Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Home Electrical Questions...

Options
  • 04-03-2006 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Ive a couple of small electrical things I want to do at home but have a couple of q's on them. Any advise much appreciated

1. I want to replace a single plug socket with a double. Is this just a simple replacement or would I need another set of power cables for the second socket i.e. can i just swap the socket itself?

2. Same kinda thing as above. I want to put a new socket on a wall where there is an existing socket on the other side of it. Can I take a feed of the existing socket for the new one or again do I need to get cables run from the main power first ?

Any advise much appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

1. - You don't need another set of cables.

2. - You can take a feed from the socket on the other side. Just another 3 wires from the existing socket to the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭david powell

I'd agree with the previous poster, but you'd best check the status/condition of the current wiring, the type of loads currently on each circuit, and the type of loads you want to add to each circuit...

i.e. if the house is built within the last 15/20 years or there's been some re-wiring done, there shouldn't be any issue.

i.e. if the the single socket is feeding the TV and you want a double so you can plug in a lamp or a video also there should be no issue. If your current single socket is feed your washing machine, and you wish to add a double socket so you can also feed a clothes dryier too, this might be an issue if both are on at once...

You have to look at the loads on the current circuit, and what you plan on adding onto it... I was installing a socket for a dish washer for my sister and tapped it off the dinning room circuit ( on the other side of the wall ) rather than tap it off the existing ring circuit in the kitchen. My reasoning was the dinning room circuit only had a TV + Video + lamp ( very low power items ) on it, where as the kitchen circuit had a washing machine + electric kettle + clothes dryer ( very high power items ) already on it.

Hope this helps....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I changed a single to a double and it was a pain in the ass even though I went from a flush mount to a surface mounted box. Added a spur at the same time. It was a bugger getting the wires into the new socket. The next week I found these double socket adapters in woodies. They plug into the single flush mount and are secured to the original single socket on the sides with tightening screws. Wouldn't have suited me because I had to take the socket off the wall anyway to run the spur but it should suit your purposes.

Downside is your single flush mounted socket becomes like a double surface mounted socket. Upside is you didn't have to dig out more of your plaster/wall to fit a new double flush mount back box and have to rewire the socket which can be very fiddley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dessied

Thanks for all the tips folks - v. useful and much appreciated.

There wont be any heavy usage on the double socket, just a lamp and phone I think...

Advertisement