Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wasting police time?

• 03-03-2006 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    When I was about 15 or 16 I got in trouble for wasting police time. My parents had to pay a fine for it. I am hoping to get a J1 visa for America this summer and I am wondering if they will hold this against me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unlikely. Unless you went to court and were convicted of "wasting police time", then you don't have a conviction, and don't have to declare the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

the police came round to my house, i was in school at the time. i think the fine was to cover the cost of the police helicopter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

As far as I know, you will be ok.

Just dont make the same mistake that my mate did.

US Official: Hi

Him: Hi

US Official: Everything seems to be in order, have you ever been in trouble with the police?

Him: (Expecting his answer to be taken in the context of bonhommie and banter)... Oh no, not really, just when I was younger.

US Offical: Oh I'm afraid, that we cant let you in, stamps his papers, have a nice day(he actually said that).

He was moving to the US, to live with his American girlfriend, he got in eventually, illegally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Your record is wiped when your 18 anyway isnt it?

Either way, no they wont hold it against you/find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Just dont make the same mistake that my mate did.

Please tell me he didn't say that.

*boggle*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

seamus wrote:
    Unlikely. Unless you went to court and were convicted of "wasting police time", then you don't have a conviction, and don't have to declare the incident.

It's unlikely that you could be convicted of "wasting police time". Perhaps "wasting Garda time" would be more likely in this country. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

bitscared wrote:
    i think the fine was to cover the cost of the police helicopter.

What is the world coming to? They had to bring out a helicopter?
    This just highlights how stupid things done in one's youth can come back to haunt you in later years. I certainly hope that was an isolated incident in the past and that you have grown up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think you are ok, just dont make any serious mistakes on your J1 or you can kiss the US goodbye. Be good now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭deimos

bitscared wrote:
    the police came round to my house, i was in school at the time. i think the fine was to cover the cost of the police helicopter.

A bloody helicopter?

I would say you will be grand. Just don't tell them.

But seriously, tell us about the helicopter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you want talk to an immigration lawyer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hagar wrote:
    What is the world coming to? They had to bring out a helicopter?
    This just highlights how stupid things done in one's youth can come back to haunt you in later years. I certainly hope that was an isolated incident in the past and that you have grown up a bit.

ahh come on, we all still do it from time to time, for the laugh ;) ...don't we? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

it most have been pretty serouis in order for the gardai to have to get a helicopter what was it for out of intrest, if its something minor im sure you'd be ok but the gardai having to get a helicopter implys it must have been a much more serouis matter than you are making out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It doesnt matter about the helicopter. If he just got a fine for wasting police time he will be grand. It doesnt matter if they needed the army to catch him.

Advertisement