Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Cut off after cap pass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Blindpew wrote:
    sticker wrote:
    Blindpew, What metering app are you using? - It looks different to the esat BT 3meg service window

Thats a SERIOUS amount of usage!! ...Were you cut off in Feb?

I use a program called Bandwidth Monitor Pro available on most bit torrent sites.
    I was cut off at 23.50 on the 23rd of Feb but it came back on at 23.50 on the 24th which surprised me. That was the first time since I got the plus package over two years ago. That's why I think BT should now tell people that they are going to apply their rules of usage if they intend to. The wife would throw me out if I got billed for all that.

:D I agree... I just want to know how much room we have to move in terms of the cap... The trouble is of course that they may answer with a definitive 30gig... NOT GOOD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Blindpew wrote:

The evil side of me wants them to start charging retroactively, just to see the look on your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

sticker wrote:
    Blindpew wrote:

:D I agree... I just want to know how much room we have to move in terms of the cap... The trouble is of course that they may answer with a definitive 30gig... NOT GOOD!

Yea, having thought about it I think it may not be a great idea to be going on about it so much. I don't however think that they would put a definite statement on their website about imposing the cap as it would discourage people from signing up for their service. I remember getting a letter when I had the No Limits service about overuse telling me I was only to use it for 70 hours a month. I carried on regardless and heard no more about it.Maybe this will be the same. I'd say they ran a check after the speed increase to see how much people were going over. They may not run another untill the next speed increase.
    Now I must see if I can take down that picture that I put up of my usage unless they trace me. Living on the edge is not good for ones nerves.

Blindpew wrote:
    sticker wrote:

Yea, having thought about it I think it may not be a great idea to be going on about it so much. I don't however think that they would put a definite statement on their website about imposing the cap as it would discourage people from signing up for their service. I remember getting a letter when I had the No Limits service about overuse telling me I was only to use it for 70 hours a month. I carried on regardless and heard no more about it.Maybe this will be the same. I'd say they ran a check after the speed increase to see how much people were going over. They may not run another untill the next speed increase.
    Now I must see if I can take down that picture that I put up of my usage unless they trace me. Living on the edge is not good for ones nerves.

Might not be a bad idea... Thanks for sharing all the same!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

anyone go over there cap this month? I am at around 22GB down and just wana know much leeway do u have if any at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

34.40Gb so far this month :D
    No problems so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

kjt wrote:
    34.40Gb so far this month :D
    No problems so far.

Thats great news, its hard to restrain yourself to a measly 30gigs

haha yea tell me about it.
    I got to about 30.5 gb last night and when I went
    on the net for a second it wasn't loading. I got a bit
    of a fright.... 5seconds later it loaded
    ....Phew

kjt wrote:
    haha yea tell me about it.
    I got to about 30.5 gb last night and when I went
    on the net for a second it wasn't loading. I got a bit
    of a fright.... 5seconds later it loaded
    ....Phew

:D Good Stuff :D > Keep us updated willya?!!

Yup I shall, but I'm sure their's plenty more people
    out there that have dl'ed a lot more than myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

smemon wrote:
    dumeter it's not a freebie though, unless your me. ;)

nice little app i have to say, just sits hiding in the corner until i ask it to come to me. like a good dog. 60mb in 2 days for me, that must be a personal record. usually it'd be gb's.

Here's another one, but this is free to everyone ;)

BitMeter2 http://codebox.no-ip.net/controller?page=bitmeter2

Not a bad little toy. Does daily/weekly/monthly stats too. Needs .Net Framework 1.1

There's another one at http://readerror.gmxhome.de but it looks like development has stopped there.

My BT usage stats online haven't worked since September last year. Must give them a call...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I've been a good boy this month, only downloaded 13.91 GB so far.

BSG, 24 and Lost.. .and that's it.

I have withdrawal simptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Hey lads....please dont take the piss with this "testing" as the "first to 100GB" will piss off BT no end and they might make the 30GB hard coded in the future and there will be automatic disconnects.

Like many things in BT's Irish operation it will take forever for "automatic disconnection at the cap" to be implimented....but it wont help if people are rideing the system.

Personially a sensible CAP for 3MB should be around 60GB a month and 100Kbits thereafter...but NEVER disconnect people as it is VERY BAD for PR!!!!
    30GB is a joke IMHO!!!! esp since the 2Mbit package has only a fractionally smaller CAP!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

zuma wrote:
    Hey lads....please dont take the piss with this "testing" as the "first to 100GB" will piss off BT no end and they might make the 30GB hard coded in the future and there will be automatic disconnects.

Like many things in BT's Irish operation it will take forever for "automatic disconnection at the cap" to be implimented....but it wont help if people are rideing the system.

Personially a sensible CAP for 3MB should be around 60GB a month and 100Kbits thereafter...but NEVER disconnect people as it is VERY BAD for PR!!!!
    30GB is a joke IMHO!!!! esp since the 2Mbit package has only a fractionally smaller CAP!!!

A lousy crap billing system is also VERY BAD for PR but that has never bothered them:rolleyes:

zuma wrote:

I totally agree with you Zuma. I'm not trying to race to 100Gb
    or anything so sorry if it came across wrong. I just want to let
    people know that if your over the 30Gb that you probably won't
    get cut off, and letting them know I didn't. I agree with what
    your saying, a cap of 50/70Gb would be about right. I doubt
    many people would be giving out then and/or taking the piss
    with the cap and doubling it like I usually am. IMO 30Gb just
    isn't enough. Although if it did go up to 70Gb your always going
    to get people asking for more.
    Again, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They should do what Smart Telecom do, no cap but have a fair use polciy in place. If you're doing the dog on it each month, like 150-200G then they contact you and say calm down or face disconnection. But if you're anywhere under 100G I'd imagine it should be OK. I don't know where Smart's fair use numbers lie, but I'd imagine they wouldn't crib at 70-80G downloaded, especially at the available 3-5Mbps download speeds.

I'm watching my BT limit quite carefully this month, and should be at 30G at the end of the month. Then it's off the Smart in June for me. Bloody BT never replied to my query on my contract and terms and conditions.

Whats BT's current policy in the UK?

The last I heard they were going to charge a relativately small amount per a Gb once you hit 40GB or so.....their max connection until recently I think for Home users was 2Mbit.
    Now I think its a max of 8Mbit with NO CAP!!!
    Am I right in the above assesment?

Once they start charging for CAP breaches like UTV.....its WAR! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

If one went into a taxi office that advertised a high speed taxi service with bus corridor access for a fixed price and you wanted to travel 15 miles but the driver told you to get out and walk after three it wouldn't be acceptable to anybody. Yet we seem to accept the idea of a cap on broadband access. To me a cap of any sort will never be acceptable. If they want to charge more for an uncapped service so be it, I'll pay it. But not 30 euro a gb when it only costs 5 cents to provide it. It's time we had a proper broadband service in this country. At the moment it's like being told to go home after three drinks when you want to get pissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Blindpew wrote:
    If one went into a taxi office that advertised a high speed taxi service with bus corridor access for a fixed price and you wanted to travel 15 miles but the driver told you to get out and walk after three it wouldn't be acceptable to anybody.
    But that would imply that BT offer an unlimited service, which they don't.
    If the taxi company included in their advertisment that their offer only covered you for 3 miles then the taxi driver would have every right to toss you out when you reached that limit.

As I said before, I started this thread as a mild salute to BT not billing me for my cap infringement... and to start a talkback on the issue. Since they haven't actually charged a SINGLE USER for heading over the cap, I think it's nothing short of alarmist to suddenly threaten "WAR" on them... I for one have NO PROBLEM being shut down if I renage on a terms and conditions I signed on for. I agree that the cap is low, but seeing as they are letting a lot of users breech it within reason let's cut them a little slack... I would probably do then same. If they raised the cap to 80gig, we'd moan about a 100gig cutoff or fine!

I think we need to keep some perspective...

For what it's worth, they've been very proferssional with me so far, ...I'm going to extend them the same courtesy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Blindpew wrote:
    If one went into a taxi office that advertised a high speed taxi service with bus corridor access for a fixed price and you wanted to travel 15 miles but the driver told you to get out and walk after three it wouldn't be acceptable to anybody. Yet we seem to accept the idea of a cap on broadband access. To me a cap of any sort will never be acceptable. If they want to charge more for an uncapped service so be it, I'll pay it. But not 30 euro a gb when it only costs 5 cents to provide it. It's time we had a proper broadband service in this country. At the moment it's like being told to go home after three drinks when you want to get pissed.

Such a taxi service does not exist. BT does not advertise unlimited download. Remember that bandwidth costs the ISP money, too.

I've accidently stepped over the cap line...oops!

...fingers crossed! I'm gonna be an extra special good boy for the next fortnight. I hope (as stated in this thread) that BT unofficially see a 50gig download as not overly excessive!! - Not that I'd download that every month, but 30gig CAN be reached qute easily with a 3meg line fairly early in a month's web activity...

sticker wrote:

...fingers crossed! I'm gonna be an extra special good boy for the next fortnight. I hope (as stated in this thread) that BT unofficially see a 50gig download as not overly excessive!! - Not that I'd download that every month, but 30gig CAN be reached qute easily with a 3meg line fairly early in a month's web activity...

(BT BAN sticker and ban him now....hahaha!!!)^infinity!

If you do a hard reboot on your router and find you cant reconnect, what will you do for the next 2 weeks?

sticker wrote:

lol Have a cup of tea and relax dudey :-D
    I'm up to 40gb and not much problems. In saying that though
    I'm not going to tempt faith. I might just leave my Uncle Torrent alone for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kjt wrote:
    lol Have a cup of tea and relax dudey :-D
    I'm up to 40gb and not much problems. In saying that though
    I'm not going to tempt faith. I might just leave my Uncle Torrent alone for a while.
    Sure you must have the entire internet downloaded by now.
    Soon you won't have to go online at all.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I hope you get overcharged for every cent!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

BT imo are the best broadband ISP available, i have never had any problems with them

Just crawled outta bed, fixed myself an industrial cuppa coffee and started up the awl system... Web unresponsive.

For those living in Clonee, you probably heard a banshee-like wail about 8am > that'd be me. Re-booted the router > I'm back...

I was CONVINCED the umbilical had been cut!! Good BT, good BT...

Although, In fairness, I haven't hit 30gig yet... I'm at 27! The BT meter IS SHOWING 'exceed cap' message though > at 27gig?!

Do we want to start posting 'reasonable cap levels for mid month usage?' > I think a lot of us agree that 30gig for 3meg is a little low, so will we say post 50 and below...?! As a once off experiment only of course... No point posting HUGE CAP excesses... might motivate all of us to take the awl piss...

Would it be an idea (SERIOUSLY) to ring BT and ask them if it's an automatic overcharge for cap infringement of just a cut off?!

I don't think I've been overly takin the piss this month... but I'm already over the line... but I don't wanna just plod on when the webs there, and get a whopper bill next month.

...Seting aside the haha's, what do you guys seriously think?

...Am I on my own? anyone else reading a 'exceed cap message'...?!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I got the exceeded downloads message after 3 days by hitting 26 gig downloaded. I've stopped talking to my uncle in the states so much since and am now modestly over at 31gig, I'll be needing to talk to him again when Lost, House, Smallville etc etc are back so have a mental limit of about 40gig for March

Advertisement