Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRT54G in transparent mode

• 03-03-2006 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to setup a Linksys WRT54G in transparent mode so it just does the wireless comms to another AP and then just operates like a switch. Nodes connected to the WRT54G get their IP addresses from the DHCP server running on the AP.

I have successfully setup a WRT54G in a client mode against the other AP, which means it's not operating like an AP but it has its own routing and DHCP server and basically runs its own subnet, but that's not what I want.

Using the freeman firmware, there's an option "client-bridge". I select that and I switch off the DHCP server. PC's connected to the WRT54G do not get IP addresses and there's no real sign that the router is talking to the AP, other than that the "wireless status" shows that it's connected to the AP. If I run freeman in "client-routing" mode, it can talk to the AP just fine, except of course I end up with a different subnet. So the connectivity basically works.

After a lot of spirited googling, it seems that some people are using another Sveasoft firmware called Satori which works on my V2 supposedly and it can apparently do transparent bridging. I followed some half-baked instructions on how to do this, and again, dead as disco. Again, the wireless connection is there to the AP, but serving DHCP through the WRT54G doesn't work. I haven't been able to get Satori to run in client mode in any shape or form, so maybe it's just plain broken.

In any of the cases where it doesn't work, setting the IP address of the PC connected to the WRT54G to an IP in the subnet of the AP doesn't work either. The WRT54G is just not passing through the traffic.

It is possible that my AP for some reason doesn't like this transparent lark. It's a Draytek Vigor2900VG, if that rings a bell with anyone.

So... to cut a long story short, has anyone managed to setup a Linksys WRT54G in transparent mode? If so, how did you do it?

Advertisement