Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roof pitch and coverings

Options
  • 03-03-2006 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Hi guys
    I came across a good one very recently. I’ll spare you all but the necessary details to prevent boredom. Some insurance companies will not offer you a quote if 20% of your property is a flat roof. So here’s my question….. If you are over the 20%, and you cannot, because of site limitations erect a normal apex roof, what is the minimum slope / pitch you can have if covering is slate or concrete tile. Now I’m looking for both not either, ie the min for slate and thr min for tile ( reason tile may not be allowed if the original is slate).
    I know this has come up before in bits and pieces, when I learnt that different or heavier tiles need less slope, etc. What I want to know is for “everyday” tile and “everyday” slate what are the min pitches…and a little extra for safety margin. It may not be possible to install slope anywhere near the required amount and a flat roof may be the only option( original structure bungalow, so available height is a problem)

If the famed RooKad are knocking around, I offer a special invite to comment.

Regards
    t

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi tapest,

The minimum recommended for both tile and slate is twenty five degrees, however tile can be brought down to twenty degrees and slate to twenty two and a half.

I can shave a little off for the tiles but not really enough to bother with for the slate unless using a proprietry system.

As to the insurance requirements I have solved that problem for a number of customers, one even had 100% flat, the usual problem is in the 20 > 50% range which as you have pointed out is very often not the home owners choice.

At your disposal so PM or phone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi tapest,

The minimum recommended for both tile and slate is twenty five degrees, however tile can be brought down to twenty degrees and slate to twenty two and a half.

I can shave a little off for the tiles but not really enough to bother with for the slate unless using a proprietry system.

As to the insurance requirements I have solved that problem for a number of customers, one even had 100% flat, the usual problem is in the 20 > 50% range which as you have pointed out is very often not the home owners choice.

At your disposal so PM or phone ;)

Thanks for that Pete.
    I'm still considering options, and a couple of "ways around" I'm looking at for practicality and legitimicy. But I know where you are, so if needed I'll get you in a headlock..and thanks for offer. it is appreciated
    t

Advertisement