Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Cut off after cap pass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Skyuser wrote:
    People like you that slow down speeds.

Nah the exchange I'm on isn't that busy and I always get the max speed out of it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

sticker wrote:
    Would it be an idea (SERIOUSLY) to ring BT and ask them if it's an automatic overcharge for cap infringement of just a cut off?!

Are you mad Sticker? You might as well go out with a pliers and climb up the telegraph pole and cut your own phone line.
    A friend of mine was telling me yesterday that he's a 100gb over the cap at the moment and hasn't had money in his account since Christmas for direct debit payment. He recieved a bill by post but hasn't paid it yet. He said he might pay off 20 euro this month. If ye are only exceeding the cap by the small amounts ye are saying I don't think ye need worry too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Blindpew wrote:
    sticker wrote:
    Would it be an idea (SERIOUSLY) to ring BT and ask them if it's an automatic overcharge for cap infringement of just a cut off?!

Are you mad Sticker? You might as well go out with a pliers and climb up the telegraph pole and cut your own phone line.
    A friend of mine was telling me yesterday that he's a 100gb over the cap at the moment and hasn't had money in his account since Christmas for direct debit payment. He recieved a bill by post but hasn't paid it yet. He said he might pay off 20 euro this month. If ye are only exceeding the cap by the small amounts ye are saying I don't think ye need worry too much.

OK - cheers Blindpew, apologies for the melodrama! It's just with what BT are charging for cap excess, it could hypothetically be a HUGE F'in Bill!!

I agree though, I don't think it's in BT's interest to start charging people for mild spraining of the cap... There'll always be another company in the wings offering a higher cap and it's bad for PR.

In saying that, I'm goona rethink my downloads now, hopefully under 50gig won't register on the BT radar!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If you cannot face the possible consequences just don't do it. :D

Sponge Bob wrote:
    If you cannot face the possible consequences just don't do it. :D

lol maybe you're right!! ...But you can't tell me you haven't had high cap months mate...!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You have been around a while sticker so I'm pretty sure you have seen this card played before in this sort of thread :D

warezmonkey.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Skyuser wrote:
    I hope you get overcharged for every cent!!
    I hope you have a great day and arent such a díck in real life :)

Sponge Bob wrote:
    You have been around a while sticker so I'm pretty sure you have seen this card played before in this sort of thread :D

warezmonkey.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

kjt wrote:
    I hope you have a great day and arent such a díck in real life :)
    I'm a dick? Your the one abusing the service and slowing down other peoples speed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

100gb dl a month? Bah! Don't believe it for a second.

• Advertisement

Skyuser wrote:
    I'm a dick?
    I agree with you!

I'm hardly slowing eveybody down. If I seriously was I
    would have been charged/cut off by now. 70gb a month is the
    most I've downloaded. The cap is too low for the 3mb line. Look
    anywhere in the world, I bet nowhere else has any type of a cap
    close to this, if even their is a cap at all.
    Get real, its just another example of Rip off Ireland!

EDIT: I've just totted up my past 11months downloads and gotten my average.
    33.2Gb a month. I don't think that is over excessive downloading.

Skyuser wrote:
    I'm a dick? Your the one abusing the service and slowing down other peoples speed!!

I don't think use of this nature effects other users in fairness, If there was a threat to it's clients, BT would be far more ruthless...

Skyuser wrote:

I find that even if I have 10 torrents downloading, using nearly all my bandwidth, I can still access web pages and e-mail with no problem. Now unless they have laid a special pipe just for me I think the whole contention ratio thing is a load of nonsense. Surely at some stage some of the people that I contend for bandwidth with must be online and yet I can always get max speed. Why don't they slow me down? If you are getting slow speeds Sky you may need to upgrage your system or get rid of some addware.

Blindpew wrote:
    I find that even if I have 10 torrents downloading, using nearly all my bandwidth, I can still access web pages and e-mail with no problem. Now unless they have laid a special pipe just for me I think the whole contention ratio thing is a load of nonsense. Surely at some stage some of the people that I contend for bandwidth with must be online and yet I can always get max speed. Why don't they slow me down? If you are getting slow speeds Sky you may need to upgrage your system or get rid of some addware.

...I couldn't agree more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Blindpew wrote:
    If you are getting slow speeds Sky you may need to upgrage your system or get rid of some addware.
    No no, my speeds are uber fast. I'm on a quite exchange. I just don't like people who abuse it.

Skyuser wrote:
    No no, my speeds are uber fast. I'm on a quite exchange. I just don't like people who abuse it.

Ah come on now Sky, it's hardly a major abuse situation. It's only bit's of digital information that BT are trying to keep on us. Sure they have loads of it. It's not like we're breaking into church's stealing all the communion before mass on a Sunday, interferring with peoples salvation. If Eircom would give the phone lines back to the people of Ireland, who paid for them in the first place, there would be no need for this monthly theft of BTs bandwidth.
    Try and keep a perspective, we're decent people, there is no reason for you not to like us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Blindpew wrote:

Which exchange are you on?

rsynnott wrote:
    Which exchange are you on?
    Aka a bit more information so I can hunt you down lol

Only jking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The problem with the caps is they don't reflect the strain on the system. Bandwidth costs are getting cheaper by the day and BT charging what they do is robbery. An exchange is not going to feel the hit it once did because of heavy downloading, but yet they only allow you to download a little more each year even though the costs are probably halving each time.

I'd say BT could handle much more than 30 gigs per person, probably even 10 times that amount but they want to keep a strangle hold in order to make more profit. Obscene profit. There is no great shortage of bandwidth, only greed by the people who provide it. Some people are really over-reacting with their "I hope you get charged every penny" especially since it probably has never affected them (and probably never will)

Giblet wrote:
    The problem with the caps is they don't reflect the strain on the system. Bandwidth costs are getting cheaper by the day and BT charging what they do is robbery. An exchange is not going to feel the hit it once did because of heavy downloading, but yet they only allow you to download a little more each year even though the costs are probably halving each time.

I'd say BT could handle much more than 30 gigs per person, probably even 10 times that amount but they want to keep a strangle hold in order to make more profit. Obscene profit. There is no great shortage of bandwidth, only greed by the people who provide it. Some people are really over-reacting with their "I hope you get charged every penny" especially since it probably has never affected them (and probably never will)

As I said before, to the best of my knowledge, BT HAVE NOT charged anyone for cap breech... some of us have been cut in Feb for a few days, but thats the extent of their action... Lets not get the posse together just yet...

But I agree with you this whole judgemental bull from some is pretty petty. I'm sure a lot of the mud slingers have had their fair share of heavy months (in the downlaod sence)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

sticker wrote:
    As I said before, to the best of my knowledge, BT HAVE NOT charged anyone for cap breech... some of us have been cut in Feb for a few days, but thats the extent of their action... Lets not get the posse together just yet...

I would have assumed that that cut-off was your warning.

rsynnott wrote:
    I would have assumed that that cut-off was your warning.

Maybe so, but until they bill me I don't see any point in jumping all over their practices & policies...

In the event that they do, I'll be the first to start chuckin' rocks :D

What I find interesting is that a lot of people here are being judgemental on the issue... Not necessarily you rsynnott, but others, and with a 3meg download and a wealth of media out there, surely the majority of people are breeching or closely approaching the cap.

Also, BT have my limit as exceeded, it's showing 28gig download / 10 gig upload... How have I breeched?! I'm assuming it's the upload figure! Anyone know what BT's upload limit is...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

sticker wrote:
    I'm assuming it's the upload figure! Anyone know what BT's upload limit is...?

30 up and 30 down is my understanding

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

they haven't updated their stats page since the traffic increases last month

RuggieBear wrote:
    30 up and 30 down is my understanding

so why am I showing an exceed cap then...? It was lower this month for me (it was working)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Because they have simply not updated their BB usage counter.

Willem D wrote:
    Because they have simply not updated their BB usage counter.

You would think it's an automated service... on a daily basis (my stats are that of a few days old)

sticker wrote:
    so why am I showing an exceed cap then...? It was lower this month for me (it was working)

They're probably just assuming that you're going to go over the limit based on past performance.
    To be honest I havn't logged in to check my usage on their site for over a year. I used to find it very stressful to see all the gigabytes mounting up each month. Life is hard enough with out having their incorrect statistics starring you in the face each morning.
    One tip though, if you do use their usage calculator, is to turn off the router before midnight on the last day of each month and maybe reboot the pc. Otherwise all your usage since the previous log off will carry into the next month.

Blindpew wrote:
    They're probably just assuming that you're going to go over the limit based on past performance.
    To be honest I havn't logged in to check my usage on their site for over a year. I used to find it very stressful to see all the gigabytes mounting up each month. Life is hard enough with out having their incorrect statistics starring you in the face each morning.
    One tip though, if you do use their usage calculator, is to turn off the router before midnight on the last day of each month and maybe reboot the pc. Otherwise all your usage since the previous log off will carry into the next month.

Cheers for the advice... without sounding too melodramatic, It is a little stressfull checking in (espicially with how fast the cap can be reached)

If they're system is somewhat unrelyable, how can they label my account 'cap reached' before it actually has...?! It's a little unfair.

Unless of course the upload cap is less and I've breeched that. I can't seem to find any reference to it on BT's site... Just a mention of a '30gig cap'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Look a little harder:p
    http://btireland.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btireland.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=203&p_created=1084880632&p_sid=eGO7bK2i&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTM2JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0yMjQsMjI3LDI0MiZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PTMuMjQyJnBfcGFnZT0z&p_li=&p_topview=1
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]You are entitled to a free transfer limit of up to 30 Gigabytes of data in any given month.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3cent inc VAT per MB).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]You will be entitled to use 30GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload 30GB and download 30GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB and download 31GB then your account will be suspended.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]This data allowance is calculated at the end of every 24 hrs and if you are consistently above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your account during the first month you go over it.[/FONT]

Advertisement