Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys WT54GS cannot establish internet conn

Options
  • 03-03-2006 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Hi there.I hope someone can help me out. I recently procured a Linsys WT54GS router. unfortunately im having problems. I cannot establish an internet connection with it. I have set it up correctly (hardware wise), and have plugged my ethernet cable from the internet port on the router into the back of my modem ethernet port.I have plugged another cable from my pc ethernet port into port 1 (of 4) in the router.I have looked at the front of the router and the power light is illuminated along with the internet light and the port 1 light.I dont think there is a hardware problem.

I purchase my broadband from Esat BT.
    On the software side of things, the ip assigned to my router is (Lets say!) 999.999.999.1. The default gateway is the same address as my router. I can also ping my router at the mentioned ip address.The router is set to Automatic (DHCP) and i have not supplied a host name and domain, as i dont recall being given one by my ISP.

Now my modem is a Prestige ZyXEL prestige 600.I ran the ipconfig /all command and it is set to DHCP by default.When i have my pc connected to the router via ethernet and the router connected to my modem, the only 2 lights that are inactive on the modem are the USB (which should be) and the DSL / Active <- which should not be.Can anyone help me out?Lets imagine that i have set nothing in my router settings.Im unsure what to set.
    Many Thanks,
    Shamrock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

You harely need crossover between the modem and router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Like a crossover cable?I wouldnt image what good that would do.
    regards
    shamrock

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Simple solution.

You have 2 routers talking atm telling each other what to do.
    This will never work.

Connect to the BT Zyxel directly.
    Enter its config page (192.168.1.1)
    Click wizard setup.
    On that page change the Mode option from "Routing" to "Bridged".
    Just save these settings.

This makes it a "modem" which should then be connected to your WAN port on your router. Then setup a PPPoE connection on it with ur user/pass for BB and away u go!

OKely dokely neighbourinho.ill give it a go.forgot my username and password for the modem.ill have to check that out.watch this space.thanks for the help.regards.
    Shamrock

ok, that worked!Many thanks for that.I wasnt even aware that my modem is a modem/router. turns out it is a prestige 600, i was originally posting from work. Can you explain why this worked?And why use PPPoE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hope I get this right...

Imagine your BT modem is split in half...WAN & LAN. WAN is public/internet half, LAN is your private network.

When your BT modem is in normal operation without the linksys, the modem gets a public IP address from BT. This comes in on the phone line WAN socket. The modem then gives out private LAN IP addresses to your PCs which happens on the RJ45 LAN sockets. Happy days!

Now introduce the linksys...

As Diabolus rightly said, change the mode of the BT modem to bridge mode. Essentially what this does is, it links/bridges the IP on the WAN port to the LA N port. So instead of the modem being in two halves, it is now ONE! Instead of private addresses, it is now giving a public IP address on the LAN port.

To get your linksys config'd, you must imagine your BT modem as being just a modem and not a router while in bridge mode. You must set up a PPPoE connection because this is what the linksys is expecting and NOT a private address, even though you have connected the LAN port of the modem to the Internet port of the linksys.

Hope this made sense!!! Maybe the diagram will help. MS Paint at my best

Your a gent.Thank you for that.More to it than meets the eye. I have norton installed on my machine, will this suffice or are there any more settings i need to make for my router to be more secure?If i recall i should set it so that the maximum number of connections is limited, no?
    thanks again mate,
    Shamrock

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

If I am right in saying second time round, all ports will be blocked unless you initiate a request, such as a website. Port 80 will then be opened and so on.

There are online leak tests to test how secure the firewall in your router is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,853 ✭✭✭SeanW

Hey guys. I got some news.

That business about using the ZyXEL Presige 623R-T1 in bridge mode does work, but only if you're using a Network connection, that is, you can't use Bridge Mode with a USB connection, in case anyone is thinking of trying that with their own computers.

Even then it will take some coaxing.

Thanks guys :) you helped me find the answers I needed :)

Advertisement