Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend Prem Match Thread

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

and against Uraguay but neither in the league....

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Great goal from Keane. Bad decision from the linesman, who was less than a yard away. Another question mark over his second, did he control it with his hand? It would have been harsh on Blackburn to go in 2-0 down, they were largely the better team after Spurs went ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Great goal from Keane. Bad decision from the linesman, who was less than a yard away. Another question mark over his second, did he control it with his hand? It would have been harsh on Blackburn to go in 2-0 down, they were largely the better team after Spurs went ahead.

Yeah i think sky sports were trying to say it was a case of being too close to the action to call that throw in decision, bad decision all the same. Keane has admitted it hit his hand, but suggested that he was running in and couldn't stop it from hitting his hand, Either way two unlucky decisions against blackburn who have otherwise controlled the game. That pongolle goal could prove crucial, i think 2-0 at half time may have been too much. Second half has started much the same, with Blackburn enjoying most of the possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just saw Robbies first goal, what a goal, onef of the best this season imo and Jamie Redkanpp on Sky Sports just said he reckoned it was goal of the season.

He is in flying form, pitty he's not going to the World Cup:rolleyes:

Blackburn scores Pongo sets up Bellamy.

Mike.

86% possession for Blackburn in the last 10 mins, just got the goal they deserve, pongolle repaying the favour to bellamy, 2-2 should be in for a good finish, they deserve the win.

Blackburn ftw.

ahh well. 3-2

MIDO!! Yesssss 3-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Great game, shaping up for a good last 10mins

Great game, a bit harsh that Blackburn didn't get anything. But a lack of concentration really cost them. It's an old clichè but still valid, I guess you really are vulnerable when you've just scored. Their domination at the time of their equaliser was such that I thought they would go on to win it. I honestly think they would have if they didn't slip up in concentration and go behind again just two minutes later. But fair play to Martin Jol for bringing on the fresh legs of Lennon, and fair play to Spurs for bouncing straight back after Bellamy's equaliser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Frustrating: that's the only word I can use. I'm sure Jol will ask for that referee and linesman to officiate at all of Spurs' games.

I could take Keane's second goal, but the fact that it wasn't a Spurs throw at all for the first is annoying. How could the linesman miss it?

And don't even get me started on the handball, someone should remind Paul Stalteiri (I think it was him) that he's not playing basketball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Lemlin wrote:
    Frustrating: that's the only word I can use. I'm sure Jol will ask for that referee and linesman to officiate at all of Spurs' games.

I could take Keane's second goal, but the fact that it wasn't a Spurs throw at all for the first is annoying. How could the linesman miss it?

And don't even get me started on the handball, someone should remind Paul Stalteiri (I think it was him) that he's not playing basketball.

yes, and the goal that never was at utd last year stopped us from being in europe this year.

it all adds up even in the long run.

besides, i dont think it was that dubious.

however, over all, a really enjoyable game, and on the performance blackburn deserved to come away with a point, but then again, how many times have i said that about spurs this season and it hasnt happened.
    its good to get the rub of the green for a change after 2 months of getting nothing.

good win. i have been sayiong blackburn have been a team to watch for the past three months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

If you think Keane's goal shouldn't have been allowed then you must think that Spurs should've had a penalty in the 2nd half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Im guessing theres a lot of money on PSG around Europe?!
    I bet the likes of Paddy Power regret taking the odds for that match down now. There must have been hundreds of thousands on PSG for this match.

fade2black wrote:
    If you think Keane's goal shouldn't have been allowed then you must think that Spurs should've had a penalty in the 2nd half.

Yeah but we can cancel that out with the one blackburn should have had in the second half also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

it was an excellent match, and one im very disappointed blackburn didnt come away with something. they were all over tottenham for a large part of the match and got absolutely none of the breaks. Ref must have had a friend with a few quid riding on the game :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

First goal should never have been, mido knocked that ball out, though u cant fault keane for the goal, was excellent skill.

Second goal i felt was ball to hand, rather than hand to ball, but i guess it makes no difference in modern day football, seems anytime a players hand touches the ball these days, its instantly a foul, no matter what the circumstances...and then keane uses his hand in much the same way and there is no penalty for his action. ingenious! :)

Blackburns first...should have been their second, after pongolle missed that sitter from half a yard out, 5 mins before hand, other than that, was a great cross and great header from sinama

4th and 5th goals were two other good goals...but how the ref or linesmen didnt give handball again for that tottenham lad ( i forget which one it was where he controlled it fabulously with his right hand), i just wont ever know, lol :)

Brilliant game though, blackburn were robbed not to at least come away with a point and tbh, on another day, would have come away with a win had they got their share of the green :)

and fairplay to robbie keane, i knew he'd come good, all he needed was a little responsibility, lol :)

like i said, swings and roundabouts.
    i was very impressed at the lack of diving in the game though. seems real men play at the lane ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

zabbo wrote:
    2-1 Flo Po, and the first liverpool striker to score this year

Did robbie not score v Man U. H eis a liverpool striker and scored this year. Think it was in the league too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Did robbie not score v Man U. H eis a liverpool striker and scored this year. Think it was in the league too.

Ooh you're scraping the barrell now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

fade2black wrote:
    Ooh you're scraping the barrell now...

No, I am answering in kind. It was maintained that FloPo was the first liverpool striker to score this year ( A current blackburn player ). Robbie scored v Man U this year, he is a Liverpool player, he is a striker. Does that not then mean that FloPo is not the first liverpool player to score in the league this season.

Great to see robbie playing well, hope he can get a good run in the team and carry those performance forward into the Euro qualifying campaign...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

anyone got a link to robbies goal...

yes, and the goal that never was at utd last year stopped us from being in europe this year.

it all adds up even in the long run.

besides, i dont think it was that dubious.

however, over all, a really enjoyable game, and on the performance blackburn deserved to come away with a point, but then again, how many times have i said that about spurs this season and it hasnt happened.
    its good to get the rub of the green for a change after 2 months of getting nothing.

good win. i have been sayiong blackburn have been a team to watch for the past three months.

Tottenham were 3 points off Europe last year, not 2. Therefore even if the United game had gone their way, they wouldn't of made Europe. Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Premier_League_2004-05
    Originally posted by fade2black

Not sure if you're referring to me but I said I could take Keane's second. What I couldn't take was the fact that Mido touched the ball three times before the throw-in for the first, and that Staltieri obviously thought he was in Canada playing basketball for his handball.

On Sky, they showed how he clearly had his eye on where the ball was going and stuck his hand out. Nelsen's was debatable I admit.
    Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    No, I am answering in kind. It was maintained that FloPo was the first liverpool striker to score this year ( A current blackburn player ). Robbie scored v Man U this year, he is a Liverpool player, he is a striker. Does that not then mean that FloPo is not the first liverpool player to score in the league this season.

Great to see robbie playing well, hope he can get a good run in the team and carry those performance forward into the Euro qualifying campaign...

What amazes me is that several Liverpool supporters on here have said that they wouldn't want Bellamy in there team. Have yas been watching his performances of late? Its laughable. He's missed half the season and still outscored any Liverpool striker by double in the Premiership.

Yesterday he showed both sides of his game, he's not only a superb finisher but a great creator. If only Pongelle had the same instinct for his first half chance. All he had to do was hit the ball with his shin and he couldn't even manage that.

He did take his goal well and hopefully it'll be the start of something. That said, he missed a sitter against Everton too and 1 goal from 4 starts isn't a great return.
    Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    like i said, swings and roundabouts.
    i was very impressed at the lack of diving in the game though. seems real men play at the lane

I was proud of Blackburn yesterday. Maybe once and for all people will now forget the 'Blackeye Rovers' tag that Mourinho gave them. They showed yesterday that they are a good footballing team, and should of at least got a point against a team who have only lost one game at home all season. This morning the papers are full of praise about what a great game it was and its about time Blackburn got some praise.

The fact that this was achieved missing our talisman and best player, Morten Gamst Pedersen, is testament to the rest of the team. I'm convinced that under Hughes Blackburn are definitely going to go on to bigger and better things.

The next five Blackburn games are against Villa, Middlesborough, Sunderland, Wigan and Portsmouth. Hopefully Rovers can go on a run like they did before Christmas.

pederson was only missing coz he was upstiars with Daniel Levy sorting out his contract for next season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I was proud of Blackburn yesterday. Maybe once and for all people will now forget the 'Blackeye Rovers' tag that Mourinho gave them. They showed yesterday that they are a good footballing team, and should of at least got a point against a team who have only lost one game at home all season. This morning the papers are full of praise about what a great game it was and its about time Blackburn got some praise.

They shed that tag ages ago, i only caught the first half but it was great stuff from blackburn. Delighted pongolle got a goal and im pretty certain he set up bellamy to make it 2-2, give the lad some credit;) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

• Advertisement

pederson was only missing coz he was upstiars with Daniel Levy sorting out his contract for next season :)

LOL. Whatever ya think, Pedersen has already come out and said that Spurs are only marginally better than Rovers and, on yesterday's performance, that margin has been closed. That's despite the fact that Jol has spent about five times more than Hughes, and that's no over estimation either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

What amazes me is that several Liverpool supporters on here have said that they wouldn't want Bellamy in there team. Have yas been watching his performances of late? Its laughable. He's missed half the season and still outscored any Liverpool striker by double in the Premiership.

....but liverpool are in 2nd place....blackburn are in 6th, and 12 points behind liverpool. liverpool strikers arent scoring at all, yet liverpool are 12 points clear of blackburn and bellamy...hmm, that would make blackburn more laughable in my book.

maybe liverpool strikers contribute more to the team defensively during a match than blackburns strikers?

none, of the teams in the top 3 right now would want bellamy. he's clearly a pain in the ass to alot of people, and rubs people the wrong way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

What the muck is going on in here?

Its pretty simple lads

Liverpool need new strikers, Man United need new midfielders.

Lemlin wrote:
    LOL. Whatever ya think, Pedersen has already come out and said that Spurs are only marginally better than Rovers and, on yesterday's performance, that margin has been closed. That's despite the fact that Jol has spent about five times more than Hughes, and that's no over estimation either.

i think you will find the main difference though is that spurs now have a depth of squad which blackburn do not have.
    3 or 4 players injured or suspecnded, and you will not have the same consistancy.

in fact, thats one of the main things that annoys me about fans who conintually moan about their team nearly being there, just needed another 3 or 4 players.
    at what stage are teams considered to be teams, and not just being rebuilt?
    when they own the best 11 players in the world? makes me laugh.
    people, talk about your team with the players you have, when you have them.

Spurs v Blackburn for supremecy of 4th place...../shrugs shoulder....;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If pool dont get 12 goals from somewhere between now and end of season, it be could Bbrun/Spurs for 3rd :eek:
    And with Bolton and WH with games in hand, arsenal could be 7th!

kdjac

Nah it'll be Arsenal before either of those two.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

KdjaC wrote:
    If pool dont get 12 goals from somewhere between now and end of season, it be could Bbrun/Spurs for 3rd :eek:
    And with Bolton and WH with games in hand, arsenal could be 7th!

kdjac

nah, boro for 4th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

nah, boro for 4th!

10 games left assuming they defend as is thats 6 cleasn sheets or so, to win enough of the games to ensure 2nd/3rd 12 goals would do it. Dont have any real toughies left. So a need to score could become dire.

kdjac

nah, boro for 4th!
    no!
    i am sparticus!

Glenn Roeder for Sunderland! He'll bring them to 4th!

Something for fan of Didier Drogba. :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Actually, how come byran robson didnt call his own player a cheat when he dived for the peno?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Actually how come the media weren't going on at Robson for starting all the crap in the first place. Oh no wait, thats no part of the agenda and plus he is English!

el rabitos wrote:
    ....but liverpool are in 2nd place....blackburn are in 6th, and 12 points behind liverpool. liverpool strikers arent scoring at all, yet liverpool are 12 points clear of blackburn and bellamy...hmm, that would make blackburn more laughable in my book.

maybe liverpool strikers contribute more to the team defensively during a match than blackburns strikers?

none, of the teams in the top 3 right now would want bellamy. he's clearly a pain in the ass to alot of people, and rubs people the wrong way

But Liverpool are a far bigger club than Blackburn. And Rafa Benitez has spent 75 million according to the panel on the Champions League last night (although I'm not sure that's accurate, sounds a bit high). Hughes spent 5 million on Bellamy.

The fact that you're sticking up for the defensive capabilities of Liverpool's strikers is more laughable. Is that all you can think of? I don't know how anyone who watched last night's game could have a good word to say about them. If Bellamy had been on that pitch last night, Liverpool would have scored the goals they needed. In fact, if DJ Campbell had been on that pitch, Liverpool would of scored.

I used to be a fan of Crouch but it looked to me last night like he has an in-built chip which means he can't hit the net.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    i think you will find the main difference though is that spurs now have a depth of squad which blackburn do not have.
    3 or 4 players injured or suspecnded, and you will not have the same consistancy.

in fact, thats one of the main things that annoys me about fans who conintually moan about their team nearly being there, just needed another 3 or 4 players.
    at what stage are teams considered to be teams, and not just being rebuilt?
    when they own the best 11 players in the world? makes me laugh.
    people, talk about your team with the players you have, when you have them.

I don't get your point at all here. Where have I made a point about Blackburn having players. I simply made a point that Hughes has got Blackburn to the same point as Jol has got Spurs spending a fifth of the money.

Blackburn's bench on Sunday was:

Enckelman - prone to error but still a good stopper and a former Premiership regular.
    Mokoena - South Africa's former captain and a player who has had good Premiership performances when needed.
    Sergio Peter - an up and coming star. Hailed the new MGP.
    Paul Dickov - reliable backup striker.
    Shefti Kuqi - reliable backup striker.

I can't see too many problems with Blackburn's strength in depth. The squad didn't even include Khizanishvili, Matteo and Tugay. Pretty good backup if you ask me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement