Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reconfiguring Outlook 2003 for eircom broadband

• 03-03-2006 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭

I need your help. I just got eircom broadband. I use Outlook 2003 and need to reconfigure it. The support site shows you how which is great except it doesn't work (the error is that it can't log onto the incoming mail server [mail1.eircom.net]. I rang their expensive support line but the girl hadn't a clue how to reconfigure outlook, only outlook express (incredible). I did reconfigure express just to see and its working fine. Only thing is I don't like Outlook Express and would like the option, thank you very much, of using the email client I actually like. Anybody had this problem or got any advice. It'd be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I'm Using Outlook 2003 on Eircom BB with no problems at all, Below is how mine is configged.

Click Tools > Email accounts and Select Add New Email Account

Next Screen Select Pop3

Next Screen

User Information

Your Name: Obviously you put your name in here
    Email Address: whatever@eircom.net

Login Information:

UserName: Whatever
    Password: yourpassword

Tick Remember Password

Incoming Mail server: mail1.eircom.net
    Outgoing Mail server: mail1.eircom.net

And Click Finish

That Should be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Thanks but the problem is that it isn't it. I've done all that and when I test the account settings it says that it could not logon to the incoming mail server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

try mail.eircom.net or mail2.eircom.net other than that the only thing that could cause that is a bad username and/or pass.

Also Try logging in with the password blank and it should pop up a dialog looking for it when you login type it directly and see can you get in.

Really no reason for it not to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Myksyk wrote:
    I rang their expensive support line but the girl hadn't a clue how to reconfigure outlook, only outlook express (incredible).
    You'll find that Outlook Express and IE are covered by most places' lines because they're free, and thus are what the majority of people use. It's assumed that if you're going to spend good money on software like Office 2003, then you're going to educate yourself instead of relying on someone else to tell you how to use it.
    Believe it or not, ISP helplines have absolutely no interest in helping you at all, only in having good stats, and if they can get you off the phone by telling you "We don't support that", then you go down as a "call resolved" happy stat.

First things first, post up the full error message that you get (or a screenshot). If the error contains your username and/or password, then remove that text.

The error code is 0x80042108. A google suggests it is something to do with Norton Internet Security Software (which I do have). It says to uninstall and reinstall ... is this a good idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're getting the exact same message as described in that MSKB article, then go ahead and knock yourself out. I can't see it causing any major problems.

Aha ... uninstalled Norton Internet Security and reinstalled ... did the trick! Thanks for the help.

Advertisement