Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coil packs in VW 1.8T engines

Options
  • 03-03-2006 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Anybody driving a VW, Audi or Skoda with the 1.8T engine ever have problems with their coil packs. I think I have a bad one at the moment. I have to get my diagnostic software into action to find out is that the case.

But anyway I priced a set of 4 replacements in the US last night for $86. Then I managed to get a price for the same coils in the UK for £25 and in good old faithful Ireland I priced them in a motor factors in Co. Meath for €95 each. God knows what VW themselves want I'm frightened to ask.

Now here's my situation. Do I stay Irish and pay the astronomical price or do I take the risk and wait some time for them to arrive from the UK or US.

Summary IRE €95 x 4 = €380
    UK £25 + £6.50(p+p) x 4 = £126 (€183) (3 year waranty)
    US $86 + $76(p+p) = $162 (€134) Also risk of having to pay VAT if spotted by customs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

My brother is in the same position with an Audi A8, and he asked me to source coil packs for him. I'm assuming you saw the STG£25 ones on eBay? The seller looks good, he also has a phone number posted, so you can call him to make sure they're the right ones. That's the route I'm thinking of taking anyway, but keep us posted - I'll be interested to hear how you get on!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've seen them mentioned a lot on Seat forums, searching on seatcupra.net or seatenthusiasts.co.uk should turn up loads of results for coil pack problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

endplate wrote:
    Anybody driving a VW, Audi or Skoda with the 1.8T engine ever have problems with their coil packs. I think I have a bad one at the moment. I have to get my diagnostic software into action to find out is that the case.

But anyway I priced a set of 4 replacements in the US last night for $86. Then I managed to get a price for the same coils in the UK for £25 and in good old faithful Ireland I priced them in a motor factors in Co. Meath for €95 each. God knows what VW themselves want I'm frightened to ask.

Now here's my situation. Do I stay Irish and pay the astronomical price or do I take the risk and wait some time for them to arrive from the UK or US.

Summary IRE €95 x 4 = €380
    UK £25 + £6.50(p+p) x 4 = £126 (€183) (3 year waranty)
    US $86 + $76(p+p) = $162 (€134) Also risk of having to pay VAT if spotted by customs

VAG had problems with the cylinder coils on the 1.8 and 1.8T 20 valve engines. It effected all Seat, VW, Audi and Skoda models that were fitted with these engines. As far as I know they issued a recall to have the coils replaced a few years back when the issue occured.

My guess is that your car didn't have them replaced at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

bazz26 wrote:
    VAG had problems with the cylinder coils on the 1.8 and 1.8T 20 valve engines. It effected all Seat, VW, Audi and Skoda models that were fitted with these engines. As far as I know they issued a recall to have the coils replaced a few years back when the issue occured.

My guess is that your car didn't have them replaced at the time.

I believe there was no recall as Volkswagen didn't feel it was a safety and they got changed during services. On my the model of coil pack it ends with a H and apparently the problematic packs ended in a J. The latest revision end with an L.

The source Anan1 is the same source as your's I found him on Ebay too. The normal cost for postage is £11 to Europe but I asked would he do a deal on postage if I bought 4 and he dropped the postage to £6.50 which is not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

endplate wrote:
    I believe there was no recall as Volkswagen didn't feel it was a safety and they got changed during services. On my the model of coil pack it ends with a H and apparently the problematic packs ended in a J. The latest revision end with an L.

The source Anun is the same source as your's I found him on Ebay too. The normal cost for postage is £11 to Europe but I asked would he do a deal on postage if I bought 4 and he dropped the postage to £6.50 which is not too bad

Looks alot cheaper than a VW stealer price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

GSF have them for less than £30 each. They're just off the nangor road, and very reputable

GSF have them for less than £30 each. They're just off the nangor road, and very reputable

Wow never heard about them before cheers I'll give them a shout today or on Monday.

Just got off the phone to GSF and they quoted €63 + VAT still very pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

Got one from a scrapyard for 30euro ... quoted 82 + VAT from Otto

Right all sorted out and pushing out 150bhp again woohoo:D . Rang around 10scrapyards and not one could help me out so I got a new part from www.gsfcarparts.com for £17.50 +vat and postage which in all came up to about €35. Their store just off the nangor road did not have the correct part in stock.

I ordered the pack on Wednesday afternoon about 2pm and at 7am Thursday morning the part arrived from Belfast.

Now I'm just waiting for my diagnostic tool to arrive from Germany so I can clear the fault logged in the ECU memory.

Thanks for your help lads untill the next time eh.

BTW I'm going to be selling diagnostic software for a window's based pocket pc soon. This can connect to all cars makes that are sold in the States and that are younger than about 2000. I'll let you know when it goes on sale. More info can be found about this product on www.obd2.com

Advertisement