Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsofts answer to IPod / PSP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Microsoft's answer to the iPod is a €1000 PMP/PC??
    Might want to rephrase that.

I honestly dont see the need for these devices, far too much convergence on one device.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's the size of a fecking plank.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I don't really get it - is it a glorified PDA or a cut-down laptop?

It runs the risk of falling between the two, especially at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Ice_Box wrote:
    Its called the Origami and we'll here all about it next week at Cbit. It all sound quite interesting. Its basically a tablet PC/ Digital music player / Portable xbox / Personal digital assistant rolled into one. Intel are doing the chip and Samsung are to build. Costs should be under €1000.00
    Do you work for microsoft? How about an ad agency working for microsoft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

D wrote:
    Do you work for microsoft? How about an ad agency working for microsoft?

No, do you?

Is this not the right place to post and read information about new gadgets? This thing is getting major attention around the web. Why should boards members have to miss out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

I've been following this too. Its like those things they use in star trek. Microsoft are trying to be cool like Apple. Microsoft are not cool in my view and this product could be a disaster for them. Its funny that they were rumers that Apple were bringing out such a device.

Its looks too big to be taken seriously and its been done before too. Anybody remember the OQO from a few years ago? They went bust I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Its a fecking brick!

Can see this tank

Did they not see the PSP over there at Microsoft? Why is it a success - its stunning looking, great size, great picture quality.

If people want a laptop - they get a laptop, if they want a pda, they get a pda....what the hell is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

I agree completely it is too big!
    Work is work you dont walk down a street plodding buttons on one of these doing work youd walk under a bus!

I bought an iPod cos imo it played music very well and had simplicity.

People buy a phone to make calls you can implement music for travelling to work. It works in this case.

But cameras and phones? They don go so well cos a phone doesnt do a good enough job of taking pictures!!

This brick will not have simplicity or carry out one task better than a specifically designed piece or gear will.
    You aint go sit down and squint and displayin PPS, Docs etc for work are you?

I dont hate MS or anything but I wouldnt buy one.
    And seriously that game well....it wont synchronise Call of duty cos it wont be able to run it! you want game use PC, PS or PSP whatever but the iPod dont play games well either.

But I suppose its progress :)

I didnt see it being used as a phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

i thought microsofts answer to the ipod was the iriver, which is better then the ipod anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The iriver has nothing to do with Microsoft.

There are rumours of an *actual* portable game/media player coming from Microsoft, I guess we'll either get a denial pretty soon, or a confirmation at E3 in May.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Even the PSP is a stupid size and it remains to be seen if it's taken off beyond those that would go out an buy a gameboy anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Don't agree. I actually think the psp is a perfect size for portable gaming. I like the big screen.

As for microsoft, this is hardly the "portable" device they are rumoured at aiming at the handheld gaming market. It's far too expensive (btw where did the figure of under $1000 come from??). I reckon there will be a seperate device that will be aimed at competing with the ipod/psp.

As for 1 device doing many things, I think the camera-phone is a great idea. You never have your camera on you when you need it and you always have your phone, ergo its a very useful addition. I agree though that a stand alone camera will do a better job but the phone camera's are getting better by the week.

I think portable gaming/music device is the best merger of functions. Those who are into portable gaming will also be into portable music....and the psp works quite well in this respect.

Now back to my DS...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Just watched some of those video's. It looks cool and to be honest I think a device like this will be common place in years to come. it makes sense to have 1 device that will control everything (just like Skynet :))

This will be ther 1st of it's kind, trying to merge everything into 1 and control everything else. It's bulky yes but it needs to be. I prefer having a large screen when viewing emails etc.. I really liked the notebook in one of the videos, the umpc on one side and a keybord o the other, very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Either:

This thing is huge, or the woman in this picture is very small. They should have a picture of a bear holding a 42" plamsa, similar proportions, more comedy.

Actually the ad on youtube makes it look very cool, but sort of reliant on the fact that everyone will have one.

Advertisement