Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pirlo

• 03-03-2006 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

I Had An Argument With My Mate And I Said That Pirlo Was Defensive But He Said He Was Attacking.which Is He.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Andrea Pirlo is the most bizare player in the world.
    He is an out and out play maker, Requeilme, David Pizzaro and Prilo are all very similar, ALL of thier positive atribuits are attacking, he is an out and out play maker, offers very little defensively, but in Milans mental system of playing 3 play makers (Kaka, Seedorf and Prilo) he sits infront on the defence and gets all the attacks going, sort of like a quaterback (this is acutally where Sven got the idea to play beckham in that way, but beckham isn't half the player Prilo is, and doesn't have 10/1 the footballing brain).

Any other team in the world he would be laying behind 1 or 2 strikers protected by the midfeild, at milan he plays just infront of the defence protected by Gattuaso and Seedorf, and it works quite well.

So in reality is is an attacking player (milan bought he as a forward from inter!) buth with milan he sits back and starts everything off, so you could call him defensive, but you'd be very very wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It's not only Milan. He holds the midfield for Italy too. I don't think I've seen Gattuso in the holding role but I'd say he'd be too Neil Lennon style for Milan's liking. Gattuso and Pirlo compliment each other well though.

When carlo went mental at the start of the season playing 3-4-1-2 against the weaker teams pirlo was moved up the pitch a bit and Reno was playing further back.

The thing is he doesn't actually hold the midfeild, watch him play, he rearly adds to defense, he knows what he is best at and that as we all know is playing a 60+ yard ball straight onto someones toe, and so he waits for Seedorf/Gattauso to break up the play, makes space for himself, takes the ball and launches the next attack, he is the key reason mlian play such great attacking football, he does put in a few tackles and he does track back sometimes, but only when he has to, if Seedorf or Gattuaso are caught out of posistion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

He is an incredible player who is constantly overlooked in the world player awards etc. Which is a disgrace but then again it's come to be expected. Definetly my favourite current player.
    For the sake of this argument I'd say positional wise he is defensive but mentally wise he is attacking because all Milans attacks go through him.

Nanu, that is probably the best discription of him!

And I agree with you, but Kaka is just as good, oh it' too hard to choose... Kaka or Pirlo, I can't decide who is better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Pirlo and Gattusso are the two most over looked midfielders around when it comes to people picking the best midfielders around imo. people talk of gerrard, ballack, lampard and all, but i'd have those 2 particular players over them every time

if i was building a team they'd certainly be 2 of my 4 midfielders, what they did along with kaka to liverpool in the first half of the final last year was just a masterclass in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Anytime I watch Pirlo i see him make the most difference when he attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

el rabitos wrote:
    Pirlo and Gattusso are the two most over looked midfielders around when it comes to people picking the best midfielders around imo.

totally agree, Gattuso is probably my favourite current player, absolutely love what he does out on the park. and to answer seans question Pirlo > Kaka :) imo! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well I've been a Milan fans since the 80's even pre Silvio era!!!

Gattuso is class, the most ferocious player in the game. A few years back he was all running and tackle and nothing much else. work so closely with the likes or Pirlo, Seedorf and Ricky he has improved so so much on his passing and control that you could now class him as one of the best defensive midfielders in the game today. When he doesn't play Milan lack steel.

Pirlo is your quintessential Italian play maker. He is not defensive or is he attacking. No pace, can't tackle but sits in front of the defence receiving the ball from the back line (and Rino) and distributing it all over the park. His close control, skill and touch on the ball is second to none and for me he is the best passer and dead ball taker in the world at the moment. He is one of the most underrated players in the game but these days the awards only go to attacking players who show flare!

Advertisement