Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCU on bebo

• 03-03-2006 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

So as of a while ago the plague of this age that is bebo decided to take on iris colleges and schools. I'm guessing everyone is on it by now, so as per all board rules: you show me yours i'll show you mine.

You can find mine in the dcumac club under dcu, some else created the space so i'm not counted as the moderator...gotta wait but names mark so shouldn't be too hard to find.

your turn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I'm there too. Same name as here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

look in the BT club, i'm one of the mods. (same name as here)

you are moderator!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Zem

just got made moderator today, now if only it meant something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Is it a new rule on boards.ie that every college needs a bebo thread?

If you're in DCU and want to waste hours on the internet join redbrick!

Having said that I do use bebo a little, even though I find it slow and really badly designed in many ways. The schools feature is nice though!

Anyway, steoc43 on it...

• Advertisement

the SU should use bebo instead of all students emails! there's 208 pages of people on it!!

rugbug86 wrote:
    the SU should use bebo instead of all students emails! there's 208 pages of people on it!!

'Please forward this message to everyone you know or else you will no longer be a member of the student union and be kicked out of the college'

steviec wrote:
    'Please forward this message to everyone you know or else you will no longer be a member of the student union and be kicked out of the college'
    i mean on the forum! probably has more traffic than life.dcu.ie

rugbug86 wrote:
    i mean on the forum! probably has more traffic than life.dcu.ie

Yea that wouldn't be too hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

well for a start bebo works in ca labs which is an improvement.

I am robert.cooke on it, actually weird thing happened today, someone messages me on it who I haven't seen in about 12 years, bebo is scary!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Mod on Redbrick. Jesjes1.

It's mad how many people are on it. All addicted to it.

I heard this girl in the loo say to her mate, OH, are you on Bebo!? I didn't go to my lecture cuz I was browsing, I feel like such a waster.

It's gonna be the cause of many failed degrees!!

i've never missed lectures because of it, just some study time! and when i say some, i mean 4 hours a day. at least!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

*sets fire to Bebo webserver(s) and backup(s)*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I'm not sure I really get it, and yet I'm tempted to join it.

halenger wrote:
    ah dont do that, spoiling all my fun!

Crucifix wrote:
    I'm not sure I really get it, and yet I'm tempted to join it.
    whats to get? you join, you stalk people, you fail exams. no problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Yeh noticed Irish colleges and schools on it the other day... joined DCU :)

The place is a plague, but its a nice plague... with flash and idle banter and a whiteboard.

'Rhymeh' on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Rhyme wrote:
    Yeh noticed Irish colleges and schools on it the other day... joined DCU :)

The place is a plague, but its a nice plague... with flash and idle banter and a whiteboard.

'Rhymeh' on it.
    I followed the link in your sig and started 'surfing' the site. My first impression: "Flash box...so....annoying...."
    Edit: Although the one on your page did crack me up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hah, poor halenger has some hostility towards Bebo alrite.

Meh, while I was reluctant to sign up initially its been pretty good so far in that I've gotten some great photos of nights out and stuff off people and I've also persuaded some of my non-techie mates to start using IRC. Think they were sick of having conversations via white board when they were online...

Oh and I'm --Simo-- on it. gizmo was gone and I don't like using Faceless Man much tbh...:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Shoulda joined as Jizzmo tbh.

• Advertisement

I'll join yore face.

And also make me a mod on Redbrick biatch...

halenger wrote:

you have deep seated anger and resentment at bebo for some reason. Spread love not hate!

You sound like Bono....shush.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

make_love_not_war_sz.jpg

Man, people on dial-up are gona kill you for that! :D

You sound like Bono....shush.:D

*shudder* can't have that. Starve the poor, thats better.

Man, people on dial-up are gona kill you for that! :D
    and apparantly some people in shanowen :rolleyes:

Meh, I wouldn't mind them, all they do is complain anyway...

*makes mental note to change his Location to Shanowen*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

How do you change your date of birth on bebo? Apparently I'm 54, which is about 30 years older than I thought I was.

• Advertisement

OFDM wrote:
    How do you change your date of birth on bebo? Apparently I'm 54, which is about 30 years older than I thought I was.
    I found it under contact details - mysterious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Banned in NUI, being banned in UL apparently... I'd say its days are numbered in DCU! Roll on the banning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Not a chance of it being banned, DCU never bans websites

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

28064212 wrote:
    Not a chance of it being banned, DCU never bans websites
    Except for their own websites... life.dcu.ie and ducky.ie... well, not really banned, just hard to access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

Is Bebo better than myspace?

Wasteofspace you mean.

That depends on who you are talking to really....

I think so, but then, Ihate myspace.

• Advertisement

From a music perspective MySpace is better however from a more social perspective, Bebo is the winner by a mile...

me hearts bebo...

why would they ban it in dcu? that'd suck.

Does anyone know how to get a list of people you've made yourself a groupie of?
    All I can find is the list of people who've made themselves one of your "groupies".

I assumed it was a bit like myspace's "favourites" function but instead seems to act the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭*Shelly*

Correct me if i'm wrong but was bebo not jus banned in certain places aka the library because they were spending so much time on bebo and hogging the computers basically. Therefore it kinda ain't really banned. Hard to ban summit that has become that popular imo

Tell that to the people in NUIG and a few other colleges. As for the Library thing, well if the staff see you wasting too much time they'll probably come up and say it to you which is fair enough I guess. People need those computers for work and others shouldnt be hogging them stalking people on that yoke. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 nahgoe

Are myself and halenger the only ones here who dislike bebo? Personally, I can't stand it. Perhaps it's because of the HUNDREDS of mails i get telling me to join some tard or other on bebo.

I think the SU President candidate who said that they should scrap life.dcu.ie and move the entire union onto bebo, should be shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭*Shelly*

I like bebo but i still agree with the shooting of that terrible canditate who did no research before he got on the podium, tried to tear somone elses campaign to shreads and in the process made completely inaccurate points. Dumbass tbh

nahgoe wrote:
    Are myself and halenger the only ones here who dislike bebo?
    As far as I can tell yes. :)
    Personally I used to hate the idea of joining such a service however I was eventually persuaded when all my non-tech savy friends decided to join it. Since then I must say its been fun. I've actually started talking to friends who I havnt seen in ages and gotten my hands on loads of pictures of events I was at that I had never seen before. The mails can be a pain but once you've added the bulk of your friends they thin out and are easily filterable into their own folder that you'll only have to check once a week. Its also encouraged some of my friends to expand to using other services such as IRC etc.. so it isn't all that bad! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

RE: Banned in DCU, its not banned per se.

Rather, when you sit down to a terminal, next time read the Terms of Usage that you have to click "Agree" too when you want to log on. The machines are for study use. Seems only fair that they are for those who want to do some work.

Personally, I quite like Bebo. I think the NUI Galway ban is a tad vicious.

Advertisement