Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Cut off after cap pass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Blindpew wrote:
    You see, even the days have caps on them. 24 hours is not enough, there should be 30 hours in a day. As soon as we get the BT cap business sorted out we should start looking for longer days.
    Interesting concept. I think you have a better chance of longer days than a 300gb cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I was just on to BT regarding a billing question... afterwards I discussed the cap situation, she told me BT will cut off people BEFORE billing them for cap breech.

She has never heard of a customer being charged for cap breech and her thoughts were it would never happen - bad PR.

I don't think this means we should take the piss with the cap, I'm just over mine this month, but it takes a little stress out of opening the next BT bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

sticker wrote:
    I was just on to BT regarding a billing question... afterwards I discussed the cap situation, she told me BT will cut off people BEFORE billing them for cap breech.

She has never heard of a customer being charged for cap breech and her thoughts were it would never happen - bad PR.

I don't think this means we should take the piss with the cap, I'm just over mine this month, but it takes a little stress out of opening the next BT bill.

You should never open any envelopes that carry the BT logo Sticker, just throw them straight into the fire. For all you know they could be threatening letters. You don't need that kind of stress. As it's direct debit just leave them take what they want and to hell with it. Besides I hear NTL are upgrading to 6mb download speed so BT won't want to lose us. If the cap doesn't fit throw it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

it's fair enough that they have this tbh, the network was crippled just a few weeks ago so perhaps limiting downloading would make it easier for all to use the net efficiently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Blindpew wrote:
    You should never open any envelopes that carry the BT logo Sticker, just throw them straight into the fire. For all you know they could be threatening letters. You don't need that kind of stress. As it's direct debit just leave them take what they want and to hell with it. Besides I hear NTL are upgrading to 6mb download speed so BT won't want to lose us. If the cap doesn't fit throw it out.

Actually, I'd say BT might be quite happy to lose the rather small minority who go over the cap a lot.

• Advertisement

rsynnott wrote:
    Actually, I'd say BT might be quite happy to lose the rather small minority who go over the cap a lot.

If it wern't for people going over the cap BT would still think that 8gb a month was adaquate. People should be constantly complaining about it and breaking it, instead of accepting what they decide to give us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Blindpew wrote:
    If it wern't for people going over the cap BT would still think that 8gb a month was adaquate. People should be constantly complaining about it and breaking it, instead of accepting what they decide to give us.

..........pushing the boundaries for the good of all!!!

Blindpew wrote:

:D The trailblaizer Blindpew >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/23/bt_hogs/

BT UK's view on all this. Note the links at the bottom, actually; it's not just here that this is an issue.
    Tiscali UK has expelled "just over 500" broadband users for excessive use of the ISP's high-speed internet service. Those who've received their marching orders are being given the opportunity to leave Tiscali "without penalty.
    The ISP says the bandwidth "hogs" have gorged on between 30 Gig and 150 Gig a month. At the same time, the average Tiscali UK punter uses less than a Gig a month.

They also put their highest-usage customers in a given exchange contending with one another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Good!...with all the people on this thread admitting to going over their caps in a big way it would be nice for BT and others to take down details and cut these folks off!

Hogs hurt everyone, hogs take bandwidth away from users who only download very average amounts of data per month and affect there download speeds.

So i say hit the hogs where it hurts, kick 'em to the curb!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

The average in Ireland must be around 1GB a month as well....but they must realise that the average person hasnt the slighest clue of how the internet works!!!

Its a shame there isnt more "legitimate" uses of using the CAP with the exception of Linux and other GPL material of course!!!

I dont view using 30GB a month as gorging myself!!!!

Good!...with all the people on this thread admitting to going over their caps in a big way it would be nice for BT and others to take down details and cut these folks off!

Hogs hurt everyone, hogs take bandwidth away from users who only download very average amounts of data per month and affect there download speeds.

So i say hit the hogs where it hurts, kick 'em to the curb!

Thats a bit excessive mate...

I agree with Zuma, 30gig is not a towering amount in my opinion.

1 gig would probably apply to people browsing every few days, booking flights and the like...

A lot of people out there use Videocams / Gaming / legit video+audio downloads / streaming radio + TV

Don't be so quick to judge.

With a 3meg line, usage can mount up.

I use the internet a LOT. I typically use between 4 and 8gb a month...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

rsynnott wrote:
    I use the internet a LOT. I typically use between 4 and 8gb a month...

I have a VPN to work.
    I Use xBox Live on my 360.
    I download trailers, demo's etc for it.
    I use webcam / skype for my calls.
    I touch the odd torrent.

But i never touch my cap.
    So even an advanced user never uses the full cap.
    As i posted in the other thread - if you need a bigger cap your either a business or an illegal downloader.

rsynnott wrote:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/23/bt_hogs/

BT UK's view on all this. Note the links at the bottom, actually; it's not just here that this is an issue.

They also put their highest-usage customers in a given exchange contending with one another.

I wouldn't blame any provider for cutting a 100+gig a month user. That is obviously super-torrent overkill!

We can debate caps back and forth, and I for one feel a talk back for and against a larger cap is healthy.

But users like that SHOULD be targetted. No arguement. Especially after being warned for excessive usage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I agree i think the cap should be bigger as well, but 50gb should easily do people, i don't know why you guys go on about BT though, they are the best broadband service out there at the mo

I agree i think the cap should be bigger as well, but 50gb should easily do people, i don't know why you guys go on about BT though, they are the best broadband service out there at the mo

I agree...

...and I try to return to that point the second the negative melodrama hits! I'm quite happy with BT atm.

I can't understand what people who claim to only use 1gb a month of their bandwidth are doing writing in a thread about breaking caps. In my opinion these people should only be given dial up access. Or else they should all be grouped together on one line where they can ping one another to their hearts content and allow people with more imagination to use the internet to it's full potential. These people only want it to boast to the neighbours, "Oh we have broadband but we're much too intelligent to use it, we only check the stockmarket and book our five holidays a year with it". Sure they don't need computers at all, they could write down all that's in their heads on the back of a cigarette box.

Blindpew wrote:
    I can't understand what people who claim to only use 1gb a month of their bandwidth are doing writing in a thread about breaking caps. In my opinion these people should only be given dial up access. Or else they should all be grouped together on one line where they can ping one another to their hearts content and allow people with more imagination to use the internet to it's full potential. These people only want it to boast to the neighbours, "Oh we have broadband but we're much too intelligent to use it, we only check the stockmarket and book our five holidays a year with it". Sure they don't need computers at all, they could write down all that's in their heads on the back of a cigarette box.

Breaking bandwidth caps is of interest to sensible users because, especially in congested areas, it affects their usage. I don't want my connection to grind to a halt because my neighbour can't imagine life without a few hundred hours of illegal TV downloads a month.

And what are these 'imaginative' uses of which you speak?

Congestion is the problem in Dublin and always will be, be it on the roads or online. It's caused by too many people living in one place and trying to do the same things at the same time. I would suggest that if no one in your area ever exceeded an internet cap that you would still have problems due to weight of numbers. You should be blaming the ISPs and the government for poor infrastructure not the people that are brave enough to one step beyond the cap. Alternatively you could move to Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

Blindpew wrote:
    brave enough to one step beyond the cap.

With youre reference to roads i dare compare your cap to a Speed Limit on the roads. Breaking that isnt "brave" its stupid and gets u penalty points.

Maybe ISP's could introduce penalty points for BB users. :D

Blindpew wrote:
    Congestion is the problem in Dublin and always will be, be it on the roads or online. It's caused by too many people living in one place and trying to do the same things at the same time. I would suggest that if no one in your area ever exceeded an internet cap that you would still have problems due to weight of numbers. You should be blaming the ISPs and the government for poor infrastructure not the people that are brave enough to one step beyond the cap. Alternatively you could move to Waterford.

So you think that ridiculous use of the internet has no effect on traffic? How do you figure that? Honestly, you're just making excuses.

And actually expecting praise for breaking your cap is a bit like a fat person expecting praise for eating too much cake.

Any cap breechers get cutoff again for month end...?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Merli

I went 6 or 7 GB over my 20 GB cap. No loss of service.
    Fair play BT...as long as you don't hit me with a bill for 30Euro per additional GB. I'm assuming this is highly unlikely and I plan on going over my cap by no more than 10 GB from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I downloaded 57.92Gb last month and uploaded 6.81.
    So far this months I've 20.70Gb down and 2.58 up.
    Good awl BT :)

My online meter is showing zeros today...

I've been away for a few days and wanted to check my usage with BT. I haven't checked my ups/downs this month up to today.

Anyone else showing 'no traffic' for May?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

my total last month was 40gigs up and down. (twice my limit)

im on 10gb for may atm. roughly 1 gig per day. not too bad. mainly cuz my 100gb HD is bursting at the seems and im waiting on an external one to offload.

then i can get back to normal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I'm at 18 GB this month so far. Ah the joys of utv unlimited.

I've NO READINGS whatsoever! zeros accross the board!

I've no idea what I've downloaded!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

yeah actually my monitor is reading zeros all the way too, and has been since the latter half of last year. I mailed BT twice about it but never got a reply. and the thing is i actually want to keep an eye to make sure not to go over my limit! I have just now submitted a question on their website to see if that'll get me a response. I dont like the idea of not knowing if you go over the cap - I know BT have been decent about people going over but if some day they decide to be dicks about it you would not really have a leg to stand on if they charged you 30 quid per GB over...

Advertisement