Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband router-netopia dropping con. with some laptops

• 03-03-2006 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Just got broadband(eircom) in the GF's house and her da has a Sony Vaio Laptop with inbuilt wireless card, all the latest drivers etc etc.
    Problem is, he can connect to the wireless network, works fine, tried downloading a file, downloaded at 50kb/s which is grand, but it seems to drop the connection after a certain time, about 5 mins.
    It is a Netopia router 3347nwg -

I don't think it's a problem with the laptop, because it works in his office(work) perfectly, but not sure what the router situation is there..

However I have my laptop here, it's an Acer Ferrari 3400 and it picks up the wireless perfectly, with no dropping..
    Also the GF's laptop's wirelss is working perfectly with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dougals Daddy

dawballz wrote:
    Just got broadband(eircom) in the GF's house and her da has a Sony Vaio Laptop with inbuilt wireless card, all the latest drivers etc etc.
    Problem is, he can connect to the wireless network, works fine, tried downloading a file, downloaded at 50kb/s which is grand, but it seems to drop the connection after a certain time, about 5 mins.
    It is a Netopia router 3347nwg -

I don't think it's a problem with the laptop, because it works in his office(work) perfectly, but not sure what the router situation is there..

However I have my laptop here, it's an Acer Ferrari 3400 and it picks up the wireless perfectly, with no dropping..
    Also the GF's laptop's wirelss is working perfectly with it.

You could always get a new girlfriend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

I've a Vaio laptop as well and have the same problem! Desktop downstairs that's on wireless does not seem to have the same problem so maybe there is something wrong with the drivers for vaio laptop's wireless feature??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭JimG

I have same problem with a HP laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The Centrino drivers are ... awkward.
    Check for an updated driver (vaio-link.com) & possibly a firmware upgrade.

Are you using WEP or WPA?

Turn off any power saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

I've just encountered this problem today. Just set up wireless on laptop. Using Netopia 3347nwg and Netopia PCMCIA card and laptop keeps dropping link to modem even if I'm in same room as modem. Both lights on the card go out. If I pull out the PCMCIA card and put it back in it picks up signal again for another minute or two (Had to do this twice while writing this post)

I have a desktop downstairs on ethernet and desktop upstairs on wireless USB and both are fine.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

I had the same problem with the same equipment. i.e connection dropping or not working for a few days .
    If you go into the config of your network card and see what channel it is running on ( ad hoc channel I think it is called) , it should be either 7 or 11, I can't remember which one I changed to but whatever the number is change it to the other. and the problem was fixed.

I hope this makes sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭JimG

I made the change to channel 11 too, but no better.
    Does anybody know if USB wireless adapters have this sort of problem?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

One of the problems with wireless equipment is that it is very difficult to predict its behaviour so it is very impossible to say that a usb alternative will solve your particular problem. Unless you can convince a retailer to sell you one on the basis of immediate return if it does not work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

I'm having this problem with the same router.....3 days now...
    I turned the wireless off and I'm connected to my pc via ethernet cable...I rang them and the guy on the phone said there was nothing he could do, to just wait a few days and hope that it resolves itself...:mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

mada999 wrote:
    I'm having this problem with the same router.....3 days now...
    I turned the wireless off and I'm connected to my pc via ethernet cable...I rang them and the guy on the phone said there was nothing he could do, to just wait a few days and hope that it resolves itself...:mad:
    That's called a "fob off".

I'll put it a bit more bluntly than Karoma did; the Centrino wireless cards are bollocks. Though if you update to the latest drivers it might fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

i know its a fob off......but there's something up! and I'm not using a pc not a laptop, really annoying what a ****ty connection aggghh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

mada999 wrote:
    i know its a fob off......but there's something up! and I'm not using a pc not a laptop, really annoying what a ****ty connection aggghh!

Mine is the same with my PC. I have one of the first non-wireless Netopia's. It started about half a year ago and would take around twenty mins to connect, dsl sync light comes on, then drops out. While its supposedly on there is no web/ pings etc. Ive tried resetting the modem to no avail.

It stopped for a few weeks and i forgot about it, but now hey presto its back again. All phone line connections are perfect and i even took the filter out because i have no handset in my room, same shiite.

I blame Eircon. If they charge for excess CAP this month i'll go ape****.
    Im currently trying to secure a new router to see if thats the problem. I have resetted the modem, updated the software etc. Our phone line was only new two and a half years ago so unless the technology has been upgraded since then i dont see the feckin problem.

I cant even break the modem out of sheer frustration because they own the thing and i have to give it back when i get Smart in. Ive come fairly close though.

Advertisement