Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using/providing FON?

• 03-03-2006 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi All,

Anyone using/providing FON (http://en.fon.com/)? What ISP are you using?

I'm interested in setting up an router but it appears that NTL won't allow me to share my BB... :(

Cheers
    BD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

babdub wrote:
    it appears that NTL won't allow me to share my BB
    It used to be a standard clause in broadband providers' agreements that it was provided for one PC and one user. I think it has been relaxed somewhat these days, otherwise what's the point in providing a 4-port (and/or wireless) router with the installation.

I'm sure most providers would still frown on sharing your broadband with other users - remote users, that is. From their point of view it's not unreasonable - if Joe can share his buddy's broadband why would he pay Eircom/BT/IBB/etc for an account of his own? However, in practice, it would be difficult for a provider to detect this and it's not something I'd worry about.

As for setting up as a FON node? Nah, wouldn't be interested. Been there, done that.

Regards,

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

babdub wrote:
    I'm interested in setting up an router but it appears that NTL won't allow me to share my BB... :(

They don't stop you though, they just don't support it. The router FON use would take care of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 babdub

Thanks for your comments guys,

Yeah, I don't think NTL will chase you up on this either... I was just interested in getting some feedback on this "movement". I think it's a good idea - if you have BB to spare, why not share it (securly) and avail of someone elses FON AP when you are on the move. The problem in Ireland though, is that there aren't that many FON AP. But I guess someone have to start :)

Cheers,
    BD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

It does say a few things in the T&Cs about not doing that sort of thing though.

Advertisement