Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old PS1 Games....

Options
  • 03-03-2006 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Have you ever been sitting at home and felt like dusting down some of your old PS1 games and firing them up on the PS2? Have you done it for old times sake?/to laugh at the graphics?/or because you still genuinely love the game?? Today I dusted down Formula 1 97, Knockout Kings 2000 and Gran Turismo 2!! They still hold up reasonably ok today!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Be sure to turn on smooth texturing and increased disc reading speed in the BIOS before putting them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

The only PS games I have are FF7, Wip3out and Vagrant Story. All of which I bought about six months ago. I don't own a PS though, which makes it a little strange I suppose. I just play them with ePSXe which works okay, except for ocassional delays in menus and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I shed a Nostalgic tear though when the PS1 menu shot up...:p

mp3guy wrote:
    Be sure to turn on smooth texturing and increased disc reading speed in the BIOS before putting them in.

Will do....cheerz!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I sold all my PS1 games apart from all the Final Fantasies, I fire VII up ocassionally and I'm sure I'll play the others at some point too.

Recently when feeling nostalgic I did buy Syndicate Wars from ebay(I originally owned it when it was out new) and played a good bit into it, gameplay holds up fine!

There's some games I'd be interested in, like Suikoden 1 & 2 and Vandal Hearts, all of which I completed via renting(I was poor those days) but would love to own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i still have a **** load of PS1 game left to play. (praetorian. I'm taking that Ps2 back an you are never getting it again.) Nothing wrong with PS1 games. Better gameplay than any PS2 game except FFX so fAR..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ill disagree there. i never once had the want to buy a ps1 in my life. nothing attracted me. I bought a ps2 cause i got a slimline for 70euro and i have select few games ICO and shadow of the colossus being the two that are amazing. devil may cry 3 is great fun and I enjoy silent hill 2 but there is nothing else id buy for it really. i have others like VF4, FFX, gregory horror, disgaea but couldnt be bothered really. ps1 was much worse unless youre a big rpg buff and gameplay isnt really an issue when going through lots of menus and stuff. n64 was the better console by far. less games i know but more quality games rather than hundreds nearly thousands of games for ps1 with the odd diamond in the rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭roastie

i still play jonah lomu rugby , best rugby game ever , so much better than the new EA versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ahh most definetly. I kept mine, still have it here with about 30 odd games or so. Occasionally I've thought about selling it, but them remembered how much fun I had playing the games back in the day and held off. Still one or two games I never finished and still mean too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I still have a hand full of ps1 games the best being the command and conquer games why the newer ones are not on the ps2 is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

The only PS games I have are FF7, Wip3out and Vagrant Story. All of which I bought about six months ago. I don't own a PS though, which makes it a little strange I suppose. I just play them with ePSXe which works okay, except for ocassional delays in menus and such.

Make ISO's with IsoBuster for faster performance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I still have about 200 games for the old PS1, spent a crazy amount of money in those days. Would love to get a chance to finish them. Can't bring myself to part with them even though they haven't been touched in a couple of years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I went back and bought my fourthn my lifetime a couple of years ago, got a psone plus official screen, very nice indeed! Then set about buying all the games that were the business the first time around and all the titles I never got to own wen I went on to the N64 and others, back then I sold one console to fund the next.
    I still enjoy the Ridge Racer series, Rage Racer still a great title, the Need 4 Speed games are still good fun particularly the original one but you can bin the second one it stinks!
    Picked up a NeGcon, sweet analog controller, Wipeout will never seem the same again!
    Also got Beatmania plus controller and Parappa the Rappa, super stuff.
    F1'97 is still the stand out F1 title of all time for me, certainly the last time I had fun playing one.
    Wipeout, Wipeout 2097 and Wipeout 3 Special Edition are all prized posessions as is Cybersled, Namco made so much good stuff.
    Got Vagrant Story and the FF games but there is little chance I will ever play them, but nice to have none the less.
    The best game I seem to remember was a ways back, when I had a dodgy PS1 and had a few "backups" in my collection, I played Einhander, quite simply the best shooter I have yet to play, look it up, Square made it and one has to wonder why oh why they never made anymore, perhaps they just couldn't top this.
    Also Castlevania SOTN, what four letter abbreviations are all about.

Thats only the ones from the top of my head, there are loads of cracking titles on the format, most till hold up today, sure a lot of stuff was pants but on a format as popular as this was in its day it was hardly headline news that they would release anything and everything to make a buck.

That said, nothing to compare with Nights, Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Blastcore, Quake, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon/Zwei and many more. Plenty of great games all calling for a gamers attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    F1'97 is still the stand out F1 title of all time for me, certainly the last time I had fun playing one

Very true, I don't know why it went so downhill after that.

I'd love a decent F1 game to come out on console again. The Grand Prix series on PC is ok but I don't have the space for a steering wheel setup and it just wasn't designed for keyboard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I played Einhander, quite simply the best shooter I have yet to play, look it up, Square made it and one has to wonder why oh why they never made anymore, perhaps they just couldn't top this.

Absolutely brillaint isn't it. IMO it's up there with Radiant Silvergun as one of the best shooters ever. Soundtrack was a real stand out. I'm amazed it came from Square and the producer was Hironobu Sakaguchi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I still buy PS1 titles every now and then. Found R-Type Delta in Game Stop a couple of months ago. Been playing that quite alot. It kicks the arse off R-Type Final in every department other than the graphics.

Picked up Strikers 1945 II in Game a couple of years ago and got hopelessly addicted to it. It was my most played game of 2004 by a long shot.

I really want to get Vib Ribbon, Parappa The Rapper 1 and Einhander. Must get me a swap disk and work out how to burn isos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Better gameplay than any PS2 game except FFX so fAR..

SOTC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I still play Rage Racer and Wip3out every now and again. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think I got a crash course in mid 90's trance by listening to the soundtracks of Wipeout and Wipeout 2097, had the soundtrack to the former too, along with two lovely t-shirts, one with the testsuo twins on it with the message "double trouble", ah sweet video gaming merchandise, the best, my Rez T-shirt, still worn with nerdy pride to this day!

Rage Racer, hmm, and that waterfall after the first left turn, up that hill, then the San Francisco style incline as well, not to mention the first time you tackle the oval in a really really really fast car, lovely jubbly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

There are loads of PS games I'd like to play if I had a PS2. If Sony releases a reliable region-free PS2 I'll buy one. Until then, **** them.

• Advertisement

Bah, the ridge racer games were nothing compared to sega rally.

My nostalgic trip back to my PS1 suffered a devestating blow though when I was playing Knoockout Kings 2000. My fingers were bloody killing me after knockin seven shades of sh1te outta half of the middleweight division, I worked hard so I decided to spoil myself and save my progress when I just remembered....:eek: I DUNNO WHERE MY PS1 MEMORY CARD IS!!!! ARGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

roastie wrote:
    i still play jonah lomu rugby , best rugby game ever , so much better than the new EA versions.
    What an absolutely class game! I must dig up mine. Did you ever try the 'situation' game that it had on it? Realy challenging they were. It had some major issues but still much better than the EA ones as you said.

Sega Rally was a one trick pony, and only the first one on the Saturn was worthy, the follow up on the DC and the new one I believe are awful. Nope once you can get past the handling conceit, the Ridge Racer games are excellent, I do have a lovely copy of Daytona for the DC that I still can't play properly, never got the hang of the handling model, I must see if the local community centre are doing video game driving classes!

The handling model on Ridge Racer was awful and archaic compared to Sega Rally. At the time it had the most realistic handling of any rally game. It also requires a lot of skill unlike Ridge Racer. I came first in Ridge Racer on my first go. Played the ridge racer games recently and have to say I was wondering why I was so impressed all those years ago. Sega Rally is still a great game to play now. Also more tracks than Ridge Racers 1 and a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I don't think I could choose between Sega Rally and Ridge Racer Type-4, undoubtedly the best arcade racers ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Bust-A-Move:2 Arcade Ed. The PS1 version is best, second only to a 'proper' NeoGeo AES/MVS version (as 'Puzzle Bobble')

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo. Again, best on PS1.

ambro25 wrote:
    Bust-A-Move:2 Arcade Ed. The PS1 version is best, second only to a 'proper' NeoGeo AES/MVS version (as 'Puzzle Bobble')

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo. Again, best on PS1.

Rubbish. The Saturn did all capcom and Neogeo games far better than the PS1. And that isn't taking into account when the Ram upgrades were used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Rubbish. The Saturn did all capcom and Neogeo games far better than the PS1. And that isn't taking into account when the Ram upgrades were used.

Well, the two Saturns I had (consecutively, in my 'retro' period) both had problems loading, so they left me with a very sour taste - and were promptly forgotten about.

Not to mention their (OEM) pads were proper sh1te, compared to the (OEM, 1st gen) PS1, digital-control wise.

Matter of opinion of course :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Never liked Sega Rally that much. They seemed a bit dry. Ridge Racer series on the otherhand was incredible.

Daytona and Scud Race on on another level again, but no reason why RR series can't be still enjoyed on their own terms. There aren't enough good arcade racers these days. All you've got is the incredibly mindless Burnout games.

Advertisement