Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building a jukebox

• 04-03-2006 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

hi all,

im looking to build a 'simple' audio jukebox out of a pentium3 pc and BIG harddisk. Heres the catch...

Of all the links and google searches on the net, many progs both linux and windows based are available for doing this, but on a way higher level than i need. What i mean is, I dont want any fancy keyword searching capabilities or lcd feedback. I simply want a list of albums equal to numbers. I will have a basic ir remote control with standard play/pause/bkwd/fwd and 0-9 buttons, and a 'select disk' button. I will then have a printout of my albums and a corresponding number beside each one. I press 'select disk' button on remote then enter 3digit album number then press play. That simple. Anyone come across anything remotely similiar or know if something like this would be easy to code?

Thanks..

Btw

the bigger picture.

My house is wired with a multiroom audio distribution system, each room has ceiling mount speakers and a keypad on the wall. The keypad has buttons which can be programmed to learn any ir code and tx it back at the headend... ie where my jukebox will be. There is no way of sending txt/id3 to the lcds in the rooms so the easiest way to organise and select albums is to have a printout of albums=numbers in each room, and/or label the empty cd cases with the allocated jukebox number.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

That sounds like a fantastic setup! did you do that yourself when building the house or was it contracted? I may be moving house and was thinking of getting that done. Only thing is most of my music is just files, not from cds or anything so i'd need to see names of artists and songs etc.

regarding your problem, sry can't help but i'm sure there are a few solutions out there. What you could look at is how those 200cd players work, regarding taking input from a remote etc. Maybe you could transfer that to a pc somehow. Regarding your playlists, are you planning on making one for every cd you own cause that would be a serious trek! any way you could get a box that will stream your music for you by artist and stuff? making a list of cd names etc etc seems like a lot of hassle,

Lemme know how you get on,

Cheers,

Morf3h.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Synkro

hi Morf3h, yes it was a diy job! Not all that difficult just a nightmare running cables. House was being modded big time so walls were down and ceilings bare. Very glad i did it, sound is great and NO cables anywhere!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Some form of "media player", e.g. this one from kiss, would be cheaper?

Advertisement