but you already knew you went over it.
    Most people won't go near the cap so it doesnt matter.

Tbh If that happened to me I'd count myself lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I have on average around 150 - 200 GB download and 30 - 40 GB upload per month and don't ever get notified about it... I have to say that I am paying enough for the service as it is anyway, Digiweb.
    People like you that slow down speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

@Onthebus,
    No warning you say. So you didn't read the T&C's of the service you signed up for then or never read through the FAQ's on the BT website?
    It's obvious that you knew the exact ammount you were downloading whether or not the online checker was working or not.
    And why would customer service or tech support care that you were in breach of contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

kjt wrote:

Hi
    What is that program u are using i could do with it to :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Carpenter wrote:
    Hi
    What is that program u are using i could do with it to :D:D:D

dumeter it's not a freebie though, unless your me. ;)

nice little app i have to say, just sits hiding in the corner until i ask it to come to me. like a good dog. 60mb in 2 days for me, that must be a personal record. usually it'd be gb's.

who on earth goes and reads thru faqs and terms on the bt website??
    .5% of nerds with a lot of time on their hands?

You get the info from the sales person, they answer your questions and then you sign up and away you go....

I did read the main terms and it said that they would charge for going over the cap.

This didnt happen so esat are not consistant with the terms they have agreed with the client

Esat dont have the means to bill when you go over the cap - they have stated this so they have just decided to shut down the line totally in order to compensate for their own short comings and therefore punish their clients wiht NO connectivity.

1 - they havent informed me as a customer that they are reneging on the agreement they made with me

2 - They never phoned or emailed me to warn me that they would be shutting down my connection to the web for several days (could mean I miss a major deadline worth tens of thousands, I might be happy to pay extra for the line to be kept open). Thereby giving me the chance to cut down usage

3 - They have an internal tool which they use to track the up and down rates of usage while the usage counter they offer to their clients doesnt work and just reads ZERO for months.

Terrible way to treat your customer and its pushed me to another company.

And in terms of the "conditions" how could a company state they are going to charge you for each meg when you go over the cap and at the same time shut you down when you do go over?

Are you claiming that both conditions were in the contract I signed?

Its common knowledge that isps have not charged customers who have gone over so thats a reasonable assumption to make but cutting clients off is a really primative form of communication and managing relations with customers.

Its not obvious how much I have down loaded as there isnt a working counter anywhere - when you down load a gig there is more than just that amount of data invovled, there is all sorts of data lost to error correction etc

do you time all your phone calls in case your phone company over charges you? No, you make a reasonable assumption that they are metering your usage accuratly and allowing you access to that info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

jor el wrote:
    I went over and got cut off on Feb 28th. In fairness it was a busy month and I went over by some 50-60G so I can't really blame them. Tech support guy told me why straight away when I gave him my number. He said I wouldn't be charged this time but future cap breakage would result in a charge. I don't know how true this is but at €30 per Gig I won't be going over the cap by that much next month.

I might try to go over the cap just at the end of the month to see if I get cut off or charged. Testing the water as it were.
    i wouldnt push it if i was you
    there being nice enough you would'nt want to take that for granted
    come on 50 to 60gb over thats huge
    although considering im still stuck with isdn thanks to eircom and their bad researchers and id think that 100mb in a month is huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

smemon wrote:
    dumeter it's not a freebie though, unless your me. ;)

nice little app i have to say, just sits hiding in the corner until i ask it to come to me. like a good dog. 60mb in 2 days for me, that must be a personal record. usually it'd be gb's.

Thank you very much ;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

here we go again.

what's the point in giving people 3mbit dsl if they can't use it?

30gb cap? flat out that's gone in less than 48 hours. they may as well have left everyone on 512kbps for all the good 3mbit is without the legroom to use it properly.

companies like magnet aren't doing anything revolutionary with broadband in ireland. all they're doing it closing the gap between us and the rest of europe.

eircom (and therefore BT/UTV etc.) have been dragging their feet with regard to telecommunications in ireland to milk it's customers for years and they're still getting away with it because people shift the blame onto the users who are pushing the technology forward, (i.e. the people using it to its fullest potential) us, as in the net savvy consumer, by getting everyone into the mindset that we're the ones who make it slower for the people who aren't even using it most of the time.

the bandwidth is there in spades full of unused potential, as proven by magnet who are running adsl2 at up to 24mbit with 8mbit data, digital tv and voice on the same exchanges that eircom uses to feed us 3mbit.

a magnet customer on the phone to their mum whilst watching neighbours is using more bandwidth than i even have access to, and it all goes into the same exchange and onto the same fibre network as every other (aside from wireless) internet user in ireland. but me breaking a 30gb cap is going to cause the world to end? i don't think so.

i read somewhere that a 3rd of european internet traffic goes through ireland on its way to and from the US, yet even with these 'wonderful' new speeds we're still right at the bottom of the euro internet access league tables.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Onthebus wrote:
    who on earth goes and reads thru faqs and terms on the bt website??
    .5% of nerds with a lot of time on their hands?

Sensible people who want to know exactly what they are committing themselves to. :rolleyes:

I think you might have missed my point dub45

if esat's original terms that I signed up to included both:

1 - we cut you off when you hit your cap

and

2 - we charge you for each meg you go over

then dont you think there is a "slight" contradiction here?

It was very clear that they were going to (2) - charge.

being cut off was never mentioned or typed on the page
    its something esat have invented since they are incapable of billing for each meg over the cap

good point vibe666

the download speed increased and the limit decreased

the limit was 16 up and 16 down adding to give 32 gig when I initially signed up with Esat. Its now 30gig and then we kill you.

I wonder what genius thought of turning on the tap more and using a smaller bucket?

Its almost like teasing the customer - "heres a really fast ferrari, but you can only drive down this road and do 20 kmh, (otherwise we take the keys away - but lets not tell him that now, we will surprise him later when he really needs the car, hehe)"

and hey if esat ever get their billing system working - since they signed everyone up to 3c per meg they can suddenly make buckets of money by charging 60 times what Magnet charge per gig(30euro vs 50cent)

now thats what I call competition in the market! No one will every figure that one out - sure look at the abuse the Irish take from banks.....

are there double agents working in esat who really work for Magnet?

why havent esat already offered me 8 meg on the same line?
    why havent they upped the cap from 30 gig instead of cutting people off?

are they trying to get rid of customers?
    are their workers doing too tired to cope?

Their behaviour beggers belief

Anyone else out there dumping esat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Some of your questions are just simply stupid.
    Double agents, esat offering over the 3Mbit that Eircom sell to them?
    You sound like you've lost it. :D:D:D

Esat have always said they "reserve the right to charge" and it was this that helped me on my way to NTL. So they didnt charge you! Your lucky. 30 yoyo's a Gig is madness! But you broke the contract by breaching your cap so they changed the service by cutting you off.

Legally i dont think you ave a leg to stand on so your argument on this point is pretty much null and void.

And personally i'd go with the option to be disconnected than pay 30 a gig when my BB costs just 30 for a whole month!!

Also how much is 8Meg BB costing you?

• Advertisement

Onthebus wrote:
    I think you might have missed my point dub45

No I did not miss your point at all - you asked a question and then answered it offensively in my opion towards people who actually read Terms and Conditions and implied that a busy person like yourself had far better things to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Onthebus wrote:
    I was livid! No email, no nothing - I had to go to internet cafes to check email.

How dare they! The cheek! Surely they can't get away with stopping you from stealing their bandwidth!!

They should have allowed you to continue and charged the 30 euro per gig you went over instead.

:rolleyes:

Adey2002 wrote:
    How dare they! The cheek! Surely they can't get away with stopping you from stealing their bandwidth!!

They should have allowed you to continue and charged the 30 euro per gig you went over instead.

:rolleyes:

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

I think if BT intend to impliment their cap rule they should put it in big writing on their web site and send e-mails to all their customers informing them of this. Having gone well over the cap each month for the last two years I would be very surprised to get a bill for 6000 euro next month without so much as an e-mail informing me that they now intend to charge. I was cut off for one day last month around the 24th put it came back on the next day. I took this a signal that it was okay to download as much as I wanted.
    Really there is no pont in fast internet if you have to watch every megabite you download. If the cap is 30gb then the speed should be reduced to allow 27/7 use, which would bring us back to around dial up speeds. If the ISPs here can't provide a decent service they should leave the building and let in a company that can.

I agree with you on some points here.
    Others not so much. But i believe the point was that they are disconnecting rather than charging....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

You're right, I did stray from the point a bit, but the thought of being cut off on the 7th of March untill April fools day has me so up in a heap that I don't know what I'm typing half the time. I'm faced with the dilema of of not using the internet for the rest of the month or using it and risk getting cut off. What I'd really like is for someone from BT to come on and say that they were only having a laugh last month and it won't happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Blindpew wrote:
    You're right, I did stray from the point a bit, but the thought of being cut off on the 7th of March untill April fools day has me so up in a heap that I don't know what I'm typing half the time. I'm faced with the dilema of of not using the internet for the rest of the month or using it and risk getting cut off. What I'd really like is for someone from BT to come on and say that they were only having a laugh last month and it won't happen again.
    If your usage is that high and you are dependant on an internet connection then you should be on a business connection, costing more money of course.
    The problem is that the packages that most people are on are tailored for the average residential/home user and for that, they're well suited.
    If you need flat out 24/7 bandwith then a residential package is not for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

kaizersoze wrote:
    @Onthebus,
    No warning you say. So you didn't read the T&C's of the service you signed up for then or never read through the FAQ's on the BT website?
    It's obvious that you knew the exact ammount you were downloading whether or not the online checker was working or not.
    And why would customer service or tech support care that you were in breach of contract?
    That would imply that you have some sort of contract with them. I for one have no contract with BT other than what was said on the phone to me when I signed up. I was told it was a minimum of one year and that was it. I was not told, or given, any Terms and Conditions, nor was I told where to find them. My online account with BT has no information about my contract or the terms contained in it.

If BT try to charge me for being in breach of a non-existent contract they'll find themselves the subject of a fraud investigation. My authorisation goes as far as €50 per month for line rental and broadband, plus calls. Anything beyond this has never been authorised by me, and they'll have a hell of a hard time proving that I agreed to any of it.

I emailed them last week to find out exactly what my contract was, but have yet to receive a reply.

Also, as Onthebus says, the FAQ states that if you break your cap that BT reserve the right to charge you. It doesn't say anything about cutting you off. If it is not in the T&C's or contract that they can cut you off then BT are in breach of the contract themselves.
    Onthebus wrote:
    the limit was 16 up and 16 down adding to give 32 gig when I initially signed up with Esat. Its now 30gig and then we kill you.
    The limit is still an 'each way' limit. For BB+ users it's 30G up and 30G down, not 30G combined.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the aregument in this particuluar thread I cannot understand why the isps do not make a point of making sure that every customoer is given a hard copy of the terms and conditions or that at least when they are signed up a copy is automatically emailed to each customer - it could hardly be that hard to set up such a routine process?

But it is very hard to get away from the argument that the customer should make sure they know exacty what they are signing up for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Onthebus wrote:
    good point vibe666

the download speed increased and the limit decreased

I wonder what genius thought of turning on the tap more and using a smaller bucket?

Its almost like teasing the customer - "heres a really fast ferrari, but you can only drive down this road and do 20 kmh, (otherwise we take the keys away - but lets not tell him that now, we will surprise him later when he really needs the car, hehe)"

and hey if esat ever get their billing system working - since they signed everyone up to 3c per meg they can suddenly make buckets of money by charging 60 times what Magnet charge per gig(30euro vs 50cent)

now thats what I call competition in the market! No one will every figure that one out - sure look at the abuse the Irish take from banks.....

are there double agents working in esat who really work for Magnet?

why havent esat already offered me 8 meg on the same line?
    why havent they upped the cap from 30 gig instead of cutting people off?

are they trying to get rid of customers?
    are their workers doing too tired to cope?

Their behaviour beggers belief

Anyone else out there dumping esat?

The limit decreased?

I had a 2mb line and it had a limit of 24Gb now i have a 3mb line and it has a 30Gb limit.

One thing i will say, i have been with esat for well over a year and not once has it stopped working and i always get great speeds. :)

Advertisement