Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here use Painter

Options
  • 03-03-2006 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I came across this site a while back : http://www.artofconway.com/

He is a pretty popular guy on Deviantart and a lot of the work he does is in Painter. Now to me this looks brilliant and its the type of thing id love to learn how to do. Now apart from time, practice and talent what else am i missing? Anyone else using it able to tell me how difficult it would be to get to that kind of level ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

The first thing to remember is that Painter like any other software is a tool.

He could achieve the same effects in Photoshop or traditional media (i.e. paper & paint). To get that good (wouldn't it be great), you'd have to learn the fundamentals first. Things like anatomy, life drawing and light and shade amongst others.

Painter tries to simulate the drawing process of traditional media, so for example, if you wanted to create a water colour picture, it would be a lot easier if you knew how water colours interact in the "real world".

I got a version of Painter when I bought a Wacom tablet (http://www.wacom-europe.com/) and it's a great program. I don't use it that much but from playing around with it, it seems to have a fairly steep learning curve. That being said, I don't have a foundation in the fundamentals I mentioned above.

If you do want to get into digital painting, a Wacom tablet is a must. Aldi & Lidl have cheap graphics tablets now and again but if you are anyway serious go for a Wacom. They can be expensive but are a great investment.

As you said yourself though, in the end, it all boils down to time, practice and talent and more practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

hi Kai

Try the magazine "imagine FX". first issue came out in feb. Picked up a copy myself. available in all good newsagents etc. it's all tutorials etc of the kinda work ur into. You can even submit your work for inclusion iin the mag. Nice! comes with a cd with a load of demos. Painter IX is on there methinks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Precisely as Cosgrove80 said.
    I've used it a handful of times- Mostly when I can't be arsed spending time & money trying the technique out on paper/canvas, or cleaning up the ensuing mess. I've found a graphics tablet helps a lot.

Now to me this looks brilliant and its the type of thing id love to learn how to do. Now apart from time, practice and talent what else am i missing?
    ... you could cheat and 'trace' images ...
    Anyone else using it able to tell me how difficult it would be to get to that kind of level ?
    ..rope...length...

Another package I've seen recommended (Presumably with less of a learning curve & definitely with a significantly more attractive price tag.):
    ArtRage (2) - I haven't used it yet, but it looks fun :D

Advertisement