Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help setting up wireless on laptop please.

• 03-03-2006 9:51pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,just got a new dell 1300 laptop for the wife but having major problems sorting wireless net access.
    Ive gone through everything as described when i insert and run the eircom disc that came with my netopia 3347 router.
    Ive had a look at the router page in browser and its wireless options but i havent a clue tbh.
    Any help greatly appreciated please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Firstly, i assume you have the wireless card installed properly etc..

If so.. go into start, control pannel, network connections, right click the wireless connection and enable it... after enabeling, right click again and select 'view availabe wireless networks'... when the network is found double click it to join it and put the encryption key in the box... the encryption key is a huge string of numbers and letters found on the wireless page of the router site. i.e. http://192.168.1.254 ... it should then connect and ull be on.... u wont have to follow these steps everytime, next time u turn on the computer it should connect automaticaly..
    Hope it helps and is not too... i kinda assumed very little knowledge... easiest way to avoid loads of return questions....:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

When i 'view availabe wireless networks' i get a message saying

"windows cannot configure this wireless connection
    If you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection,use that software"

I havent to the best of my knowledge enabled another program to manage this, well and truely baffled here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ok i sussed that the dell wireless card tool utility was defaulted to auto configure hence why i was getting this message.
    Once disabled i went through your steps and it worked first time.
    Huge thanks m8,one happy wife sitting behind me as i type :)
    Sorry for noobiness but i never had any form of wireless,only got broadband bout a year ago,thanks again :)
    Quick question,i got feck all documentation from dell,do i need to keep laptop plugged into mains in order to charge up battery for first time like mobiles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ac00785

Dcully wrote:
    Ok i sussed that the dell wireless card tool utility was defaulted to auto configure hence why i was getting this message.
    Once disabled i went through your steps and it worked first time.
    Huge thanks m8,one happy wife sitting behind me as i type :)
    Sorry for noobiness but i never had any form of wireless,only got broadband bout a year ago,thanks again :)
    Quick question,i got feck all documentation from dell,do i need to keep laptop plugged into mains in order to charge up battery for first time like mobiles?

FYI Should you require the Dell Restore Discs (Program/Drivers) including your Original Windows XP; you need to ring Dell Customer Service quoting your System Tag XXXXX. They do not send them with the system as standard. You will notice that your harddrive is smaller than quoted on your order. The reason for this is that Dell partition your Disk into two and place a copy of your system files onto the small partiton. Should you need to restore your system to factory default do the following:

Restore the system to the Dell factory installation (PC Backup).
    To restore the system to the Dell factory installation using PC Backup, perform the following steps:
    NOTE: PC Backup is available on Dimension and Inspiron systems that shipped on or after 18 Oct. 2005 in the Americas.

Power the computer on.
    When the Dell screen appears press and hold the <Ctrl> key on the keyboard, press the <F11> key, then release them both at the same time.
    The Starting Symantec|Dell Recovery Environment screen appears.
    NOTE: Press the keys one time only. If you press them more than once, a keyboard error occurs and the process has to be initiated again.

Once the End User License Agreement appears, Click the Accept button or press the <Enter> key to indicate your acceptance of the End User License Agreement.
    The Symantec Recovery Disk window appears.
    Click on the Recover My Computer to Original Dell Configuration button or press <Tab> until Recover My Computer to Original Dell Configuration is highlited and press <Enter>.
    The Recover My Computer Wizard dialog box appears. Click Yes or press the <Tab> key and press <Enter>.
    A second Recover My Computer Wizard dialog box appears. Click Yes or press the <Tab> key and press <Enter> to start the recovery process.
    The Ghost32 8.2 window appears. Once the process is begun, it usually takes only 8 to 10 minutes to complete.
    When the restore is complete, the system will restart
    Your software is now as it was when you first received your computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Dcully wrote:

Yes it is a good idea to charge it up to full first go... from then on u can use it as you like.... its generally easier to use on mains as theres no hassle of quick scrambles to plug it in... also, as with all batteries they tend to start running low quickly the older they get.. however dell laptops (and possibly other laptops) hav a battery recalibration thingy built into them so when it realises ur battery is wearing out it will tell u... just follow the simple steps... which involves charging the battery up full, discharging it to empty and recharging it again...(my laptop certainly has it and it seems to work)

• Advertisement
Advertisement