Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Cut off after cap pass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

They do that Dub45, well at least in my case anyway. I signed up over the phone and received a confirmation email with a link to the T&C's.
    https://esatbt.com/echannel/pageflows/OrderProduct/terms.jsp
    And it states the 2 options available to BT for exceeding the cap.
    It is also on their website in the "Help & Support" section.
    http://btireland.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btireland.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=203&p_created=1084880632&p_sid=X*NtjU1i&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTM2JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0yMjQsMjI3LDI0MiZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PTMuMjQyJnBfcGFnZT0z&p_li=&p_topview=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

is the 30 gig on option 3, 30 up and 30 down, or is one breakign the cap if u go 20 up and 12 down. if so they have reduced the cap, as u were allowed 16 up and 16 down previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

lomb,

I'll put it this way....if you download 29GB and upload 29GB.....U R A O K!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kaizersoze wrote:
    They do that Dub45, well at least in my case anyway. I signed up over the phone and received a confirmation email with a link to the T&C's.
    https://esatbt.com/echannel/pageflows/OrderProduct/terms.jsp
    And it states the 2 options available to BT for exceeding the cap.
    It is also on their website in the "Help & Support" section.
    http://btireland.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btireland.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=203&p_created=1084880632&p_sid=X*NtjU1i&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTM2JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0yMjQsMjI3LDI0MiZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PTMuMjQyJnBfcGFnZT0z&p_li=&p_topview=1

Well they have themselves pretty well covered there I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

jor el and sticker,

what package are you on? are you on the Plus package or the normal one?
    do you both go over it consistantly?

sticker what did u go over the cap by?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

lomb wrote:
    is the 30 gig on option 3, 30 up and 30 down, or is one breakign the cap if u go 20 up and 12 down. if so they have reduced the cap, as u were allowed 16 up and 16 down previously.
    30gb up 30gb down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

And here, in a question specifically about breaking the limit, there's no mention of being cut off. I've noticed they have several different answers to the same questions all over that FAQ.

Still, I got nothing from them either in post or email. My first bill was printed too as I hadn't setup for online billing yet and there was nothing with that, except the wrong charges.

vishal, I'm on BB+ and have gone over the cap a few times by varying amounts.

Have a look on oasis.gov.ie for some information about conditions in a service contract. Of note are the lines
    Terms in consumer contracts, however, must always be fair and clear to the consumer. Anyone involved in the contract should be clear about what their obligations are under the terms of the contract.
    and
    Consumers, when they buy goods and services are protected by The European Communities (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts) Regulations, 1995. This means that any term or implied term in a consumer contract that is found to be unfair to the consumer is null and void.
    Not notifying the customer of the terms could hardly be considered clear. Also, I'm sure many would consider charging €30 per gigabyte of data very unfair since it costs a tiny fraction of this to the ISP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

jor el wrote:
    I'm sure many would consider charging €30 per gigabyte of data very unfair since it costs a tiny fraction of this to the ISP.

****in hell 30 squid, and people say utv are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

BT have a terrible bandwidth calculator anyway, it's features are limited and it doesn't work for half of people. It doesn't even say if you'll be charged/cut off for breaking the limit, just "At your current rate of usage you are likely
    to go over your download limit in XX days". They should at least say there that they've introduced penalties for breaching the cap. Almost as if they don't care if people are cut off from the net for a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

hahha €30/Gb.. That's crazy.
    Last month would have cost me €1,200.

Thank god their not charging. I thank you esat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

bush wrote:
    ****in hell 30 squid, and people say utv are bad.
    UTV are the same I think. 3c per MB is €30 per GB.

Utv is 15 quid a gig, unless they increased it in the last while? I dunno, im on the unlimited package anyway so I couldnt care less anymore.

bush wrote:
    Utv is 15 quid a gig, unless they increased it in the last while? I dunno, im on the unlimited package anyway so I couldnt care less anymore.

How much have you downloaded so far this month???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

UTV allow you to set your account so that you can never exceed the cap. It automatically disconnects you. Or you can opt to monitor it yourself and pay per mb if you go over. you also get a warning email as you approach your limit.

I'm on the basic BT package. 20gb up and 20gb down, nobody can really complain if you go over. I used to get inaccurate stats on the monitor page but it all seems bang on now. Pity they don't have the automatic cut off functionality, I'd say this is why you get a warning first. I suppose its too much to ask of BT to get a warning BEFORE you break the limit instead of after.

zuma wrote:
    How much have you downloaded so far this month???

Incoming: 11343.2MB
    Outgoing: 912.2MB

bush wrote:
    Incoming: 11343.2MB
    Outgoing: 912.2MB

Try testing out this "unlimited" package and hit 30GB in the next 2 weeks and tell us if they lock you into a pipe with other heavy downloaders and you see your speed decreasing....as this is what some UK ISP's have done in the past!

zuma wrote:
    Try testing out this "unlimited" package and hit 30GB in the next 2 weeks and tell us if they lock you into a pipe with other heavy downloaders and you see your speed decreasing....as this is what some UK ISP's have done in the past!

Im doing all my downloading outside peak times so I should be ok, thats if they stick by there own fair usage policy. Id say im about up to 20 - 30 gigs already, not sure when that calculation was made.

bush wrote:
    Im doing all my downloading outside peak times so I should be ok, thats if they stick by there own fair usage policy. Id say im about up to 20 - 30 gigs already, not sure when that calculation was made.

I know it might backfire on you....but UTV said unlimited so I suggest you get your monies worth and hit 60GB+ and see what happens.

If they call you up/email/throttle/disconnect you make sure you contact IrelandOffline about it who would have no problem in telling everyone about your prediciment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I'd imagine they're gearing up to start charging. About time, IMO. 20GB is quite reasonable.

If they decide to start charging they will have to impliment a system of throttling to 100Kb or similar once you reach the CAP as a complete disconnection or €10 for each extra GB will not go down too popular with the vast majority of people!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

vishal wrote:
    jor el and sticker,

what package are you on? are you on the Plus package or the normal one?
    do you both go over it consistantly?

sticker what did u go over the cap by?

I'm on the plus package.. not 100% sure what I went over, but it was a hella lot... I've a shed load of upload and download...

I started this thread because I was saluting BT for not charging me for a serious infringement of cap agreement.

I just got my bill... and not a penny charged. I for one think this is pretty decent of them. I was taking the piss, and they had every legal right to sting me for it...

I agree though with a 3meg line 30gig isn't a large cap - still a whole lot more than €ircom...

sticker wrote:
    I agree though with a 3meg line 30gig isn't a large cap - still a whole lot more than €ircom...

30GB on a 3mbit line is silly....but eircom also have a 30GB CAP on their 3Mbit product but charge €15 a month more for the pleasure!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

zuma wrote:
    30GB on a 3mbit line is silly....but eircom also have a 30GB CAP on their 3Mbit product but charge €15 a month more for the pleasure!!!

Ultimately, the ISP does have to pay upstream charges on that... Eircom (and hence its resellers) is trying to create a sustainable service without serious contention problems, and they haven't done a horrible job of it. Tried using IBB, with their no-caps policy, lately?

As a matter of interest, has anyone passed the 30gig cap this month...?!!

I'm at 17gig... I wonder if there'll be an automatic cut-off now at 30?!

sticker wrote:
    As a matter of interest, has anyone passed the 30gig cap this month...?!!

I'm at 17gig... I wonder if there'll be an automatic cut-off now at 30?!
    I'm at 28.79Gb so far. Ha, I'll let you's know tomorrow.

Nice stats Blindpew

Blindpew wrote:

Holy sh!t....thats bonkers!!!!

Pron&Linux?????

Blindpew, What metering app are you using? - It looks different to the esat BT 3meg service window

Thats a SERIOUS amount of usage!! ...Were you cut off in Feb?

I'm as 17/18gig now and quite a little pissed with the usage (seems like I've been doing nothing!!!), I've actually been quite the good boy this month, but there's obviously a REAL concern that I could get cut for the month if I pass the 30gig mark...

I'd be great if BT were to give a statement, like only 50+ gig passers would raise an asterix on they're system...

kjt wrote:
    I'm at 28.79Gb so far. Ha, I'll let you's know tomorrow.

Cheers kjt!, ...we'll consider you the lab rat!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

sticker wrote:
    Blindpew, What metering app are you using? - It looks different to the esat BT 3meg service window

Thats a SERIOUS amount of usage!! ...Were you cut off in Feb?

I use a program called Bandwidth Monitor Pro available on most bit torrent sites.
    I was cut off at 23.50 on the 23rd of Feb but it came back on at 23.50 on the 24th which surprised me. That was the first time since I got the plus package over two years ago. That's why I think BT should now tell people that they are going to apply their rules of usage if they intend to. The wife would throw me out if I got billed for all that.

Advertisement