Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin Film Castings - HELP!

• 03-03-2006 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi all,

How do you get ahead as an actor in this town? :confused:

There is apparently a casting somewhere in Dublin on Monday 6th March for a gangster film featuring James Nesbitt and we can't find any reference to it.

Anyone know anything about this film and/or where the casting is and who's doing it?

I would be most grateful for any insights.

We use:

www.crookedhouse.ie,
    www.mandy.com and
    www.starnow.co.uk
    (and Google)

...when looking for castings.

We know stuff is going on but it seems to be a very closed shop.

How do you break into the scene?

Help! :v:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Your best bet would be to get an Equity card.

http://www.irishactorsequity.ie

They have a jobs section on their website and you'll get employment a lot easier if you have the card.

That said... I've heard it's a total bitch to qualify for the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 jax frost

Thanks man, will give it a bash :)

At least we have another avenue to go down...

Nice one :o

Just had a look and you're right - it's a nightmare to become a member:

"This application should include current C.V. and evidence of 5 contracts, e.g. Copy of contract, payslip or letter from management etc."

What if you've not been fortunate enough to get paid work thus far but have featured in 5 movies (featured and starred, not extra work either).

Hmmmmmm... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Fools Gold

The James Nesbitt thing is prob "Murphys law", its the cop show he did last year, is filming in Ireland for the second series having moved over from the UK. Its in preproduction at the mo so im guessing thats what the casting is for. As for getting ahead in acting i would suggest getting and agent, look em up online or the golden pages or whatever. Have a cv/portfolio or any proof on anything you ve done ready and arrange a meeting. Most agents will put you on the books and send you along to a couple of casting sessions and then decide whether to represent you fully based on feedback from the casting agents. www.siptu.com and www.filmboard.ie will have listings of films etc that are gonna be made in the near future, theyll also have the production company details for each project, im not sure but i guess you could contact the production companies and find out about casting sessions but most companies will just contact agents and let them arrange auditions etc

Thanks mate - that's fantastic. :) I knew I did the right thing by asking the locals on this board.

We're going to give that a bash. We submitted headshots with a CV to a few agents by post but we didn't get a response.

Found a few more in Dublin in the Spotlight's Contact 2005 book so will get cracking on those.

Does anyone out there know of any agents who will take a change on an actor with 5 low/no budget films under his belt?

Recently people in the media have been bleating about the lack of new faces on Irish television - well, here's their chance ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement