Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Cut off after cap pass

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Puteq wrote:
    yeah actually my monitor is reading zeros all the way too, and has been since the latter half of last year. I mailed BT twice about it but never got a reply. and the thing is i actually want to keep an eye to make sure not to go over my limit! I have just now submitted a question on their website to see if that'll get me a response. I dont like the idea of not knowing if you go over the cap - I know BT have been decent about people going over but if some day they decide to be dicks about it you would not really have a leg to stand on if they charged you 30 quid per GB over...

I think if they did decide to be awkward down the road, they'd have a job giving us grief since the service they provide to track the usage is not working for us...

I'm saving and dating my zero'd web pages with Firefox.

But I've always said I've been happy with BT's philosophy on the cap - hope it continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thats good news because between myself and my sister we've downloaded about 15 gigs in a few days. What the hell is the cap anyway? :confused:

I'm on a basic 1mb line but I'm getting speeds of 200kb/s no problem with downloading.

If my BB were cut off, I'd die....:D

HavoK wrote:
    Thats good news because between myself and my sister we've downloaded about 15 gigs in a few days. What the hell is the cap anyway? :confused:

I'm on a basic 1mb line but I'm getting speeds of 200kb/s no problem with downloading.

If my BB were cut off, I'd die....:D

BT Option 3 - 3 meg line (my package with BT) > Cap: 30gig up or down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

sticker wrote:
    Cap: 30gig up or down
    Up and down.

Havok, it's 10G on yours so you're already over by 50%.

jor el wrote:
    Up and down.

I could be wrong but I thought it was up or down - breech the 30gig upload or download and it's limit reached...

But hey it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

sticker wrote:
    I restarted my PC & router this morning.... thus refreshing my info > this is my BT usage as of today:

bt.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm within the cap...?! The meter is showing a cap over for the past week!

Also, if I'm reading the terms and conditions correctly, BT suggest here they'll suspend any cap breech, so they couldn't really let you go on beyond the cap for a couple of months and then sting you for a WHOPPER bill.

I don't think they're being unfair, it's just a little confusing!

Perhaps their interpreting 1million bytes as a GB, that would put you slightly over the cap by those figures. Just a thought.

Can anyone tell me if BT are actually cutting people off for going over the cap still or was that just in March. On the 1mb package & have a gb left. Dont want to use that if it means doing without the net for the next week and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

After gigabytes of downloading, my bt meter has frozen. Good or bad?

jor el wrote:
    Up and down.

Well...****. :eek:

Just checked my usage - 12gigs down and 8gigs up. It says however, you will exceed cap in 10 days if you continue at this usage....so the cap must be 20gigs?

Anyone know how much bandwith games take up? I play battlefield 2 an average of 3 hours a night...!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

HavoK wrote:
    Well...****. :eek:

Just checked my usage - 12gigs down and 8gigs up. It says however, you will exceed cap in 10 days if you continue at this usage....so the cap must be 20gigs?

Anyone know how much bandwith games take up? I play battlefield 2 an average of 3 hours a night...!!
    From the BT support site:
    You will be entitled to use 20GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload 20GB and download 20GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB and download 21GB then your account will be suspended.

Thanks for that....anyone help out with the gaming issue? I downloaded some pretty huge torrents the last few days alright but I don't need anything else, so the other 8-ish gigs will be dedicated to gaming...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

i'm on the 2mb package with BT, thats a 20gb up and down, i've downloaded 27gb this month but they rekon i'll go over my cap in 2 days???

usage0lr.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

Blindpew wrote:
    If one went into a taxi office that advertised a high speed taxi service with bus corridor access for a fixed price and you wanted to travel 15 miles but the driver told you to get out and walk after three it wouldn't be acceptable to anybody. Yet we seem to accept the idea of a cap on broadband access. To me a cap of any sort will never be acceptable. If they want to charge more for an uncapped service so be it, I'll pay it. But not 30 euro a gb when it only costs 5 cents to provide it. It's time we had a proper broadband service in this country. At the moment it's like being told to go home after three drinks when you want to get pissed.

its like your girlfriend telling you that you can sleep naked together but can only touch her tits, ..ever!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

i sent a mail to bt through their "log a fault" option on their website about my DL meter not working....had a call back the next evening...issue sorted

i asked yerman what the story was with going over the cap....he rekoned once you weren't takin the piss you'd be grand.....next they cut you off till the end of the month.....if you consistently break the cap, theres a possibility of losing the service....fairly blurry i know.....but basically if you don't take the piss, i'd say you're all right

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭P1erce

Ive been reading the thread and i find it very interesting.

3mbit broadband, can and will do 1.14GB an hour no problem. It will even go at full speed and you can still surf the internet like nothing was happening.

Im an IT student and also a WebDesigner. I have about 10 domains, in which are all privately hosted by me on my own server in texas. That server is a 100mbit connection, with a 1500GB cap, leased hardware and leased space, it comes to $150 a month. Now, as bt broadband is half the price, i wish i could get a 50mbit connection with a 750GB cap, that would be sweet.

We live backwards here, for less you can get FIOS from Verison in the states, for $50 a month. Which is a 15mbit connection with 3mbit up. NO bandwidth caps or bandwidth fair usage. They assume if you buy a connection like that your going to use it!!

I looked up the BT.co.uk site, and the myth i seen about 8mbit unmetered is false. Its 8mbit with a 40GB cap, which could be destroyed in about 11 hours 20 minutes.

I find that isps think the less than 1GB a month is avg usage a joke. For example, legitmatly streaming 192kbps radio for 10 mintues is 35.50mb alone. Windows update avg 10mb a month. Games on steam 200mb. Surfing, well you could surf on bebo and myspace all day long and rack up maybe 40mb a day, but well say your not an addict and you do this once weekly. Check email every 10 minutes 10kb avg. IRC 30MB a month. Instant messengers 3x30Mb a month = 90mb. Webcam and skype usage, 6KB/s up and down, avg usage a month lets say 15 hours is 316MB. We wont include video. Online gaming 1hour a day, at 10KB up and down 1GB. And well say 10hours a month of high quality music radio 1.8GB.

Total 3450GB

Theres a lot lacking from that list, mp3 downloads www.allofmp3.com is a great place to get legit for less, game demos, movie trailers general surfing, torrenting, usenetting, etc etc. It all adds up. Its a freakish ammout of information. And lets not forget video.google.com, or youtube.com, admit it, you could spend your whole life watching stuff off thoes sites.

In the states, there is no such thing as a bandwidth cap, and they will be elimiinated here eventually, as movie studioes put pressure on them as they want to distribute legit content on bittorent which is up and down, and its not going to be popular if we the user with a cap has to pay twice for the same content.

As for bandwidth hogs on 24/7. well the 3mbit is a 1/24 contention, as is the 2mbit which is 1.48 contention. Also have you seen the map of broadband in ireland? Theres a fiber optic man around any large town. Cripes in the states they dont even have that. We have more bandwidth within ireland than we have access to the rest of the world.

Also remember its cheaper to download than to upload. If you upload, your providing content and pay for that preimum bandwidth, if your a home user, your preimium bandwidth is the download, not the upload, which is the cheaper of the 2. And even though upload and download is semantics, there are politics to the cost of the direction.

Just my thoughts on it all.

Pierce

Some interesting points Pierce - Cheers for the input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

P1erce wrote:
    We live backwards here, for less you can get FIOS from Verison in the states, for $50 a month. Which is a 15mbit connection with 3mbit up. NO bandwidth caps or bandwidth fair usage. They assume if you buy a connection like that your going to use it!!
    FIOS is available to a tiny percentage of Verizons customers today. It will be years before it is widely available. NTLs cable reaches a far higher proportion of the Irish market today than Verizons FIOS will reach US broadband users at any time in the next 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭P1erce

Ive met more people than i can count on 2 hands that have FIOS. But lets forget FIOS. Cable in the states is going up to 100mbits in some areas, which is advailable to a huge ammount of customers.

Pierce

Advertisement