Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legality of online pharmacies

• 03-03-2006 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

Does anyone know of the legality of buying medicines from online pharmacys, a friend wants to do it, I think it's a stupid idea but am not sure of the relevant laws. Can you be prosecuted?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

I am aware of someone who tried to import certain medicines from such a source - for legitimate purposes !

The delivery was intercepted by the Irish Medicines Board and all that the person received was a very snotty letter from the IMB threatening them with prosecution. Happily it did not come to a prosecution but the delivery was forfeited.

Such pharmacies are not supposed to send medicines in to Ireland as far as I know.

See the Irish Medicines Board website at www.imb.ie

On a practical level this is not a good idea as you do not know who you are really dealing with, there is no comeback, there may be quality control problems and so on.

ractical level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

AnnaStezia wrote:
    I am aware of someone who tried to import certain medicines from such a source - for legitimate purposes !

The delivery was intercepted by the Irish Medicines Board and all that the person received was a very snotty letter from the IMB threatening them with prosecution. Happily it did not come to a prosecution but the delivery was forfeited.

Such pharmacies are not supposed to send medicines in to Ireland as far as I know.

See the Irish Medicines Board website at www.imb.ie

On a practical level this is not a good idea as you do not know who you are really dealing with, there is no comeback, there may be quality control problems and so on.

ractical level

This is bizzare - how on earth did the Irish Medicines Board sieze an import? I think online pharmacies are an exercise of common sense. If one is willing to take the risk with your health, away one goes. There is nothing the law can do to stop pharmacies outside the jurisdiction using the postal system to deliver regulated things to people elsewhere. Perhaps there is some legislation preventing importation but I am not familiar..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rhonda9000 wrote:
    This is bizzare - how on earth did the Irish Medicines Board sieze an import?
    I imagine in conjuction with Customs.
    I think online pharmacies are an exercise of common sense. If one is willing to take the risk with your health, away one goes.
    Having the population poison itself isn't good.
    There is nothing the law can do to stop pharmacies outside the jurisdiction using the postal system to deliver regulated things to people elsewhere.
    Yes, there is, the system can search, seize, destroy and if necessary prosecute.
    Perhaps there is some legislation preventing importation but I am not familiar..
    I think the core part of your sentence is "I am not familiar".

Victor wrote:
    I imagine in conjuction with Customs.

Having the population poison itself isn't good.

Yes, there is, the system can search, seize, destroy and if necessary prosecute.

I think the core part of your sentence is "I am not familiar".

Oh dear. At least I am better informed now. With thanks to your sanctimonious soap box treatment.. forever indebted etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you do not have a license to import prescription medication then you will be procescuted for arranging to bring them into the country by having them shipped to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rhonda9000 wrote:
    I think online pharmacies are an exercise of common sense. If one is willing to take the risk with your health, away one goes.
    I think this is one area where I have to disagree. It's a matter of ignorance rather than common sense.
    It's horrific enough that many (if not most) GPs will write prescriptions for antidepressants and antibiotics without any examination, but allowing a member of the general public to make that diagnosis themselves is asking for trouble.

Someone can be an amateur mechanic, or an amateur DIYer and order all their stuff online and make all the repairs themselves. It's a very different matter for someone to be an amateur doctor.

seamus wrote:
    I think this is one area where I have to disagree. It's a matter of ignorance rather than common sense.
    It's horrific enough that many (if not most) GPs will write prescriptions for antidepressants and antibiotics without any examination, but allowing a member of the general public to make that diagnosis themselves is asking for trouble.

Someone can be an amateur mechanic, or an amateur DIYer and order all their stuff online and make all the repairs themselves. It's a very different matter for someone to be an amateur doctor.

I think this is fair enough. I am happy that there are barriers to people buying whatever medicine they think they need / want for whatever reason but the nanny State can only go so far. For every package that is caught, there are undoubtedly many multiples more that make it to the recipient. And for those people, enough has been done to help protect them - they can be reckless and I wont lose any sleep over it. The burden of having the cop on / caring for yourself rests with yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rhonda9000 wrote:
    And for those people, enough has been done to help protect them - they can be reckless and I wont lose any sleep over it. The burden of having the cop on / caring for yourself rests with yourself.
    And this will kill the stupidest 10% of the population and their dependents / victims - something we can't afford or tolerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I just got notification from Customs and Excise that my shipment of Omeprazole (sold here as Losec or Losamel) was seized and the case referred to the Irish Medicines Board.

10mg Losec tablets (which I what I have been prescribed by a medical doctor) cost €45 for a month's supply here in rip-off Ireland. In Spain, they are sold over the counter, without prescription for €3 for a month's supply. In the US, they are also sold over the counter (albeit in 20mg doses) for roughly $25 for a month and half's worth.

I bought them in the prescribed dose from an internet pharmacy for $40 for 6 months' supply, including shipping. I had no idea that I might be breaking the law, given the varying treatments of the drug within Europe itself.

This is a drug that is obviously so benign in its effects that it can be sold in many places without a prescription. It is also one the price of which in Ireland is clearly inflated by the pharmacy cartel.

My question: am I likely to be prosecuted for this? Again, I had no idea that this was against the law (although, of course, that's no excuse in the eyes of the law).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Legal advice cannot be given or sought on this forum. I would advise contacting the IMB and a solicitor.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement