Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any thoughts ?

Options
  • 03-03-2006 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

my brother asked me about this , he's tryin to put together a site to send files to a mobile fone, ive been poking about on google and readin up on PHP but im gettin nowhere fast.
    what he wants is to be able to send multiple files to the fone when it clicks a link , ie
    * user clicks link on fone
    * site sends a file to fone
    * pause
    * site sends another file
    * pause
    * etc...

Ideally this should be all serverside ( apologies if thats not the right phrase ) , ie no sending of a pre made app to the fone or javascript..

am i wrong to be avoiding Javascript ?

is there a way to do this ?
    i cant seem to get the right phrase to get anythin useful out of google .

any help appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭MrScruff

Do you mean using WAP??

If so then you need to write a WML page to do this.

Taken from the Wikipedia WAP page
    WAP Push

WAP Push, available since WAP 1.2, has been incorporated into the specification to allow WAP content to be pushed to the mobile handset with minimum user intervention. A WAP Push is basically a specially encoded message which includes a link to a WAP address. WAP Push is specified on top of WDP; as such, it can be delivered over any WDP-supported bearer, such as GPRS or SMS.

In most GSM networks, however, GPRS activation from the network is not generally supported, so WAP Push messages have to be delivered on top of the SMS bearer. On receiving a WAP Push, a WAP 1.2 or later enabled handset will automatically give the user the option to access the WAP content.

In this way, the WAP Push directs the end user to a WAP address where particular content may be stored ready for viewing or downloading to the handset. The address could be a simple page or multimedia content (e.g., polyphonic ring tone) or a Java application. Using WAP Push, one can make it easier for end users to discover and access new mobile services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭cyberbob

ive had a quick google on wap pushes , looks like id have to pay for each push i send... ( i have some more reading to do ) .
    Im gonna have a read around on xml , not sure yet if it does what im thinkin about doing , or if what im thinking of doing is possible (for free) :p .
    thanks for your input !

Advertisement