Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation on double glazed windows?

Options
  • 03-03-2006 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I've just moved into a new house and have found that every morning there is excessive condensation on the inside of the double glazed window in the bedroom. I thought I heard somewhere that there shouldn't be any condensation on double glazing. Is this a faulty window? Or is this normal becuse of the freakishly cold spell? We've had a few problems with this house and I'd like to put my mind at ease that this isn't another one!:confused: Any coments appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

if its in between the sheets of glass the you have a problem. If its just on the inside then its more then likely just the heat from inside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

mobby wrote:
    if its in between the sheets of glass the you have a problem. If its just on the inside then its more then likely just the heat from inside the house.

It's just on the inside as far as I can see, not between the sheets. Should be ok then. Thanks for that, Mobby.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

I had this problem with a nearly new apartment I rented. The following is what I was (eventually) told by the builders who were still on site...

Apparently in new-builds it can be caused by the plaster or the cement floors still only drying out, which creates excess moisture.

As soon as hot air, which holds more moisture than cold air, hits a cold surface, i.e. your windows, the moisture in the air condenses.

More likely is that you may have no or inadequate ventilation - that turned out to be the problem in my place.

Humans exhale a large amount of water vapour in their sleep (something like 8 litres a night I read somewhere) and this vapour needs to go somewhere - either you need unblocked vents in the bedroom, or you need to leave the window slightly ajar, or more realistically given the current cold weather, leave your bedroom door open a bit - this allows the moisture laden air to escape around the rest of the house. Do you have 'trickle vents' in your windows? Most new double glazed windows have them - try opening them overnight and see if that helps at all.

By leaving the heat on a bit in your bedroom you'll also increase the capacity of the air to hold more moisture - you can then open your bedroom window during the day to allow the moisture escape.

IHumans exhale a large amount of water vapour in their sleep (something like 8 litres a night I read somewhere) and this vapour needs to go somewhere - either you need unblocked vents in the bedroom, or you need to leave the window slightly ajar, or more realistically given the current cold weather, leave your bedroom door open a bit - this allows the moisture laden air to escape around the rest of the house. Do you have 'trickle vents' in your windows? Most new double glazed windows have them - try opening them overnight and see if that helps at all.

They have 'Trickle Vents'. Will try leaving them open, and leaving bedroom door open, see what happens. Thank you for the advice.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

annieee wrote:
    They have 'Trickle Vents'. Will try leaving them open, and leaving bedroom door open, see what happens. Thank you for the advice.:D

Annieee, your trickle vents should be open ALL THE TIME!!! There's so much moisture in a new home & it takes at least 12 months for it to "dry out". Make sure there's at least a 1/2 inch gap between the door & the floor which allows air flow. Clients of ours fitted floors which met the door with 1mm to spare. Guess what... they started experiencing serious moisture problems - because there wasn't sufficient ventilation. Same fools also had a standard tumble dryer venting into the kitchen (they're meant to be ducted externally, or else use a condensor dryer). Result - even more flippin' moisture

And... they NEVER opened a window in the house because it was "too cold". No other way for the moisture to evaporate.

Rule - vent the house. Open the windows when you're there & always keep the trickle vents open at all times.

• Advertisement

babaduck wrote:
    Annieee, your trickle vents should be open ALL THE TIME!!! There's so much moisture in a new home & it takes at least 12 months for it to "dry out". Rule - vent the house. Open the windows when you're there & always keep the trickle vents open at all times.

:eek: I didn't know that. Will leave all vents open at all times and open windows when I am home. Thank you for advice.

Advertisement